iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End coating

Started by Lnewman, March 18, 2013, 11:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lnewman

Can you delay end ceiling a log if it is below freezing outside?
Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Anchorseal comes with antifreeze, but a log end with ice (or mud) cannot be coated...you would be coating the ice and not the wood.

The hard coatings (tar and elastomeric coatings are soft) will often cause planer knife damage, so cut off 1/4".  That is a lot less than cutting off a 2" or longer end check.

The wax coating is sometimes sprayed on and that means wax is on more than the end.  So, be sure to get well over 130 F to remove all wax before using the lumber in the manufacturing plant.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

tyb525

Mesquite, I was talking about trimming maybe 1/4", just enough to get rid of the wax. anchorseal is meant to prevent cracks due to drying out, but you still need to end trim at some point.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

OneWithWood

I end coat the log so there is no need to end coat individual boards.  The end coating on the board gets trimmed off when I cut to rough length before jointing, planning and cutting to width.  Never had an issue with end coating fouling any blade or migrating out into the field of a board.
Turning blocks do present some issues but I would think a band saw could eliminate any coatings before turning.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

I have not had any issues with the wax end coating either, and I have used a lot of anchorsealed lumber in the shop.  I do like you, too, Robert, and end coat the log, not the boards.  This confines the anchorseal to the end grain as any that gets on the log gets slabbed off. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lnewman

Has anyone used latex paint or pruning sealer ?
Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

beenthere

Lotsa people try both, and eventually find Anchorseal. But you can try it and find out why, if'n you'd like.
Let us know how it works. ;)

And I don't mean that to sound flippant. Some don't like it because of how it doesn't stop  moisture vapor movement and others getting it to stick to wet ends.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tee

Could I put Anchorseal in a garden sprayer and leave it there between uses? That seems like it would be convenient; pick it up shake it a little and go. Never used it so I have no idea if it would clog the nozzle or not.

mesquite buckeye

That works.  Ooops. Well, maybe not, I was thinking Timbore. Bet it clogs it up real good.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

OneWithWood

Quote from: Tee on April 18, 2013, 09:09:47 AM
Could I put Anchorseal in a garden sprayer and leave it there between uses? That seems like it would be convenient; pick it up shake it a little and go. Never used it so I have no idea if it would clog the nozzle or not.

You would need to put a much larger nozzle on it and be sure to clean the nozzle after spraying.
One With Wood

Ruffneck

I've been using Bailie's end sealer. The other day I applied some
to the end of a freshly cut Ponderosa Pine. Once it dried, I could
see the sap flowing heavy. Will I need to reapply the sealer?
Should I wait for sap to stop flowing before application?
Thanks!

Ianab

I wouldn't worry too much. Pine isn't usually end sealed anyway, and the stray sap probably helps to seal it as it oozes out and dries.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Compensation

Do you have to buy anchorseal from their website or have you seen it out and about?
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Nomad

Quote from: Compensation on May 05, 2013, 12:40:29 AM
Do you have to buy anchorseal from their website or have you seen it out and about?

WoodCrafters here carries Anchorseal.  I think there's at least one other place in town that has it too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

shinnlinger

Ive used paint and anchor seal, the anchor seal didn't really do much for me as I still had significant checking in bowl blanks.  Maybe I did something wrong?

As to cutting off a bit on the end of boards, I usually sticker stack right off the mill, which means the ends have been chainsaw cut when they were still in log form.  As good as I am with a chainsaw :), Usually the first thing I have to do is square up the end of the board, which means I'm  cutting at least 1/4 inch off.   Cutting off the sealer on the end is kind of a moot point as I have to do it anyways.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Compensation

With the wax I use for now I have some urge to mix in either food coloring or dye of some sort so I could color code lumber for when it is stacked. Maybe in a second or third coat. I have only sold some mantles to people and always thought it would help some if they could look at a chart and dive right in to their stack. Maybe make them feel a little more at home or more willing to come back due to organization. Anyone done this?
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

OneWithWood

I color coat for species and customer.  It helps a lot when unstacking the kiln charge and distributing to customers and bins.  A few of my steady customers have me mill and dry multiple species and they like the color id.  One end is coated by customer and the other by type of wood.
One With Wood

Al_Smith

Quote from: Compensation on May 05, 2013, 12:40:29 AM
I bought mine from some place in Ohio which was the cheapest at the time even with paying Ohio sales tax .Since then the price has escalated a tad bit .Actually all the stuff I have laying in logs now is tar sealed .Roof tar is actually less expensive ,messy though .

WDH

To get the original formulation (and better formulation), you have to call UC Coatings and order it.  You can only order the new "green" version on the website.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!