iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This Old House, the sequel

Started by Delawhere Jack, March 14, 2013, 07:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

A few weeks ago I milled some walnut at a farm house built in 1690. Today I milled at another old house. This one doesn't pre-date the American Revolution, but it's still standing, and in dang good shape for being 173 years old!  ;D

Milling a couple fairly large oaks, one red, one white. The trees are not nearly as old as the structure, but the wood coming out of them is stupendously awesome. Pics of the wood to follow, I'm going back to complete the job tomorrow.

JC

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

SPD748

I absolutely love those old homes! Very nice.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

justallan1

bandmiller2

Old houses are like old blue jeans,their comfy. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ND rancher

That's another cool old structure. It's squared logs, right?
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

5quarter

That is a well made house. When most of our homes have crumbled  away, that will likely still be standing... ;)

As an aside, I was reading an article years ago featuring the oldest known wooden structure still standing. It was a very small chapel, somewhere in europe, Timberframed on a stone foundation, B and B style siding and a slate roof I think. Built in the middle 600's as a chapel and in continuous use as a chapel to the present day. While it was obviously well built, I can't help but think that the buildings purpose had something to do with its long life... ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

ArborJake

We have a 250 yr old house on our property. Its starting to fall into disrepair now but when you think about all the years of harsh weather and snow loads it withstood its amazing really. No building codes then. How many houses built by todays standards and codes will last 250 yrs with such little care?
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

Delawhere Jack

A whack of oak.  I'm glad that I won't be around to restack and sticker all that! The white oak grew 5' from the house, and the red oak about 20' away...... only one nail!

He had some trunk sections 22-24" but only 3 feet long. He kept insisting that we give them a try, but after the "fun" that I had with the short walnut logs a few weeks ago I was not about to do it again. I tried to explain that the four of us would spend 2 hours wrestling short logs on the mill, only to end up exhausted before we gave up........ I finally just had to say that I wouldn't allow them on the mill.

Maybe I need to design a short log deck accessory for the LT40's.... Hmmmmm...

isawlogs

I have done that before, I put some 2x on the mill deck and rolled the short log on the and clamped them down, I dothough, have hydraulics to help mind you.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Nomad

He had some trunk sections 22-24" but only 3 feet long. He kept insisting that we give them a try, but after the "fun" that I had with the short walnut logs a few weeks ago I was not about to do it again. I tried to explain that the four of us would spend 2 hours wrestling short logs on the mill, only to end up exhausted before we gave up........ I finally just had to say that I wouldn't allow them on the mill.

I do stuff like that regularly.  But only if I can't talk the owner out of it.  It really is a pita, but if he's paying for it by the hour, and understands just how long this will take, I'll do it.  Usually after the first one or two they tell me to quit.  All of a sudden it's now firewood.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!