iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Burned Today

Started by wwsjr, March 16, 2013, 05:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwsjr

I was at my nephew's house next door when a neighbor stopped and yelled "your sawmill is on fire". It was totally involved. I called 911 on my radio, I am also fire chief of our VFD. Pumper on scene within 5 minutes.The mill, millshed, attached shop is a total loss. Front tires on tractor nearby burned but I was able to start and back away from the fire. Lost both of my chainsaws, leaf blower, 70 WM blades, all my electric hand tools, planer, tablesaw, air compressor and all my hand tools. Both of my logrite cant hook have bent handles from the heat. It may be time to retire.
Insurance on mill with MAI, I don't think anything else is covered.

No one hurt and it was just "Things".

Willie   
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

DaleK

Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

sigidi

Heck Willie!!!!!!!!

That is crazy,pleased no one got hurt. Do ya know how it started?
Always willing to help - Allan

customdave

Sorry to hear this , hard pill to swallow. Glad nobody was hurt! Wish you luck with your insurance , keep your chin up Willie.... :-\

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

thecfarm

I am very sorry to hear that bit of bad news.   :'(   Retire? You would miss the sawing.   ;D     Sounds like you had quite the operation going there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Any idea what happened?

I was up to the neighbors who was boiling down sap yesterday. I was just looking around inside the shed they was boiling down in. I seen a couple of things going on that could cause troubles, on top of the guy saying the door to the firebox had turned nice and red the last time they boiled down. I'm thinking a sugar shack might be one less soon.  :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

yarnammurt

Sorry to hear it, My truck burn down about 2 months ago had insurance with Nationwide but still got took to the cleaners, Hope you have better luck than I did
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

mikeb1079

arrggh.  that sucks man, sorry to hear it.  what a drag. 

keep us posted on how things progress and good luck.   
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Bibbyman

What a tragedy.   

Any idea how it started?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

wwsjr

No idea how it started, I had gone to the mill about 15 minutes before to get tools we needed at my nephew's. I saw nothing that indicated a problem. It was a hot fire, melted alum block on pressure washer. Oh well, God has blessed me for years, we will move on. Did not burn any of the several thousand feet of oak and pine I had custom sawed for customers this week.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

dblair

sorry  to hear about your misfortune . a real bummer . I'm the same age as you , don't know what my response would be . take your time and let your mind heal before you make any hasty decisions .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Fla._Deadheader

:o :o :o  Holey Moley.  :o :o :o

Believe I would go fishing, first thing in the morning.

Sorry to read about this.  The one thing I fear the most. It's usually a total loss.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

pineywoods

OUCH...that hurts down here too. Things can be replaced, glad you are OK.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WoodenHead

That is terrible news!   :o  But I am glad everyone is okay.  Amazing that your customer's wood was not touched (that was a real blessing  ;) )  Hopefully everything works out with your insurance.  I wish you all the best!

moandrich

My prayers are with you. 
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

WH_Conley

Bill

Jeff

That's about a cruddy thing to have happen.  :-\ Any idea of the cause? Be sure to let us know how MIA handles things for you.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jasperfield

I sure am sorry to read about this. Many times we don't know why these things occur; but, there is a reason.

Skoalbandit78

I am sorry to hear about your loss, glad no one was hurt.

Chuck White

Sorry to hear about your loss Willie!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

Sorry to hear of your loss!  Glad no one was hurt and your moved your tractor in time.   

WDH

Tom would have said, "What a revolting development".  I share the same sentiment.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

DanG :(  That suxs man  :( :(  Glad no one was hurt.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ND rancher

Sorry to read of your loss.I'm glad that it was only things and not you while you moved the tractor. Keep your spirit up.  Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Left Coast Chris

So sorry to hear of the loss.  Be sure and check your homeowners insurance.  They often include out buildings.  If you have a good local agent sometimes they take care of you.  Allstate was really good to me in the past.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

isawlogs

One thing I fear most just happened to you, terrible, terrible news Glad no one was hurt. Tools can be replaced with time. Heart breaking to hear about it,   :-\ :'(
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Justin@Wv

What a tragedy! Ease your mind and seek the wisdom of the lord, he will guide your next descions that you make....
"With these hands"

scully

This is one of those tests in life we are given when we realy don't need one . I hope you bounce back bigger and better than ever !
I bleed orange  .

rmack

The earth takes back everything and everyone, fire just makes it quicker.

