iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 046

Started by Jeff76, April 13, 2004, 03:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff76

I have a 3-4 year old stock Stihl 046, what are are some ways to get more power out of it, with out spending a lot of money.  
thanks,
  Jeff

oldsaw-addict

Welcome to the forum Jeff76!

lets see, theres the option of drilling a few holes in the muffler for more power, theres the possiblilty of having Dozer Dan power port your saw, if you are willing to spend some $$$ which reminds me, how much are you willing to spend on your saw for more HP? You could also go to Madsens website and order a larger air filter for your saw. IF you REALLY want to get the most out of your saw there are a few resident saw builders here on FF that can help, Dozer Dan, EHP, and a few others around the site.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Kevin

Welcome Jeff.
The question I have is , why would you want more power from a saw that size?

jokers

Kevin,

Why not?  ;D

Jeff,

Putting a factory dual port muffler on it and adjusting the carb or modifying what you have is the cheapest and almost the best bang for your buck. Next is a larger air filter since the Stihl filters are notorious for choking air flow.

The far and away best bang for your buck is a sharp chisel chain, good sprocket, and trued bar.

Russ

Kevin

I can see doing the muffler modification to make the saw run cooler but for a working saw it should have plenty of power unless we're talking really big wood.

Bushwhacker

Jeff76,
 I agree with what Kevin said. I have an MS460 which I put a dual port muffler cover on. It is a Stihl part actually for an  MS440 but fits a 460. It increased the power considerably.Price is around $30.00 and well worth it.
KLH

Bushwhacker

Jeff, I forgot to give Part# It's 1128 140 0616. Just in case you want to get one The #will save you some time. Good Luck
KLH

Preston

Welcome Jeff
I run a hopped up 046 and love it! I usually put an extra port on the muffler and then take the baffle inside out with a drill! Then put a Maxi-flow filter system on it and thats about all I do and I'm pretty happy with! Madsens sells them filter system if your interested!
Preston

Thank You Sponsors!