iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Understory conifers

Started by hackberry jake, March 15, 2013, 02:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Around here when cleared land is allowed to return to nature, the first thing that pops up is usually cedar trees. These eastern red cedar trees may get up to about 12" dbh before they are swallowed by the oaks and hickories. My question is; If the conifer trees get a lot more sun in the winter time (because the oaks and hickories don't have leaves), then will their latewood be wider than their earlywood? wouldn't this affect wood density? Just something to think about.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ArborJake

Someone else will know better than me I'm sure but if the Oaks and Hickories are without leaves then the Cedars should be dormant also and not producing growth at that time of year. Here in the north east most decidous tree's put out leaves( sometime in april or early may) before the conifers start to wake up (usally end of may early june). Interesting idea though.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

SwampDonkey

Earlywood and latewood is just the transition from the flushing of the buds and elongation, which is rapid growth followed by slower growth for the rest of the season. The current years growth is pre-programmed based on the previous years growing conditions and stored in the over wintering bud. Even trees released from over topping trees may take 3 years to respond to the increased light. Sometimes up here, if hardwood is removed in the winter, the hot sun can kill the understory fir  because the needles are shade grown and not used to the increased light. Also they can burn up in early spring from the ground being frozen and not being able to take up water lost through the stomata. You will notice Christmas tree needles grow much different than shade grown fir needles. They spiral on the stem in the open condition and they lay flat in shade and do not spiral around the stem.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

Tree dormancy is related to day length and not to the amount of sunlight.  All trees trees in the northern hemisphere including coniferous are triggered to go dormant with the decreasing day length in the fall.  Most trees have completed all their diameter growth for the year in August.

SwampDonkey

Yes, and when I mention the fir in my example dying off, it's due to exposure in the winter. The needles have a different morphology when open grown. I've seen lots of winter killed fir when the overstory was removed. By April it is usually red as a rusty old horseshoe. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hackberry jake

Well, I learn something new everyday.  ;D thanks fellas
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!