Sorry for your loss.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

5quarter

If the Ins. Co. gives you full replacement cost on your mill, Take a little time to find a good used one and use the remainder to repurchase some of the basic gear you need to run on as well as pay a few bills until you're getting the work out again. Contact ALL your customers and tell them what happened and when you expect to be back in business. everyone will hear about the fire...but not all will hear when your back up and running. Customers will admire your resilience.
This guy opened up a small BBQ restaurant a few years ago and had been doing OK. The place burned down last year and apparently he didn't have sufficient coverage to rebuild. He rebuilt anyway. There was a big sign out from of his place the whole time that said, "grand re-opening any day now!". he has since opened up and is busier than ever.

Just know that all of us here are pullin for you.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SwampDonkey

5quarter, I'm not so sure insurance works that way. There probably won't be anything "leftover" for the extras unless they are part of the replacement value. I know on a house, if you downsize, the insurance won't pony up the balance between the replacement of the old and a smaller home.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Satamax

Willie, i wish you the best of luck.   I don't know what i would do without my tools.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

jd_odell

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 17, 2013, 02:21:38 AM
5quarter, I'm not so sure insurance works that way. There probably won't be anything "leftover" for the extras unless they are part of the replacement value. I know on a house, if you downsize, the insurance won't pony up the balance between the replacement of the old and a smaller home.

Not true on my farm house insurance policy.  If I pay premiums on $1,000,000.00 insurance coverage, and it burns to the ground (total loss), I receive a check for $1,000,000.00.  Different policies have different coverage details...

SwampDonkey

I pay for an assessed value to replace the existing structure. My agent told me if I was to downsize there is no balance. One of the reasons they ask about any improvements to the house, it changes the assessment to replace the place besides the inflation adjustments. Anyway my agent told me he gets that question a lot. That's why it's always worth looking into. We have a limited number of insurers here and only a few will even cover old farm houses, some won't want anything to do with them. I have an old farmhouse. Some insurers won't cover log homes neither. Had cousins that lost a log home, in order to get the settlement they could not build a log home to replace it.

stavebuyer

Sorry to hear of your loss and hope you can find a way to rebuild if thats what in your heart to do.

customsawyer

Sorry to hear of your loss. If there is anything I can do to help you just let me know.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

Sorry to hear of the fire. Wishing you all the best.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

brb

Sorry to hear that! Keep your chin up and the answers will come to you.

Peter Drouin

Good luck with getting a new mill and all new tools, something like this makes us all look at what we have, and look for things that might lite up too :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ellmoe

Been there, done that, twice. Not a good thing to have happen, you sure have my sympathies. If you were thinking about retiring, now would be a good time to give it serious thought, but if that was not in your plans, why quit? If your insurance money gets you part way back to being whole, and you enjoy what your are doing, and it makes financial sense, I hope you renew yourself and get back up to bat.
Best of wishes.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Magicman

Wow Willie, I am so sorry to hear of the sawmill loss.

I have been on the road sawing myself, and ironically, mine almost burned Friday morning.  I got to my sawmill about 6:30 (still dark) and thought at first that the customer had beat me there and had built a fire.  As I got closer, I saw that the slab pile was beginning to burn and it was only 20' from my sawmill.  Thankfully the customer's backhoe was there and a few pushes with the hoe moved the slab pile safely away.  The customer had burned debris a few days earlier at that side and apparently there was still an ember.  We had been at that site for two days with no sign of any previous fire.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Glad no one was hurt and just "things " were destroyed.
Hang in there and start over better and perhaps bigger.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

rockman

Very disturbing to hear of your loss, While it's a blessing no one was hurt, I wish you the best in your clean up and rebuilding effort.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

