iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Its cut and WOW beautiful

Started by mmartone, March 17, 2013, 01:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

My tree service buddy called me and said he had giant sweetgum and a pretty nice pecan to take down about 45 min from here. My buddy jack and I loaded up before lunch yesterday and rode to the house to get the pecan loaded up on the trailer and head home. We had made arrangements to cut some oak for a guy who cuts firewood but had some nice pieces to slap out. Well Jack and I worked all day and after fixing the light wiring on one truck and trailer wiring on the big trailer and the loose fuel solenoid plug on the stup grinder (in the dark) so they could grind the pecan stump. We got home about 10pm, gone a little longer than we had planned! We had a good time, ran a few saws, loaded wood, ate some fair barbe-Q. Unloaded the trailer this morning, had to cut some of the longer pieces because my little tractor cant move them, ran back to the yard and they loaded the rest of the pecan on my trailer, still a pile of sweetgun in their other truck. The first pic has a cookie out of the base of the sweetgum about 8" thick.

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Magicman

Better you than me.  smiley_thumbsdown  ;D

Those good "logs" in the first picture are going to do bad things.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Magicman

I am smiling with you because I have tied into stuff like that before.

Surprisingly, sometimes it will even make lumber.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It is tough to dry straight, and with big knots, it is neigh on impossible to dry straight  :).  I look forward to seeing how your  smiley_devil does!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mmartone

We moved the mill to the trailer and used the tractor to roll the log onto the mill after we broke the cable! We did a little trimming to clear the guides and made 2 passes to clean up an edge, more tomorrow. Its about 30" across at the widest part, and pretty straight. Question is do I cut 4" slabs or what?

WDH

If it were mine, I would cut a mix of 4/4, 6/4, and 8/4.  That makes the mix versatile if someone wants to build a piece of furniture, a table, or make benches.  Maybe one-half 4/4, one-fourth 6/4, and one-fourth 8/4. 

4" slabs confine you to fireplace mantles for the most part. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mmartone

Ok, well thats what we will cut out of it. We pushed the log onto the ramps that we had sitting on the trailer (almost horizontal), and rolled it 90degrees and pushed it back to the stops. Did a little more trimming with the chainsaw and made a few more passes trying to straighten out the second side. Maybe we can get this done by the weekend, tough to get much done wnen you have to work for a living!

mmartone

We cut the large straight log tonight, the first few cuts were nothing exciting, though so what... Then we got further in and WOW its gorgeous. Cut some 1" some 1.5" and some 2" all about 22" wide including 2 pieces of each book matched. Heres what some of them look like wet and in the dark:

clww

Pretty-looking slabs! 8) Hope you sticker and weight them down so they don't go crazy as they dry.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mmartone

They will be! I'm hoping they behave well since was a pretty straight log and not much of anything for knots, the rest of the pieces will be a different story...

clww

I would stay away from 4" thick for sure. Pecan is the heaviest wood I've ever messed around with. Even the small trees are heavy.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

With all the different thicknesses, how are you stickering it to air-dry straight?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Quote from: beenthere on March 21, 2013, 11:57:28 PM
With all the different thicknesses, how are you stickering it to air-dry straight?

As long as you have enough of each thickness to make a complete layer in the stack it's fine to mix and match thicknesses in the drying stack.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

QuoteAs long as you have enough of each thickness to make a complete layer

;D
That is what I was getting at, via my question. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mmartone

Probably put a 2-2" then 2-1.5" then the 1" and back the other way with the last 2" on top of the stack.

WDH

Put the very best boards on the bottom with lower grade stuff on top to serve as weight for the better stuff.  The heartwood in pecan, especially quartersawn, is beautiful.  Yours are especially nice!

thecfarm

Nice pictures to go along with a nice story. Thank you. Did someone mention PIE??  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Lumber from a mature Pecan log is usually an eye popper and your pictures prove it.   :)

justallan1

Wow! Very nice slabs. What's the plans for them?
Allan

Okrafarmer

I'm still waiting to see the sweetgum milled up. Big sweetgum is even beautifuler than  smiley_devil , says I. Bring on the sweetgummery, me lads!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

You are correct Jim.  I have sawed Sweetgum that was used as wall paneling and it was awesome.  It is also the  smiley_devil 's  wife.

Chuck White

Most times, some of the gnarliest looking logs make the best lumber or slabs!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dodgy Loner

If those knotty pecan logs were mine, I would have to post this topic in the FOOD section because I would be using that wood to smoke a Boston butt ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

drobertson

nice work martone!  thats' some good looking slabs for sure, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!