iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

info needed backyard sawmills

Started by beaverdriver, March 19, 2013, 03:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaverdriver

hi hope everyones having a good day does anybody have any info on the backyard sawmills from Vancouver Island

Chuck White

Sorry I can't give you any info, but I can welcome you to the Forestry Forum.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
You're in the right place for information. Stand by.....
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

beaverdriver,welcome to the forum. looking to buy one,or having some problems with it or....?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beaverdriver

Hi thank you for the welcome. I am looking to buy a mill just not sure which one. There are so many out there, twin blade, swing, band. Have time on a bell saw, and a Norwood. I'm going to change things around and start a portable mill business. So lots to put together. I've got the sawdust bug.

justallan1

Welcome to the forum, Beaverdriver.

redbeard

Welcome beaverdriver !  And neighbor! At least were not to far as the crow flies.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Beaverdriver,

I found them on the web also,
No first hand experience with them
but maybe someone will chime in.

Care to share your background and how you found the FF?

best
DGDrls

dboyt

What size logs do you plan to be cutting?  Do you have a specific market in mind?  Going portable narrows things down a bit, since you will probably need to work without support equipment such as log loaders.  Consider the size of the mill and what you plan to move it with, and how easy it is to set up once you get it there.  If you will be working in residential areas, it will need to be small enough to work in tight places, and quiet enough that the neighbors won't complain.  I've used my Norwood right in driveways without even taking it off the truck, and towed it out into the woods with a tractor to get to a customer's pile of logs.  Let us know what you decide.  And welcome to the Forum!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

haywire woodlot

My neighbour used to have one, the sawyer model, he used to call it "a real slick little number" The family sold it after he passed on.
Dave

JVK

Welcome to the forum. I had one for ten years. Just sold it. I considered it a big upgrade from the years of chainsaw milling. Made enough money with it to buy a new LT 50 recently. What do you want to know about this mill? I'm your man.

thecfarm

How about a website? I like looking at mills.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

thecfarm

beaverdriver

Quote from: JVK on March 20, 2013, 12:27:46 PM
Welcome to the forum. I had one for ten years. Just sold it. I considered it a big upgrade from the years of chainsaw milling. Made enough money with it to buy a new LT 50 recently. What do you want to know about this mill? I'm your man.
Hi jvk I was looking at the wm line on the Web they look pretty good how's the band maintenance

beaverdriver

Quote from: redbeard on March 20, 2013, 12:22:59 AM
Welcome beaverdriver !  And neighbor! At least were not to far as the crow flies.
hey red beard looks like we're both 155 clicks apart unfortunately most of its ocean hows tree Supply on the island

losttheplot

Hi Beaverdriver,
There is a Wood Mizer dealer in Errington, Vancouver Island.
Not sure if you know that already.
They had some mills in stock last time I was there.
I used to have them sharpen my bands, they do a good job.

LTP.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

beaverdriver

Hi lost the plot. didn't know about the wm dealer in Errington thanks I'll have to take a look.I'd sure like tho drive one

redbeard

Beaverdriver Lots of trees here logs always seem to find me. Going to get a few more if this wind keeps it up were getting 60+ mph gusts nice spring storm. Love Vancouver island still has a lot of remote & wild country left on it. Good luck with your mill venture.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

JVK

Hi beaverdriver,
Maintenance is easy on this mill. Normal bearings, greasing and blade adjustments are simple. Having said that, I didn't know about WM ten years ago. I would look at the LT15. The price is about the same and resale could be easier.

I used my mill to cut 30' dock timbers (12" x 12" and bigger). One great thing about this mill is that you operate the sawhead from the non sawdust side. Good luck

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, beaverdriver.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!