Goodndusty

That is really too bad. :(  It sure makes a guy think.  I had a cousin that lost his dairy barn and 35 cows back in the 70's with little insurance.  How can you get that back?  He was young and kept at it and now retired from the dairy business.  No one was hurt and that is the best news to come out of these unfortunate happenings.  I hope you have insurance and it pays for your loss.  Stay strong.  Time heals.
Goodndusty

Timberwolf 24' 2" band mill, logosol planer/molder, 3 sided planer/sizer, Oliver 1850 front end loader, Barko 60, H3 crawler w/1066 loader with wood clam, home built dryer, Dino semi auto setter, cat claw sharpener, Timberjack 230D.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

clww

I'm extremely sorry that you lost your mill to this fire. We'll pray for your speedy recovery. Glad nobody was injured.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Bill Gaiche

Sorry about your losses Willie. Losing personal items is depressing. but hopefully they all can be replaced. For now you can take a non sawdust break to catch your breath and do an evaluation. Good luck though. bg

slider

I hope you don't half to retire .I would bet you loved what you were doing and that's part of being happy and complete.I know where you are at about loosing tools.It's hard to fathom being where you are at but it will pass.I wish you well and if we can help just let us know.
al glenn

Ernie

That's really bad news.  Be very careful how you handle it, Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums not the business of paying claims.  This is particularly bad in New Zealand especially in the light of the huge losses after the earthquakes in Christchurch.  In my opinion, if you want to locate an insurance agent, you just have to follow the slime trail. >:(

I found, after our big fire, that I should have valued everything at new replacement rather than current market value ( which I very carefully assessed, trying to be honest about the loss)  The dirty B*&*^%$^*ds then depreciated the few items that they chose to cover by 85% as a result, on a loss of about $260,000.00, plus the building, I got $9600.00 in total.  The insurance company distanced themselves from the assessment by contracting a third party company to do the dirty work.  That was almost a year ago and I am starting to give up on ever getting back to normal.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

cutterboy

Sorry to hear that Willie. Fire is one of my greatest fears. After a lifetime of collecting and using usefull tools it must be so hard to lose them. I feel for you.
   Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

ROUGH CUT

Sorry to hear of your misfortune,but I'm sure things can only get better for you as time passes.Hang in there.
The insurance companys only offer as little as you are willing to accept. Demand a fair settlement and do not take less. Know that they will pay when they have to.
It's not how you get into these things, but how you get out of them.

wwsjr

Insurance adjuster came today, feeling better about outcome of loss coverage of shop building and contents. He was very positive about "taking care of my loss". He provided inventory sheet via email on Monday. He told me to make sure I had replacement cost of like tools on the list. I completed the inventory on the shop with a total of over $8,000. I am providing documents to sawmill insurance agency, claim in progress. I am still undecided on replacing the mill. Replacement mill with options I had with diesel is about $46,500 with tax. All depends on the insurance settlements. I am considering a LT40Super Electric with 3 Phase Converter since I have basically stopped sawing on the road. Could save about $3,000 with the electric. WM Indy is replacing my 1 Million BF plaque I lost in the fire, Thanks Jake.

Thanks for all your comments, the FF is a great place with lots of caring people.

Willie

woodandtractors

Willie-Like all the others,I too am sorry to hear of your loss. Not sure if you had "replacement cost" coverage or not-we did when our all-electric HMC mill burned Nov 10,2007. I ended up doing most of the back-and-forth with the adjustor,and got a lot of advice from our agent that wrote the policy. We didn't rebuild the big mill(long story)but could have gotten 20 percent above face value of the policy on the replacement cost if we had rebuilt. Also check to see if ITV(insured to value) is mentioned in your policy-adjustor tried to get me to settle for less than the value we were paying on. If you're on the fence about getting a new mill,and the check covers more than half the price,well.....unless you're ready to quit sawing you have a chance to have new stuff.
Just my two cents' worth.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

