iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paying Cash.....I just learned......has it's advantages.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 14, 2013, 07:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I had a young man call me the day before yesterday. He read an ad I had on CL saying "I buy logs". We introduced ourselves and he explained his business of clearing commercial land for retail businesses.
He finally got around to asking, "When you buy logs....how do you pay?" I told him by the BF. He says, "No, no.....how do you pay, by check, cash, do you mail your payment?" I told him I pay cash on the barrel head after we figure the board footage. He did not understand.
He had been taking his logs to a mill and selling them buy the ton and having to WAIT.....3 TO 6 weeks on his money. He explained he has payments and payroll. He said he would bring 1 load to my mill and see if my process was worth it.
Yesterday, he brought a load. I gave him a BF chart to keep and taught him how to figure BF. We figured his load and I paid him 150 /thousand. I handed him the CASH and he was very happy, happy, happy.
I have know idea what he was getting at the mill, he did not say and I did not ask.....but all he knew he was NOT having to wait on his lumber.

Today, He brought me 2 more loads. All my logs are sawed to my specs plus 6 inches and my logs are all over 14" diameter per my request. No crooked or diseased logs. I hope I can keep this guy Happy.

So the morale of the story.......CASH has it's advantages.

Yesterdays Load

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I think he may be more concern about keeping you happy.  ;D  Nice to deal with someone that thinks like you do. Logs looks good on this side of the screen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

What did they say when you tried to lift the front of their truck with your backhoe to dump the logs out? ;D
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on March 14, 2013, 07:50:06 PM
What did they say when you tried to lift the front of their truck with your backhoe to dump the logs out? ;D

Barbender.....I gotta tell ya.......THAT WAS A GOOD ONE.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WoodenHead

Wow!  Nice logs and a great price as far as I'm concerned.  I have to pay $450 a thousand for same thing.  Perhaps I have to move to the south...  :)

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

Those are some beauties, David!

That's a customer to keep, and vice versa!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

bandmiller2

When a person is paid promptly for good or services it makes a big impression.Unless your going to be a rat and stiff him, pay him when he delivers.You have to build trust with the folks you deal with,unless their real squirrels, then you don't want them anyways. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

Nice logs like that, are going to make  some NICE lumber, Is it all pine :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mikeb1079

QuoteWhat did they say when you tried to lift the front of their truck with your backhoe to dump the logs out?

"looks like you need a bigger backhoe!"

:D :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 14, 2013, 08:44:42 PM
Nice logs like that, are going to make  some NICE lumber, Is it all pine :)

Yes....it's all Pine. I will saw them ALL for barn siding.

I'm happier than a Tic on Dracula!  8)

Thank You Sponsors!