iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to finish cherry board

Started by Cityarb, March 17, 2013, 04:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cityarb

I'm trying to decide which would be the best method to finish this cherry board. I have put a coat of danish oil with cherry stain,but I'm wondering how to finish form here. It has some beautiful grain and I want to be able to enhance the grain and show the depth of the grain as well. Any suggestions?

tyb525

A few more coats of danish maybe, sanding lightly with scotch bright or fine sandpaper in between.

I don't know if you can put some semi-gloss polyurethane over danish oil, if you can that would definitely give it depth. I will wipe on several coats of the poly if I want a really nice finish, you might want to thin it just a little if you do that.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

If you keep applying more coats of danish oil, it will develop a deep luster and soft glow.  Follow the directions on the can.  Danish oil on sherry is very nice.  You don't need to stain it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 17, 2013, 10:03:02 PM
  Danish oil on sherry is very nice.

I had an old girlfriend named Sherry. If I had known Danish Oil would have made her look better, I would have used it.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 18, 2013, 09:40:42 AM
Quote from: WDH on March 17, 2013, 10:03:02 PM
  Danish oil on sherry is very nice.

I had an old girlfriend named Sherry. If I had known Danish Oil would have made her look better, I would have used it.  say_what

I always liked my sherry chilled, in a nice glass, though I will admit to drinking it straight from a bottle on a few occassions when I was young and stupid!  ::)

Ya'll be good now.

Herb

Sprucegum

You can put an oil-based polyurethane over Danish oil but the danish has to dry about three weeks first, I mean it has to be dry - sherry dry. ::)

Cityarb

Thanks for the replys guys! I think I'll try the poly... with a bit of sherry.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 18, 2013, 08:27:13 PM
Danish oil on sherry  :P ::).

That's what you said in REPLY #2.  :P See it?  ;D

tyb525

Is Sherry used to thin Danish oil ???  :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

I thought that I should at least do some research on it if I recommended it  :).

Busy Beaver Lumber

Putting Danish Oil, or for that matter any oil on someone named Sherry is probably a good way to wind up in the wood shed. smiley_turkey_dancing
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

isawlogs

I know for a fact that Sherry is good for a broken leg, taken in quantity, makes for the hour drive to hospital in a 3/4 ton pick-up almost bearable .....( almost is the key word here ) :-X :-\ :'( :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

OK, now back to the sherry cherry  :).

SPIKER

Remebering the ole cooking show "a little bit of cooking sherry for ME a little bit for the dish a little more fo rME"  SShhlittle bits SSmmmoore for sseemmmmeee   lol.

Nice looking CHERRY board & look forward to some finished shots, & might I ask are those "LEG holes" in the board or for rope for hanging?

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Cityarb

Yes, Mark those are leg holes. I'm in the process of making a somewhat rustic table. I promise to post pics when it's done

Cityarb

How about a Danish Sherry with an oil rub. Now you guys got me doing this stuff.

WDH

Not you, too  :).  (If I could spell this would have never happened  :-\). 

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on March 22, 2013, 09:37:22 PM
Not you, too  :).  (If I could spell this would have never happened  :-\).

Sorry, I must have misheard you. Sounded like you said "Sherry me back to Ol' Virginny..."

Herb

WDH

Wasn't it Sherry that ran the ferry across the River Styx?

Magicman

Oh no Danny, you are confused again.  It was the Cádiz.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tiny tinkr

maybe  few more coats of danish oil. remember tht cherry wil darken with age. keep any moisture away.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on March 23, 2013, 07:48:09 AM
Wasn't it Sherry that ran the ferry across the River Styx?

I thought Gerry and the Pacemakers said it was the ferry cross the Mersey...

Herb

Cityarb

It's been a while since I've been back. I used the Minwax poly I can say I'm completely impressed with the finish. Thanks for all your help!

Axe Handle Hound

That turned out awesome!  I'm guessing the holes in the legs that poke through the top are for round keys?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Mike...what a shine! Good job!

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Cityarb on March 22, 2013, 08:56:17 PM
Yes, Mark those are leg holes. I'm in the process of making a somewhat rustic table. I promise to post pics when it's done

I thought that's where the grits went. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Beautiful wood needs a natural finish.  You did good.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

samandothers

Beautiful finish.   I am sure Sherry will appreciate it!

VT_Forestry

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Thank You Sponsors!