Autocar

Sorry to hear about your fire, it worrys me all the time about fire here at home or down at the shop. If theres any good in it I guess your lucky know one was hurt. Good luck.
Bill

5quarter

Swampdonkey...Depends on the details of the policy. Most people insure for full replacement value, but not always.
wwsjr...Glad to hear that your insurance man is a stand up guy.let us know the outcome of the claim and what you'll be doing next. Going electric is a smart move as it will save on fuel cost and maint. over time. Plus, with a 3 ph converter, you'll be able to run some serious shop Toys tools. Also glad to hear WM is replacing your 1 M BF plaque...God bless WM.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

redbeard

Glad to hear things are coming together for you wwsjr 
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Thanks for the report Willie.  Hopefully you will be back up and running soon.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rob Bocik

I am not an attorney nor do I know the particulars of your policy or state laws and this is not legal advice. I spent a couple of decades in insurance claims. Depending on the outcome of your out of pocket cost it may be worth it to you to spend a few bucks on an insurance claims attorney or contact a public insurance adjuster that specializes in machinery and business policies. Just read and understand what you are paying for. Public adjusters typically work on a percentage of the claim recovered. You dont want to pay them for ''undisputed funds'' only for "new" money they recover.

You have what is called a first party claim. Meaning you and your carrier have a contract as opposed to a third party claim in which someone else has a contract with a carrier to cover damage they may cause to you. In short any settlement you get from your carrier may not be full and final. This being a first party claim you are likely able to re open your claim (a supplement) within a statutory time limit should additional loss be determined after payment has been made. Additionally, debris removal may be available in addition to the policy "limits" you may also be able to save your deductible or a portion thereof should the cost of damages exceed the policy limits by any or all of the deductible amount. Business interruption, loss of use, premium you are currently paying for already destroyed property, hauling and disposal, set up time of the new mill, etc. These are examples of coverage's that may be available to you that you probably will not get unless you specifically ask for them. 

I hope you are up and milling again soon. Keep us posted and be sure to post pics of that new mill  ;D

wwsjr

Check is in the mail for the sawmill loss. I did not have replacement cost, however I got high end book value since mill was in excellent condition. Bob had serviced 1 week prior to fire. Still not settled on shop and tools. I am working with WM on new electric mill and going to TN next week to check out an electric Super with 1,000 hrs, not sure if going new or used, but probably will get a mill. I have had at least 20 customers call to encourage me not to quit sawing and offering to help get place back in order. Talked to a friend who is local power company branch manager today, he is coming by to look at providing 3 phase. The main line is 3 phase and only about 75 feet from mill site. He said he would help me try to keep cost down to provide the power. The insurance company emailed me today that the mill was mine to dispose of, they did not apply a salvage value. Does anyone think the hardware such as loader arms, 4 backstops and linkage, two plane clamp could be used? I am sure the cylinders are bad, but the other stuff I think could be reused. There was almost no sawdust or trash under mill when it burned. We had cleaned underneath when we last sawed, the fire came down from the roof to mill. I have not looked close, but I think most of the parts are bolted to frame and could be removed. The engine is no good according to a mechanic friend. The radiator probably could be salvaged. What do you think, and is anyone interested in the parts at salvage price? If someone on the Forum thinks they could use the parts, let me know.

UPS just came by and delivered my replacement Million Board Foot plaque that I lost in fire. Thank you Jake, Dave Mann, and others that made it happen.

Buck

Im sorry for your troubles but so glad that all seems to be working out.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

John_Haylow

I'm very sorry to read this. It is good to hear they are looking out for you. Sure wish I was closer to you, I would be happy to give you a hand getting things ready to rebuild.
I hope things continue to work out for you.

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Okrafarmer

WWSJR, I'm sorry to hear about all this-- I've been busy lately and just now saw the thread. Not knowing for sure the condition of your salvage mill, I'm just going to hazard a guess that the big structural parts including the frame, if they do not appear to be bent, are usable. What that means to me is that, if nothing else, you could at least use it as a bed extension. That is what I plan to do with the salvage mill I have once I get my business to a place where I can afford to mess with it.

