iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

024 AVS Whimpy White Spark

Started by martyinmi, March 17, 2013, 09:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyinmi

My go to saw since the 80's has been my little 024. Other than a boot and a few lines and filters over the years, it has been very reliable.
A few weeks ago it started acting up a bit. It would start up as usual, but then would just die as if it I switched it off. If I allowed it to idle for a minute or so it might rev up and cut fine, or it might not.
I've changed the plug and that made no difference. I pulled the recoil and unhooked the black kill wire going to it, then put it back on and it acts the same, so I'm guessing the problem is from the coil or plug wire?
The spark is really white in color, but it appears to fire every time. It still bites hard enough to make the muscles in my back stay in knots for a few hours. :-[

Any suggestions on where to start testing? Cosmetically everything looks fine.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

lumberjack48

It could be a crack in a wire, causing it to ground out once in a while.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Well nephew it's hard to say what you have .It could be a funky coil which is Stihl number 1125 400 1300 .Now this coil is used on several or a variation of same which they say fits .Namely 026 ,028 ,029 ,039 034 ,036 and 038 .Maybe some more .You can flea bay it from 10 bucks to over 60 depending on how proud they are of it .Some of them are real proud ,like a pea cock .

Some times the danged things over heat which will cause problems ,blow the sawdust out of that thing if you haven't already .

martyinmi

Quote from: AdkStihl on March 18, 2013, 08:03:55 AM
Try a new coil
Stopped by my local dealer tonight on my way home from work.
100 bucks for a coil? :snowball:
I don't think so.
Fleabay here we come! :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

:D I told you they were proud of them .

martyinmi

I did not want to order a new coil from Fleabay unless I knew for sure that mine was bad, so I had my dealer test it for me. Turns out that it was bad. :-\
Now for the good news.
He did a little research for me and found out that the old 024AVS's had a lifetime warranty on the coils. 8) 8)
He charged me 20 bucks to diagnose the problem and swap out the coil. :)
I didn't even like the idea of putting a $100 coil on a $100 saw one bit, soooo.........now I am......

Happy Happy Happy 8) 8) smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_bounce smiley_bounce
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

AdkStihl

Glad you got it fixed and ............ Youre Welcome  ;D

J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Whaaaaat ,a life time warranty ,never heard of such a thing .It's probabley worth more than a hundred to somebody .Well glad it worked out well .

bandmiller2

Try Scott at Chainsawr he has some new aftermarket modules that throw a good spark. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

Thank You Sponsors!