iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Sawmill story from the Poston Files

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 15, 2013, 10:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

2 days ago, a guy just comes into the mill yard. His name is Bill. He saw my name and posts on the Forestry Forum and new right where I lived.
He took possession of his BRAND NEW LT 15 back in November. So far he had only sawn 2 little practice logs.
He is still learning his mill, has never hit a nail, and just basically needed some practice. We talked a while but he mostly watched me work the first day. He came by Thursday and we got to talk a little more and I answered his questions about milling and selling to the best of my ability. Finally , yesterday I told him to just hook up and be at the yard at 10 am this morning.
He was tickled to death, we shook hands and I had noticed he had a little accent. I said Bill.....where are you from.....and he said in his accent, "WIZCONZIN". I thought.....you have got to be kidding  :D.

I said really?......He says have you ever BEENTHERE?  :D I said no but I hear y'all have a lot of RED OAKS.  :D

Low and behold, my new Wisconsin friend pulls up with his LT 15 this morning......on time. He starts unpacking and has a Brand New LOGRITE. I told him, "You Da Man". I had some small jobs on the list so I gave him one. Now.... he is just learning but he sawed 190 board feet of DRY WHITE OAK today and Dang if he didn't do a good job. The customer showed up at around 4:30 and liked his lumber and paid Bill. Bill turned around and gave me $20.00 for the job and the experience. What a guy! Oh......he hit 3 small nails in those logs....I'm mean he has to learn  ;D.
We had a good day.....ate lunch together and had 2 mills running at the same time.

This is what the Forum is all about!

Check out the short Video: Click on full screen for a more ACTION PACKED experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBHxQPwnCk
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kingcha

I would say that was very nice of you.   :)

matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Tree Feller

That's gotta feel great to help someone learn the ropes with their mill. You are da man, David.   :)

Uh, "A Mater Head" production???    :D :D :D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Bill Gaiche

Good for both of you. Looks like two people have become friends thru sawdust. bg

giant splinter

David
You are a true southern gentleman, the story and video back that up. That is what we are all about and why everyone enjoys this forum and the members who are always at the ready to help out and share information.
That was very generous of you to share your expertise with him and help get him up and running with some real first class help.
I was wondering what you thought of the LT15 To Go mill and its productivity after working side by side with one? ...... it looks like a very nice mill in the video.
Looks like you guys had a great day and a little fun working together and its always nice to meet a fellow FF member and share some time at the mill in a cloud of sawdust.
David thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
roll with it

redbeard

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Nomad

Good for you, Poston.  I think you made a friend, and it's no doubt he'll never forget the chance you gave him there.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

Looked like a good day all the way around!   smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rockman

Great story and video, That was a very nice thing for you to do David. Congrats to Bill on the new mill.

kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

Peter Drouin

Nice job you did , now he'll be back to do more work :D :D :D :D
just kidding, I did that when I sold my last mill, spent the hole day with the guy. but thats what it's all about :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

francismilker

David,
Why can't you live close to me?  I'd love to have another sawyer show me the ropes.  8)

That was a great thing you did and it's great to hear about the network of friends herr on FF.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

WDH

Good deal, David!

Bill,

You have got to love that power feed  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

millstead

I wish someone would have done that for me when I bought my mill. Very nice David. Bill congratulations  on the mill

Norm

That was very nice of you, thanks for sharing the video and story.  :)

petefrom bearswamp

Kudos to you for helping out David.
My neighbor who cuts full time portable showed me the ropes in 1998.
Was invaluable instruction.
I cut stationary so there is no competition with him and we swap experiences often.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ND rancher

I sure could of used help like that a few months ago.Good job Dave! I could use some bench building lessons. Hint, hint.   Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

customsawyer

Way to go David. I was helped by a friend when I first started and have passed it on to some others along the way. The thing rookies don't realize is we enjoy passing it on more than they enjoy receiving. ;D Don't tell them let them keep thinking we are just nice guys. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Lud

There's almost always a Golden Rule attached to a sawmill.........  Good job, David. 8) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

mikeb1079

great story dave thanks!

now what would a nice wisconsin boy be doing all the way down there?   :D :D

perhaps he just wanted to see them mater heads? 

oh and ps:  i'll bet he thought you had a bit of an accent too!   :D :D :laugh:
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: mikeb1079 on March 16, 2013, 07:19:22 PM
i'll bet he thought you had a bit of an accent too!   :D :D :laugh:

say_what   Maybe thats why he kept
saying, uh?  :)

millwright

We have 22inches of snow on the ground and this morning it was 11 degrees, so you can't blame anyone from heading south.

samandothers

Very nice of you Dave to help a fella FF member out.   Looks like you both were having fun.  Appears his LT15 had power feed?

Glad you both had fun!

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on March 15, 2013, 11:14:02 PM
Good for both of you. Looks like two people have become friends thru sawdust. bg

You sure you don't mean one saw dust snorting addict has just gone and log rite hooked another unsuspecting innocent victim?

Good on you Poston!
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

isawlogs

Awfull nice of you to get a new friend to do your work for you, you're da man Poston... :D :D :D

He sure looked happy on the vidéo to be doing your work  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

Yea, and he gave him 20 dollars to do his work.
What a Country! :D  :)  8)

Barney II

What the hay---I talked at 20 people and I never noticed one person with an accent---must be something going around---and I am from Wizconzin---- 8) :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Doug Wis

Got a kick out of you saying us Wis people have funny accents. Had some folks from Tenn that used to come up and hunt. Southern drawl and all. Went down to visit them one year. First thing they said was " now you are the ones you talk funny".  Good english is being able to understand each other.
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

fat olde elf

I warned Bill about you, but it looks it worked out anyway.  You can never spend too much time with new folks. It always pays off in the long run. Say your prayers....
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Thank You Sponsors!