Go visit Pineywoods and ask him to show you or lend you the "rail joining jig."
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

isawlogs

I fthe radiator is salvagable, the fire must not have been too hot to bend or heat the metal too much, I would think that those parts would still be usefull.
  I also think that the bed you have would make a dandy extention.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Chuck White

I would think you could recoup a little more $$$ if you parted it out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wwsjr

Finally got pictures uploaded.

The Logrite cant hooks survived with slight bend in handles. My 3930 NH is in background, burned frontcap and tires, probably got seals in loader cylinders. A friend of mine hauled to his shop and is working to get repaired. We pulled away from fire as soon as we could with my truck. Forum members who have sent PM's, I will get back to each of you as soon as possible. I am trying to get site cleaned to get a mill in place. I am working several options both new and used mills. Thanks to all of you that have voiced your concerns and offers for help. I consider the Forum as extended family.

Willie

Jeff

That makes a guy tear up just looking at the pictures. :-\

Buck

That was my reaction too :-\
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Meadows Miller

Willie It upset me to read you lost your mill the fire Mate  :o :) :) :) but its good to hear things are getting sorted and I know your not the type to let anything phase you Mate  ;)

New mills I love the smell but there is nothing like ole faithfull that you have had for years that just keeps sawing either :)

Jeff & Buck I am with you both on that I have never seen a mill burn and I do not like when other people loose anything like that   :( :( :'( :'(

best regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I hope I never see anything like this again. This is heart breaking.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

It's a danger we all must be vigilant for. It's one reason I'm leary of ever setting up a sawmill in any kind of wooden structure, especially any expensive one.

All that said, it looks to me like you have the makings of a rather inexpensive hydraulic bed extension. You will have some things to replace, including hydraulic lines, and possibly cylinders, and so on, but very doable. Then Customsawyer won't be the only one with a hydraulic bed extension.

Or you could sell it or part it out, as mentioned. Only thing is, most of the parts that people regularly need are the parts that would have been damaged or destroyed in the fire.

A hotter fire might have weakened certain steel items, making them unreliable, but it sounds like it wasn't much of a fire that burned on the frame and bed components.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Chuck White

Whow!  That sure is a sorry sight!  :'(

I think I would try parting it out.

Just think about how much WM gets for a blade wheel cover/shield!

Hope things work out for you, my friend!

Magicman

Wow, Willie.  When you said Burned, you meant Burned.  I can understand why the insurance company did not "apply a salvage value".  It scares me to think just how close mine came to burning the very next day.   :o

Banjo picker

Willie I am very sorry to hear about this event.  This is the first time I have seen this post...I remember when Chris and I were there for the short visit, how well you had things set up...nicely organized...I am glad you are getting things worked out.  It will take a while , but you will get it back...even better...Did your new edger burn as well?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Peter Drouin

Wow , and I hope it all works out for you is all I can say,  :o :o
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

Glad to hear you're looking at getting another mill. 3 phase power & you can do a number of interesting  things.  Way to go!  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

wdncno

Why don't you post a list of the hand tools you lost- most of us have extras and we could send what you need.

