iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how much $ for a load of logs?

Started by bigred1951, March 14, 2013, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Quote from: ahlkey on April 09, 2013, 02:50:00 PM
I just did three loads with my small log trailer last week of various species and grade levels.  Most of it was low grade beech and low-grade hard maple but I did average $1600 a load.  My trailer can hold around 1900 bft or close to 4 cords of wood.  Couldn't get anyone to haul it for me given the band on trucking & the lateness of the season as I normally try not to do any trucking. Cost me roughly $225 in total fuel expenses for three trips to haul 5700 board feet.

Not a lot of money in those logs given the overall effort but worthwhile to me as I own the stumpage.

nice trailer,what size truck pulling it? and with all that gvw you must have a TT license :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

loggah

Well an old time logger who  died  a few years back at 80 something told it to me best, when were in the bars we brag about all the wood we cut, while were back in the logging camp we brag about all the women we had, and booze we drank !!!!! ;D ;D in most good logging chances i would average a trailer load of hardwood a day, in pine a trailerload and a half including the pulp . didn't set the world on fire ,and didn't break a bunch of equipment. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

logging pete

I liked lumberjack's and swamp donkey's posts. I understand both your fustrations, Aspen is production wood almost regardless of size or how you put it up. I have pole skidded aspen, here in WI. You can pull alot stringers in a day. My brother and I bought a new 540B in 1980 to pull aspen. Back then when you cut wood in the bar you were cutting aspen. When you were buying the beer you must have cut hardwood. We were got $14 to$16 8ft.pulp roadside. Lumberjack I don't doubt any of your #'s. MN has or had great stands of aspen. SwampDonkey We had to milk cows  and feed and water hiefers at noon,we didn't get big prodution then. We took alot of pride in amount of wood put up and how hard we worked. You are right, my body would not allow me to keep working with a saw. One march day I felled aspen for my brother, he had a swamp island he wanted to get before breakup. I cut 13 tanks, my left arm hurt for a month, my brother's shoulders are worn out from pulling mainline. I now run a 133 processer,646 valmet forwarder,and a peterbilt truck and pup.
I have a friend with a 544 valmet working with me, we are the only ones left logging from large logging familys.

ahlkey

My truck is a 4X4 RAM 4500 flatbed with 4.88 axles and the trailer/log loader is rated rated at 26K.   Pulling is easy with my setup and having the exhaust brake and larger brakes is the way to go.

Okrafarmer

Ahlkey, sounds like you were getting better than $800 per board feet for "low grade beech and hard maple" ?

Goodness gracious, if we had prices like that, we could be filthy rich down here! The best we can do nearby is sell oak at $300 / bf (Scribner) and if we go about 50 miles we can sell good oak for $400-500. Nothing else, not even walnut or cherry, sells for higher than white oak at the wholesale mills.

Guys are grapple skidding here for the $300 oak, $21/ ton hardwood pulp, and $17 / ton pine pulp, $190/ k yellow and white pine, $175 / k hardwood pallet logs, $250 / k poplar, $225 / k red maple. No actively developed market for cherry, walnut, beech, locust, sweetgum, hickory, or cedar, although we have a fair amount of each nearby. Firewood is a joke. Even a guy with a processor and every efficiency would have a hard time making ends meet selling firewood here. Too many people literally giving it away for free.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

I miss lumberjacks posts. Hope SD fetches him back on board for us.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

Quote from: beenthere on April 09, 2013, 10:11:20 PM
I miss lumberjacks posts. Hope SD fetches him back on board for us.
did he run him off??

ahlkey

Okraframer, thanks for pointing out my error on prices.  The Hard Maple was over $800 per load and one load was all Maple which is what I had in my mind.  However, the Beech loads and White Ash was much less averaging under $400.   I should of posted $1200 as the overall average for three loads as the total mbft was under $650.  Agreed, still not terrible but on this location I hauled out over 120 full cords of firewood hoping to make up on the sawlogs so after all my expenses I didn't do the best.   

ga jones

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

NWP

Must have. He only has had one post since the last post in this thread.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

David-L

I have not been a forum member long, but love the stories and knowledge everyone brings to the plate. Even got my girl running a saw after telling her about Lumberjack 48 working with his wife cutting and skidding.

David L

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Birchwood Logging

Big red 1951 I haul with a single axel truck in our area they are very commen on my 700 ford I haul around 2000 foot a load I do over load my truck a little would not recommend hauling over 1500 feet on yours I average around $1000 a load for descent saw logs and $1500 a load for better grade saw logs on a real good veneer load I've hauled as much as $2800 a load the local mill I deal with there low grade tie logs is paying $325 a thousand so a load of ties will only bring around $650 don't give up on wanting to get in to the industry there is a lot of oppitions and configurations out there
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

thecfarm

David,that is good. Has she ever been around a chainsaw?
My story,my wife will come up into the words to see me while I am cutting. Than I take her around to show her what I am doing and why.One day she asked,you have a hard hat,why don't I have one? We went and brought her one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bigred1951

good to hear from you birchwood havent seen you post nothing for a while. Hopefully one day i can go into logging or something and make a living at it. Then hopefully put my normal job with benefits and retirement behind me. Crazy huh who would leave that haha.

Thank You Sponsors!