iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Maunal Band mill, Whats the best way to make some extra cash?

Started by strunk57, March 17, 2013, 10:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strunk57

OK, First off i wanna say thanks for all the info and advice given thus far, This is a great group of people willing to help, and i would not have got this far or even tried if i had'nt joined FF.

Now i have my mill set up, my blades sharpened and cutting even lumber. I need more practice obviously starting 3 days ago but i would like some advice on what i can do to make some extra money while sawing? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

thecfarm

WDH has it right down to a science. Here in Maine we don't have the nice wood and I don't think the wood workers either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

What can you make and sell with the wood you are cutting? Picnic tables or other outdoor furniture? Garden sheds? Fences?

$50 of wood and an afternoon of basic construction gives you a $200 table.

What you can make will depend to some extent on what wood you have available to saw. You want something naturally durable for outdoor furniture. But I suggested that because you can get into it with only basic tools and wood work skills. More advanced stuff, potentially more $$, but you will need more money invested in tools.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

You either have to develop a market for your sawing service or your lumber.  What is your log availability?

Furniture lumber for woodworkers and hobbyist normally would need to be dried and they also my ask for various sizes and species.  This requires time, inventory, and storage.

I normally suggest that new sawyers get permission to set the sawmill up at a Seed & Feed store.  Spring is coming and there is lots of traffic on Saturdays with folks buying seed and plants.

Finding your niche' market may be simple or illusive depending upon you and your potential customers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

strunk57

Ianab- What is WDH?

Magic man- That is a very good idea about the feed store, I bet i could saw a lot, we only have one feed store and it stays busy. That would also be a god way to get my name out there.....However i dont think im ready for that I want my product to be high quality, so i will practice till i feel comfortable going public.

And i meant to mention I have mostly white pine and red cedar to work with.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

thecfarm

WDH is a member on here that has a manual mill and sells lumber to wood workers.
This link will explain about his operation.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61502.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tyb525

I would put some ads on Craigslist. You will have a lot of calls from people that aren't serious, but you might find someone really interested in buying lumber/getting logs sawn from an ad.

Also you might look up member Busy Beaver Lumber. He has a small mill and makes a lot of things. Bowl blanks are for woodturners come to mind.

Many woodworkers are looking for small amounts of unique wood. This can be good when you come across that one unique species or figured log. Low volume which is good for a hobby mill.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

redbeard

This time of year if have good supply of cedar raised garden beds are good sellers. Possibly 2" or thicker material might attract some garden people. Craigslist is a good outlet to use. You do have to put up with the low ballers and the people that like to ask one question at a time through email.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, strunk57

Try to find youself a niche market, in other words, something that people can't get just anywhere.

An idea might be kits, which would be a package of lumber to build small "yard buildings", picnic tables, benches, etc.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jd_odell

Quote from: redbeard on March 18, 2013, 01:40:04 AMCraigslist is a good outlet to use. You do have to put up with the low ballers and the people that like to ask one question at a time through email.

Man, ain't THAT the truth!   :D :D :D

ladylake

If you can get white oak or another rot resistant wood trailer decking sells good, saw it one day gone the next.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WDH

I agree with Chuck and Ian that "kits" would be good.  Pine is a tough sell.  Too much competition from the big guys.  Right now I have black walnut, red oak, white oak, hard maple, soft maple, yellow poplar, sweetgum, sycamore, chinaberry, red cedar, pecan, hackberry, persimmon, and yellow pine.  Red oak is the best seller, closely followed by black walnut. 

Cutting yellow pine at 1 1/16" rough allows you to provide barn/fence/stall/cheaper-project-wood that the big box stores and lumber yards do not carry.  Construction grade pine is too easy to get everywhere, cheap.

However, like Magicman said, you have to have space, sheds, storage, and you have to dry the wood.  I only air dry, so you also have to treat the lumber to keep insects, especially powderpost beetles, out of the wood.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: strunk57 on March 17, 2013, 11:05:58 PMHowever i dont think im ready for that I want my product to be high quality, so i will practice till i feel comfortable going public. 
A Seed/Feed store setup is not about sawing.  It's about "planting a seed" about your venture and getting your name out to the public.  Folks that see you may not contact you for two or more years, but they remember that you were the guy at the seed store.  Bag the Cedar sawdust and give it to folks and give the lumber to the seed store owner.  You would not need but a couple of logs.  Make one cut, shut it down, and talk to folks.  Pass out business cards and brochures. 

Newspapers always need community stuff so go by the newspaper office and alert them so that they can send someone out to take pictures of the event.

How about that last one for free front page advertisement.  A Cherry tree had fallen in a residential area and I was contacted about it.  A few calls to the city alderman and the newspaper and we made a full production out of it.  Sure, we blew it out of proportions, but it worked and I was the winner.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Lynn, I need a PR agent. I'll wire you a retainer fee.  ;D

justallan1

Welcome to the forum Strunk.
First figure out what the species of wood you are sawing is used for. I'm in eastern Montana, we have pine.
One of the things I did before buying a mill was talk to the local lumberyard. Great guy and he offered to buy anything I saw or sell it for me. Obviously, you are not getting what he's selling it for. I went 2 towns over to a lumberyard checking prices there also, and they wanted a business card because they just can't get rough sawn lumber.
"Accidently" have half a load with you when your at the ag supply store. Knowing the local veterinarian is a good thing, they know more about what's going on in your community than the preachers wife. :D
Allan

m wood

"Accidently" have half a load with you when your at the ag supply store. Knowing the local veterinarian is a good thing, they know more about what's going on in your community than the preachers wife.

