iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member Introduction

Started by NCDiesel, March 15, 2013, 02:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDiesel

Just a quick message to say hello.    I have been browsing as a guest for a while, and like what I saw here better than the other sites.  So I joined up today.   I recently purchased a Cooks mill (have not yet taken delivery) and plan to start by practicing on some of my own logs on my small 15 acre farm.   So no big plans or grandiose ideas of success.   I just hope to keep myself and and some friends in wood, grow my reputation, and maybe have a nice part time job when I retire in about 10 years.

I worked at mills on and off as a young man as an off-bearer.  I also use rough lumber for everything I can, so I had a close relationship with local sawyers, one in particular with a Frick with a 56" blade.   But alas, he, like all the other old guys in the area, has retired and now I have no local, close sawyer.   There a few further away but hauling logs further and starting a new relationship with a new sawyer did not sound like fun so I decided to become that local, convenient sawyer.  "Be the change you want to see" kind of thing.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi......
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

thecfarm

welcome to the forum,NCDiesel. I see Cooks MP-32,manual,hyd,hp?? I see YCC too. I did that in Maine,Acadia Nat Park for 2 summers, back in 78 and 79. First summer as a worker than they asked me back as a youth leader.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gasawyer

Welcome the forum NCDiesel! Just take it easy when you start milling and don't rush, its meant to be fun when your doing it for yourself. Feel free to ask questions if problems arise.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

francismilker

Glad to have you.  Welcome aboard!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, NCDiesel
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

NCDiesel

Quote from: thecfarm on March 15, 2013, 02:19:37 PM
welcome to the forum,NCDiesel. I see Cooks MP-32,manual,hyd,hp?? I see YCC too. I did that in Maine,Acadia Nat Park for 2 summers, back in 78 and 79. First summer as a worker than they asked me back as a youth leader.

Thanks for all the kind welcomes.....

I got the #4 package for the Cooks MP-32.  That includes the 27HP fuel injected engine, power winch log loading and power head for up-down.    The way travel is still manual.

Good to meet another YCC vet.  I was in the Chattahoochie National Forest in north Georgia.  Mainly timber concession work.  You've seen parts of my district if you have seen the movie Deliverance.   The movie ruining the reputation not withstanding, it is beautiful country.  Maybe not quite up to Acadia standards, but compelling country in its own right.
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

thecfarm

I did mostly maintaining and build trails. There was alot of other work going on,but I like the trail building,maintaining and that is what I did. Had to move rocks with just pry bars to get them in place. We had to move one trail over into a boulder field because the other trial was wearing out with too much traffic. We haul bark onto one trail by the wheel barrow full. But we had at least 6 wheel barrows to do it. This was a short trail,seem like a half mile. I forgot what was at the end of it,but it was a big tourist attraction. We got to learn about life and the land at the coast. It was a good learning adventure too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. I am guessing you are from North Carolina. What part?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

millwright

Welcome to the forum you'll like it here.

justallan1

Wlcome to the forum, NCDiesel.
Allan

pasbonbasile

welcome aboard, there are some good people with a wealth of knowledge here...
thirteen- tractors, one combine, no mill yet. Looking for one. Used -to have a wm lt4hdg25
Update 9-27-15 now have WM LT40 Super Hyd. used (1996) but back into sawing. Mostly pine and oak.

Riggs

Welcome to the forum NCDiesel, looking at the map, we're practically neighbors. Good to have you!
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Lud

Welcome to the Forum.   Learn to use the Search function and visit as often as you can.

It's sort of like going to the breakfast counter with 500 friends............
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

samandothers

Welcome NCdiesel. Great place here with lots of knowledgible folk.

fat olde elf

welcome to yet another tarheel  today !  Several MP 32 owners in NC.  Bob Kellog is in Durham and I'm 30 miles east of Charlotte. Bob's and my Mp 32s are 10 years old, going strong. He has made several modifications to his mill. I'm pretty much stock from Alabama. Both Bob and I have Cooks Cat Claw sharpeners,  I recently got a cam for the super-sharp bands(long Story) and would be glad to help if I can. I"m confident that Cooks will sell you super-sharp bands.....Let us hear from you.  Paul E. Randolph aka Fat Lode Elf
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, NCDiesel.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lyle niemi

tgalbraith

Welcome to the forum.  YOu will like it here,
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

kelLOGg

Welcome. Fat Olde Elf said it all.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

NCDiesel

Thanks for all continuing welcomes and kind words.   Sorry for the late response, but you know how it is.  Something about paychecks and bills.... ;D

Let me see if I can answer all the questions:

• To Custom Sawyer:  I am in NC, near Winston-Salem.  Used to live in Georgia though.  I moved to NC for college in 1980  and never left.
  • To Riggs:  Yep, we are neighbors.  Been to Lowgap many times.   One of the many sawmills I worked at when I was in college was near Todd.   
  • To FatOldeElf and kelLOGg:   Good to know some other Cooks owners.   I wanted to talk with a current owner before I bought the mill, and I think Cooks gave me KelLOGg's name as a reference because I remember one of the contacts was in Stanfield.  I called another name in Asheville instead.

Thanks again guys. 

NCDiesel

Red Clay Hound

Welcome NCDiesel.  I live in NE Georgia - not too far from Rabun County where it sounds like you spent some time in your youth.  My son, Justin (Dodgy Loner on the forum) was the county agent in Rabun Co. for a couple of years.  Beautiful country.  I've spent quite a bit of time hiking the trails there - don't recall ever hearing any banjo music though!  :D  smile_banjoman
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

slider

NCDIESEL welcome ,you will like the folks at cooks,I've had their sharpening equipment for quiet some time and they are great to deal with.Glad you joined.al
al glenn

JimFX

So did you get your Mill? How do you like it?
I am looking at many and getting opinions so I would like yours!
JimFX

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!