iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You Don't Really Appreciate A Good Sawyer...

Started by Tree Feller, March 14, 2013, 10:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

until you try sawing for yourself.

Before I got my mill, I would haul logs to a local sawyer. I'd leave a trailer loaded with logs and when I went to pick it up, the lumber would be neatly stacked on the trailer. He was fast and only charged 0.23/bf for Pine and 0.32/bf for hardwoods with no minimum number of logs or even log size. He would saw a 6" log and never bat an eye although I never took him one that small. Other people did, though.

What was really impressive, at least now that I have run a mill a bit, is how consistent the lumber was that he sawed out. The thickness hardly varied at all (I know because I jointed and planed enough of it) and I don't remember ever seeing a wavy board. I stayed with a dull blade one log too long today and the lumber from it started looking about like a Ruffles potato chip.

I didn't always take that sawyer the best "logs", either but he never complained. I would always get more lumber than I expected.  That kind of service is easy to take for granted if you haven't tried it for yourself. Good sawing seems as though it would be easy...it's not.

I have much more respect for that sawyer's abilities now than I did when I was hauling him logs and picking up great lumber. Little did I know...
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

LeeB

Follow his example and you too will soon be the good sawyer grasshopper.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jay C. White Cloud

Thank's Cody,

I enjoyed that on several levels...I wish him and you both well, and may your logs all saw true.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

drobertson

This is how I have always sawn, and always will,  bring me your logs and I will saw them, period, and only expect the best useable lumber,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

Good thread! I took quite a few logs in before I got my mill. They always did excellent work. I took in a walnut log and first cut he hit metal (an old fence) with his circle saw. He kicked the log off and broke the news to me gently. He knew I was excited about that log. He never got mad or charged me for the metal strike. Truth be known, the biggest reason I got a mill was to save kerf losses on nice logs. I would've been better off financially to just keep taking logs to the big mill. I do enjoy milling though.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Seaman

Had a really good one close to here several years ago. Took him some pine once and he hit a big nail. He let me know about yard trees when I picked up my lumber that time. I offered to help pay for the damage, he paused and looked at me real hard, the told me I was the first person in 25 years to offer to pay for damages.
I was real careful what I took him after that!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

bandmiller2

The skill of the sawyer is the profit margin in a mill.We had a sawyer like that local,you can tell alot by looking at the slab pile,his had nothing but bark. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

francismilker

Good thread and some good thoughts.  I too used to take logs to a mill several miles away and was always pleased with the outcome.  He was very efficient and never complained about logs. 

I hope to get that efficient but it's a work in progress.  Some of my outslabs look like they could be used for car ramps! :D
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

WDH

Yes, when you do it yourself, you quickly see the skill and experienced required to produce consistent quality lumber. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 15, 2013, 08:11:12 AM
Yes, when you do it yourself, you quickly see the skill and experienced required to produce consistent quality lumber.

Axe 3 : 16
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Happycamper

Great thread,
  One of the reasons I bought a mill is, a while ago I had a Mizer mill fellow come into my yard to mill 20 16' pine logs. I ended up with as someone put it (Ruffles Chips). Too wavy for the most part to run through the planer. Perhaps too fast,too dull etc. and he worked by the hour so no need to rush. I do understand now how critical it is that everything is right with the mill and the operator to produce quality and I will strive to do this.
                                             Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

yellowrosefarm

Amen brother! It looked so easy from an off bearers viewpoint. When I got my own mill a friend of mine stopped by the day after my first attempt at making boards. He looked at the pile and said "gosh, those look terrible".

Nomad

Quote from: yellowrosefarm on March 15, 2013, 06:33:28 PM

Amen brother! It looked so easy from an off bearers viewpoint. When I got my own mill a friend of mine stopped by the day after my first attempt at making boards. He looked at the pile and said "gosh, those look terrible".

Now that would be a wake-up call! :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

LeeB

I bought my first mill because what I took to others came back as junk. My first efforts were'nt great, but better than I was paying to have sawn.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Justin@Wv

It is always easier standing back watching but when you finally take the reigns and your on your own, what you can accomplish is so rewarding its amazing!!! What a deep post, makes me want to strive even harder!
"With these hands"

YellowHammer

My first experiences with bringing wood to local sawmills was similar to LeeB. I'd bring them a bunch of hard earned logs and come back with a bunch of wavy useless junk.  Three different sawyers, three bad experiences.  So I bought my own mill to provide wood for buildings on the farm, and have since gone into busness sawing and selling lumber.  I have tried my best to make sure people have a positive experience, whether they buy something or not.  One of the most memorable days I've ever had was when two different customers, on the same day, thanked me for being in business and providing a service they hadn't been able to find elsewhere. 

With all the great information I've learned on this Forum, a thanks from my customers is a thanks to all of you, too.  I'm definately not as good a sawyer as I'd like to be, but maybe when I hit my first million bdft like some of the members here, I'll start getting the hang of it.

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scully

Even if you have been around a mill for a long time and have had lumber milled ,I don't think you ever realy know all the things the guy sawing has to deal with untill that day you start floppin logs onto your own mill . In a short few months I have seen how profit is lost ,what it is like to mill a big log only to have it fall apart into shake {No $there!} Knowing how to plan each and every cut to get the most BF ,destroying a blade or 3 ,all of it ! It makes a man humble real qwick ! And working alone ! You learn what kind of drive it takes real fast because every second counts if your gonna ever make a dime ! God bless the saw man who knows his trade ! our unsung hero !
I bleed orange  .

Norm

When I bought my mill I had never seen anything but a circle saw which scared the daylights out of me. I'd had it a year before I found the FF, I quickly learned how little I knew.

customsawyer

Thanks for posting this. I enjoy sawing because the logs, lumber, mill, or customers are still trying to teach me and I am still trying to learn.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Tree Feller

Quote from: customsawyer on March 16, 2013, 10:25:00 AM
Thanks for posting this. I enjoy sawing because the logs, lumber, mill, or customers are still trying to teach me and I am still trying to learn.

Jake, I think the day we quit trying to learn, in whatever endeavor we choose, is the day someone should just pull a shroud over us because living will no longer hold much allure.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

SwampDonkey

Yup, new sawyers have lots to learn. I bought lumber one time from a fellow who built his own mill and figured he was instant sawyer. His lumber was anything but consistent. When it was planed, it might be an inch on the ends and 3/4 in a couple dips in between. ;) I see the rest of the stack he had is still outside after 10 years with a nice black color on it and mill is parked in the willow brush and goldenrods. I know a local logger tried the milling gig, had a mill shed all made and ready, sawed a few weeks and sold the mill. It was a Peterson I think. Some fine gentleman in BC bought it he said.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

That was a nice testimonial Cody.  It also provides a quality goal for you and your sawing.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!