I like justallan1's way of thinking.  magicmans got a handle on the PR too.  I personally build the picnic tables and swings this time of year.  You'll find your market strunk, then its up to you to grow it if you wish. 

I wish I had some cedar 'round here :-\
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Ianab

QuoteI have mostly white pine and red cedar to work with.

Have a look at these sheds
http://www.woodworx.co.nz/pages12/gardensheds.htm

Now those are something that you could build with rough sawn green pine, and clad with Cedar weatherboards or board and batten cladding. Use the cedar for anything exposed or ground contact, use the pine for the protected internal structure and they will last for years.

Dog kennels, chicken houses, aviaries, kids play houses etc. 

Remember you aren't selling cheap junk, these are quality solid wood buildings. But you can compete on price (and quality) as you are sourcing your own wood. Your stuff should actually be superior to the imported store bought stuff as you can use full dimension stock. It's produced local. It's "green" etc. You can custom build. Those are your selling points

Now you aren't competing directly with other sawmills to sell boards. OK, maybe you are completing with other garden shed sellers, but you have those advantages over them.

Only having a small manual mill in this scenario isn't a big handicap as only a small percentage of the time is actually spend sawing.

Spend a day logging
A day sawing
A day building
A day "marketing" and delivering
A day just gets "used" on other stuff, so plan for that as well.

Now with a fancy mill you would saw the wood in 1/2 a day, but that wont double your production as all the other steps are the same.

And as far the the financial use of the trees goes, you have earned far more $$ from each tree you have harvested, and if you have enough acreage, probably only need to harvest at a sustainable rate. Meaning the trees are growing fast enough behind you that you never run out.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

hamish

Mainly you just need to figure out what your local market is.  Turns out mine is rough cut 5/4 for hunt camps, sell every bit I cut, and now buying logs to keep up with the demand.
Any and all basswood I mill gets sold to a local custom moldings shop, happened due to the owner noticing I had a load of basswood cut up as fire wood in the back of my truck.

Dimensional SPF, unless for friends or family I dont do, easier in most case to go to the lumber yard and buy them graded and kiln-dried.

This spring I will attempt to market rough cut, kiln dried, jointed 5/4........will see how that goes.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

strunk57

Sorry guys been very busy last couple days, All this is great advice, and i understand what you guys are telling me, and it makes sense, So I think the first thing i am going to try is some raised cedar flower beds and pre fabricated pine decking for mobile homes. I think those two would sell good in my area. Again Thanks for all the advice.

francismilker

Quote from: Magicman on March 18, 2013, 08:18:30 AM
Quote from: strunk57 on March 17, 2013, 11:05:58 PMHowever i dont think im ready for that I want my product to be high quality, so i will practice till i feel comfortable going public. 
A Seed/Feed store setup is not about sawing.  It's about "planting a seed" about your venture and getting your name out to the public.  Folks that see you may not contact you for two or more years, but they remember that you were the guy at the seed store.  Bag the Cedar sawdust and give it to folks and give the lumber to the seed store owner.  You would not need but a couple of logs.  Make one cut, shut it down, and talk to folks.  Pass out business cards and brochures. 

Newspapers always need community stuff so go by the newspaper office and alert them so that they can send someone out to take pictures of the event.

How about that last one for free front page advertisement.  A Cherry tree had fallen in a residential area and I was contacted about it.  A few calls to the city alderman and the newspaper and we made a full production out of it.  Sure, we blew it out of proportions, but it worked and I was the winner.

mm, are you sure you don't want to become my pr rep and get my name out to other folks as well?  That last article was a good score!!!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Magicman

Most and especially rural newspapers have nothing of interest to write about.  It is a simple matter to make a personal visit and talk with whoever is in charge of local interest items and discuss an upcoming saw job.  They may just jump at the opportunity.

Since everything had been prearranged, I sawed that Cherry log in the last picture in the morning and that article was in that same afternoon's paper.  The newspaper editor was so hyped up about it that he was there watching me saw.  A closer look at the picture shows the 90 year old man that got the lumber framed in the sawmill's opening.  I later talked with the newspaper photographer about that picture and he said that "sometimes things just work".

thecfarm

My wife called up once to place an ad about our greenhouse. They came and did an article like Magicman,one whole color page and some more on the next page and all for free too. We just talked about what was here,from my Grandparents days to now. As Magicman said,they really made us sound good.  ;D  There was even a women that use to live out back here that came to find us from the article. We had others that read the article too and hunted us down.

Magicman

Shall we say that a couple of other folks with sawmills in my area were less than amused when those two articles came out.  I do not need to do it again because I do not want any additional business.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!