iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laminated white oak hammock stand

Started by hackberry jake, March 16, 2013, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

The little lady saw a curved wooden hammock stand online and wanted me to make one. I have been wanting to try laminating thinner boards to make beams, and I figured this was my chance. I didn't pay much attention to minor details since I know it will just turn gray in about a year. I could definately use some more practice and more clamps for laminating beams. At least it's functional.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tyb525

So how thick were the strips, and how many? Did you leave them rough or plane them? What kind of glue did you use?

I know, you can never have too many clamps, especially for laminating. I think ideally, you should have a clamp about every inch. Or, make an inside/outside form of thick hardwood to spread out the pressure, so you can use less clamps
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

hackberry jake

The strips were a little over 1/4" thick. I tried planing them but the knots would explode in the planer so I set my RBI up as a drum sander and sanded them down. I used titebond III for the glue. There are 7 strips in the middle and it transitions to 6 strips towards the ends. The transitions are where the legs attach. The legs are cedar and the dowels to hold the string are bodark (Osage orange). Boy that bodark sure takes a polish on the lathe. Its like glass.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

pigman

I like the idea of the hammock on a trailer. That way you can move the hammock so it will stay in the shade or sun depending on the temperature. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

jueston

looks great, i've always wanted to do some laminating to make bent pieces, but i haven't found the right project yet....

SwampDonkey

Well, did ya try it out at least? ;D

I think it looks great Jake. But myself, I can't use one. I find them hard on my knees, they just about cripple me if I lay on one for a length of time.  :(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

Looks good, Jake.  Did you calculate deflection?  How many folks can get in until it hits the ground, etc.?

You might consider a swing out arm with a little table mounted to one of the supports  as a place to set a beverage.  If I'm in a hammock I want to have a beverage nearby! :D ;D ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

samandothers

Great idea!  Nice build.  I can feel the cool breeze and am about to fall asleep in the shade!  Great job.

WDH

Quote from: hackberry jake on March 16, 2013, 02:24:09 PM
At least it's functional.

And portable!  Great job.  Now you have another skill in your repertoire.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

Nice hammock frame, Jake. I'd coat that thing in epoxy and top-coat with Epifanes varnish. It will retain it's bright look for years.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

thecfarm

That looks some nice. I would go to a friends house and try to lay on his. Never really got the hung of it. Did not help that he was trying to tip me out of it quicker than I could get laid down too.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!