Buck

wwsjr

Thank you wdncno and buck for the most generous offer.
I had stuff from 50 years of collecting, tools from my dad (ex. 2 old Lufkin folding rules) and father-in-law (ex. scratch awl, 16 and 14 oz hammers with wooden handles). I had 5 pages of tools listed on sheets submitted to insurance adjuster.
I have not had time to fully update, I will now. My shop was covered by homeowners policy. The shop was behind the mill shed and was never a part of my sawing business. After meeting with claims adjuster, it was decided the shop would be covered. I had never depreciated the building or anything in shop for the business. They decided to cover my losses for the building and contents. I received about 85% of the replacement cost for the tools I had listed. I can replace the 14 X 20 building with amount I received after depreciation was applied to settlement. The only real expense to me will be metal roof, concrete, and nails, I will saw all the wood to frame and complete walls. A friend who is a parttime sawyer has a WM LT40HD. He is moving mill to my place tomorrow for me to use as needed.  I am giving him a 4,000' SYP job I had waiting to be cut. I will use the mill while he is at his day job to cut what I need. I have the logs to cut for myself. The primary items I lost not covered were 70 blades, poly strapping with cart and tensioning - sealing tools, two chainsaws, small items like belt tensioning tool, and moisture meter. The sawmill insurance paid me the top end of the estimated Actual Cash Value based on WM Orange Book since it was serviced a week before and was in excellent condition. I will definitely consider replacement cost if I get another mill. I hope to receive the check next week. As I said in another post a friend delivered a dozier and rough terrain fork lift to complete the cleanup. He also picked up my tractor and is repairing it in his farm equipment manufacturing shop. Should get it back this week. For those who have send me a PM about parts, I hope to decide what I am going to do this week, could become a great mill extension with clamp and log loader. I will answer back to each of you. Guys at church are organizing a "barn raising" for me when I am ready to rebuild. WM is applying a discount if I buy new mill. I am going to TN to look at a used mill on Wednesday, could be an option.
God has blessed me all my life and especially now. Please excuse this long post but I wanted to keep all of you who have expressed concern informed.
Thanks to all of you.
Willie

r.man

Don't apologize for the long post Willie, it wasn't. Glad to get the update and hear that things are going well for you all things considered. Sorry for your loss, especially the sentimental tools, but like you said it is just stuff. Good luck with the days ahead, boredom should not be a problem
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

pineywoods

Willie, just a suggestion. Since you will most likely be going electric, this would be a good time to consider the hydraulic setup like Bibby and Customsawyer. I have a smaller, simpler version and love it. Solves lots of problems and really isn't all that expensive..Friends and good neighbors are priceless, and sounds like you have both in abundance.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

wwsjr

I am not familar with their setup. I assume the hyd are powered with other than the 12V from the mill ? That sounds like a great mod.

Willie

pineywoods

Quote from: wwsjr on April 07, 2013, 07:55:49 PM
I am not familar with their setup. I assume the hyd are powered with other than the 12V from the mill ? That sounds like a great mod.

Willie

Yep, 7hp elec motor (a bit overkill) driving a 7gpm pump plumbed into the regular woodmizer valve body. think Bibby even put an electric heater in the oil tank.. No contact strip, full hydraulics available 100%, no 12 volt motor/solenoid  maintenance problems. Think Jake has the single powerpack hooked up to the mill and the extension...I use a 2 or 3 hp motor driving a 3gpm pump to power the pineywoods hydraulic turner/clamp.

thecfarm

Now that is a good update.  8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wwsjr

The burned mill frame went back home to Indiana yesterday. Forum member MM brought replacement axle, wheels, and tires, we dropped old axle, bolted on the new one so he could pull it home. He is thinking a rebuild as walk behind instead of remote with new sawhead.  He lives near the WM factory in Indiana. Thanks to all who have sent PM's and espressed concern and support. Jeff, check is in the mail.

Willie

beenthere

Forum member MM ......  I'm thinking Magicman. But he lives in MS, not near the WM factory in IN.  ??

Glad to hear you are home with the new mill, and can now recover somewhat from the fire.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

That's what you get for thinking. :D   MM is MM not Magicman  MM was a Wood-mizer employee at one time.

wwsjr

Sorry about that, I didn't think about Magicman when I posted MM as picking up frame.

Magicman

I just smiled because I knew that I did not have it and also remembered who MM was.   :)

beenthere

:D
I'll catch up......... maybe some day.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MM

So glad to meet willie. His new mill looks good! long trip down and back. Drove thru heavy rain from Louisville to Nashville going down. Nice weather coming back! The mill is 11 miles from where it was "born". It will be "re-born"! I will take the mill apart and rebuild it from the ground up. 
M.L. Morrow
812/614-1825

Okrafarmer

MM could also be Meadows Miller, and I think there are some other MM's on here too.  ;D

I'm glad somebody is able to do something with the old mill.

Thank You Sponsors!