iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

? about Red Oak and flower beds

Started by yarnammurt, March 15, 2013, 12:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarnammurt

I have a guy wanting to us 2x8 Red Oak for raised flower beds. I just don't know if its a good idea. Would it work.
Troy
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

drobertson

I used some red oak last year for one of our raised beds, no problems with it, another fellow likes to use my cull ties for his gardens, I would say give him as many as he wants,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

CalebL

I've always heard it said:  Red oak, don't lay it down.  White oak, put it in the ground. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

mesquite buckeye

They will hold dirt and rot rapidly. :embarassed:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Yarnammurt,

As long as they know they will decompose in about 3 to 4 seasons, and maybe a little "mushy" after only 2.  I have built them out of slab wood with saddle (lap) joints and as they get old, build fresh outside of the old ones.  You can just fold them into the bed or put them in the compost for further aging... :D :D ;D  It all depends on how you use them and what the goal was to begin with.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

yarnammurt

He is wanting 60 2x8x12. That is almost 1000bf at .90 a bf. I dont want him to not be happy at that price. What do y'all get on 2x oak. Am I to high. I called a few places around and they are wanting $1.95 bf
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

VictorH

you're not high at all.  I charge 1.25 for Red Oak.

WDH

I think that you are low at $.90/BF. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Thing is for flower beds you can use lower grade, knottier wood. Saw it from some smaller logs, or the middle 8" of larger logs after you have removed the better $1.95 boards.

But there are better choices of wood for this. Cedar for example, or we use Monterey Cypress locally. Lighter and more durable on the ground.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jay C. White Cloud

I went back through some old notes, and found a method that you could pass on to your client.  It will take a little more wood, (good for you ;D), but it should extend the life of the raised beds considerably, depending on the details of the finish.

There is more to it than what I am writing here, but you can get the gist of the idea.  With a little creativity, the system can be improved upon.

Instead of a single wall of boards, use a double, with an air space between the two layers.  The inner layer can be sacrificial, (depending on the treatment) while the outer layer, if done with forethought could last a decade or longer.

Good luck,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Thank You Sponsors!