iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another First

Started by Tree Feller, March 19, 2013, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I was sawing more Walnut and hit my first tramp metal...fence wire. I knew immediately that something had happened because I could feel the added resistance as I pushed the blade through the cut.  I finished sawing the log, hit wire a couple more times and then changed the blade.

I've got three more nice Walnut logs to saw and then will start sawing Red Oak and Post Oak. My Walnut stash is approaching 2000 bf of 4/4 and 8/4 boards.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Chuck White

Fences can be rough on a sawmill blade.

I once sawed through 3 strands of barbed wire in the same log.

After I exited the far end of the log, the 12 foot log became an 8 foot log!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

Try keeping a few cobaltized (bi-metal) blades for nails and fence wire.  They're pricey, but they do a good, clean job of cutting wood with wire in it.  I only use them on logs that I suspect have wire.  I found a local woodworker who thinks the wire gives the wood "character", and asked me if I had any more of it.  One slab more than paid for a cobaltized blade.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

pigman

I have to wonder what kind of knives the woodworker has on his planer to plane wire. :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Chuck White

Quote from: pigman on March 19, 2013, 03:58:36 PM
I have to wonder what kind of knives the woodworker has on his planer to plane wire. :-\

That's what I was thinking too!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tree Feller

All my sawing is for my own woodworking and I have to say, that black-stained wood is ugly to me. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I'll cut around the metal and stain...before planing or jointing.   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

GAB

Is it possible that the fellow has a wide belt sander and uses it instead of a planer?  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

hackberry jake

I think it would be neat to have a table made out of metaled wood. It would tell a story about where the tree came from and it would be unique. I would have to use the drum sander to work with it but it wouldn't take much more time.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!