iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first grade lunch box

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, April 13, 2004, 04:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I was going through the attic recently and came across my first grade lunchbox.

Front:

Back:

gives me a warm feeling to look at it.
It still smells like egg salad sandwiches.
Someone, mabe me, spelled my name wrong on it.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

I had a blue beatles lunch pail. It was always down to Moms on the shelf just above the canned food next to the old blender and behind the pressure canner. I saw it there off and on for years. Always knew mom would hold on to it. When Moms memory started to fail and we knwe we were going to have to make other arrangements for her I figured I would get my lunch pail. The day I decided to take it home was the day I found it was gone. :-/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

etat

Holy WOW!  I always wanted BatMan but just had to settle for brown paper bags!!  That is WAY WAY Cool!!   :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

isawlogs

I had the Lone Ranger and Tonto.... also had the red and black rubber cowboy boots , they had little rubber spurs on them to  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

CHARLIE

I had a brown paper sack.  Actually I bet I had more than one. :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Kevin_H.

Scooby Doo lunch box....Wonder what happen to it...
Rut Roh.  :D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Haytrader

Did anyone else see the peice on TV about the lunch box collection at a big museum?
Some were worth BIG BUCKS
Probably the one you had, Jeff, is in that category.  :'(
I just saw this in the last day or two.
Haytrader

SwampDonkey

I had the plain old black painted lunch box with the rounded top for a thermos of soup. In elementary I don't recall haven a lunch box, we had hot lunch programs in the schools. Our moms would volunteer to cook. Actually, it was moms that belonged to the Woman's Institute. Every community had a WI hall, usually a converted 1 room school house. My mom belonged to that group for years and later Farm Woman's groups.

moms :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

junkyard

My older Bothers or Sister picked me up at the door and we all walked the six miles both ways uphill home for lunch and back. Actualy past two houses and across the road to home. I was a Towny we had a Jersey cow, chickens and pigs so did the neighbors.
Beaver Falls population 600.
            Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Patty

We were so poor, we had to reuse the same brown lunch sack day after day!  Then on the school bus on the way home, the other kids would have cookies and neat snacks...I got soda crackers. ::)

I still haven't recovered from the trauma. :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Hey ! I like soda crackers

With peanut butter or cheese whiz on'm  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bro. Noble

Patty,

I know that trauma :'(

When I was in the first grade we left the farm and moved to the big city.  The other kids laughed at my 'lard pail' lunch box and it's contents.  I just loved that new city grub----balogna sandwitch with ketchup on it.  Well they weren't quite as good by noon on a hot day ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

We had hot lunches at school till I was in 5th grade, when I was sent to a temporary school while they tore down the old one and built a new one. There was no lunch room there, so I got one of those round-topped boxes with a thermosity bottle. I was sure glad it didn't have pictures on it. It looked just like the one Chester Riley took to the aircraft plant on TV. :)

In those days, 5th grade boys carried pocket knives, and we played mumbly-peg with them at recess. I wonder how that would go over now? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Chester was my Hero!  

What a dull day without a pocket knife, a pocket full of marbles, a bicycle and access to some kind of ball. :D

Frickman

You're right Tom, no need for video games. We entertained ourselves.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Jeff

I listen to Chester Riley every Monday at 11:30 A.M. On NPR.  My favorite of all the radio shows they run.

Cantcha just hear it?

The Life of Riley.
The Life if Rily. Staring William Bendix as Riley

Tom

What a revoltin' development this is. ;D

If anybody ever gets smart enough to write for that show and they put it on again,  I sure hope they star Michael Richards, aka Cramer of Seinfeld fame, as Chester Riley. :D

oldsaw-addict

QuoteYou're right Tom, no need for video games. We entertained ourselves.

Never have more true words been said. Heck I still entertain myself :D At least when I start to get bored I entertain myself and I do a pretty dnag good job of it too.  I had the basic nylon insulated lunchbox while I was in school from 1st through 8th grade, then I decided I was just tired of sitting in a room full of foolish people talking about their personal lives, instead I decided to sit outside and read, think, just relax, walk around, sometimes talk with other kids that decided to be outside the cafeteria, it was much better than the mindless droning of kids in a cafeteria. Besides it was cooler outside anyways, I liked that better than the boredom of the room of kids talking, I wasnt allowed to have anything even remotely fun even though I went to a public school, they didnt allow knives, power tools, anything sharper than a pencil tip was and probably still is forbidden, crazy paranoid people. I'm only as dangerous as the grass with a knife, unlike rambo with an M60 or something like that.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Jeff

beenthere

Wow, does that "Life of Riley" bring back vivid 'late 40's" memories. Thanks for that link, Jeff.  Along with Jack Armstrong, Sky King, Lone Ranger, and a few others, we only had radio for entertainment ("don't set so close to that speaker, its not good for your ears"). Also listened to Little Orley 78 rpm records by Uncle Lumpy (Lumpy Brannum), and read the Lil Abner comics and Al Capp's 'Shmoo' craze.  :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!