TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Farmi Winch Direct

Comstock Logging

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: how much $ for a load of logs?  (Read 10007 times)

Offline MEloggah

• Full Member x2
Re: how much $ for a load of logs?
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 12:45:40 pm »
lj48, how many cd did you send on a truck? one a tri-axle these boys who haul my wood run around 9-10cd a load and 13ish on a tractor trailer. at those rates that would be only a little over a couple hundred bucks a TA load. not even worth it! yea I send my pine pulp for about those prices but its attatched to the logs so it has to go somewhere. usually buys the fuel for the week +/-. at those rates to make 3500 a week that would be over 17 loads. no offense but a man with a chain saw aint doing it and especially aint doing it and doping a nice looking job to boot and especially if the wood being yarded is say a modest couple hundred yard skid! heck, even right next to the landing I don't think it can be done.

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
  • 36 yrs ago, cutting Ash saw logs
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 01:00:29 pm »
I could pull 20 cds a day alone, about a 100 trees. With the wife on the skidder  3 loads of nice tree length Aspen is no big day, the best day we pulled 52 cds.
I know what i could pull a day, i did it for 30 yrs, but sounds the same, nobody could believe the wood that we put out until they seen it :o

Better yet do you want to call the mill, i will pm you the number 8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 02:58:24 pm »
Your 20 cords with 100 trees would have to average around 12" diameter trees, which isn't all that big but nothing to sneeze at for northern timber. It is certainly doable considering it's tree length. 52 cords in one day, seems a bit of a stretch with one skidder though. I can't recall anyone pulling much more than 24 cords of treelength aspen a day along with a partner and back then no one would do it for $240 however, not an owner operator. Your higher numbers are not sustainable output either. The human body can only take so much.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
  • 36 yrs ago, cutting Ash saw logs
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 03:40:07 pm »
When i fell for two skidders we pulled 50 to 60 cds a day, the best day was 76 cds. I had a man on the landing unhooking and toping, its nothing to tip 400 trees a day in good Aspen. The 52 cds is no stretch, the truck hauled it in as we pulled it, we were 5 miles from the mill, we pulled 4 loads, i don't know why i'm explaining myself to you, i know what we did. The wife says she'll show you how to do it, she told me to just get off here, she got sick of hearing this when she was pulling wood after i got hurt.

When i piece cut, i could cut and pile 10 cds of Aspen a day, alone. I heard the same thing, they said it can't be done, well i could do it.

I'm out of my league here, i was pulling this amount of wood back in 68.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 04:26:58 pm »
If you choose to leave the forum lumberjack, that will be your decision. I've become a little tired of how much more, better, faster one man can be at skidding wood than others that also do it for a living. I've seen how hard men work in a day in the woods all week long. It's not a job for slackers, that's for sure. However, I have no reason not to believe you was a top producer in your day. But over time I think the figures that one recalls get a little fuzzy. Even I catch myself, or someone else does on here with numbers that don't seem right. Then I get to think about it a little harder. ;D

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 04:46:06 pm »
If you choose to leave the forum lumberjack, that will be your decision. I've become a little tired of how much more, better, faster one man can be at skidding wood than others that also do it for a living. I've seen how hard men work in a day in the woods all week long. It's not a job for slackers, that's for sure. However, I have no reason not to believe you was a top producer in your day. But over time I think the figures that one recalls get a little fuzzy. Even I catch myself, or someone else does on here with numbers that don't seem right. Then I get to think about it a little harder.
SD
Sometimes we get uptight about things and the way they are explained , and really don't see ourselves as being so similar.  Think about it, and relax. ;)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 05:30:41 pm »
I've never been anything but relaxed.  ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline 1woodguy

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 09:39:00 am »
this is an interesting discussion
  Haven't sold a lot of logs but a decade ago we had several places we were paid to clear cut and also had some property that was going to be strip mined and we could cut what we wanted . we were cutting mostly oak hickory walnut ash
And some cedars and pine
wife's cousin mentioned logging
 so  we checked around for prices and aso called and rechecked prices several times a week some of the logs went up around Tulsa some to Arkansas
And some they came and got, for a time we were getting the most bucks for the large Pecans in Tulsa
  Also had a deal on firewood going semi loads
as far as money so much depended on the trees the type and quality how easy to get to
And mostly sell for the best price
  I think there were usually seven of us and I made three to four times what the others did (simply by watching what I was doing and keepingsaws sharp and running well and cut in my own spot mostly)when I didn't have to look out for others it went a lot faster
   If you didn't have several different places you were cutting
when the creeks or river flooded it may be two or three weeks before you could get back in and go back to work
  I usually had three to six saws I ran that no one else touched
Usually tried to work smarter not harder 
  Some guys are great with the saws and some think they are
when your running good saws that are sharp and you keep them that way
And don't spend several hours wasted using dull chains or pinching saws up over and over or hanging trees all the time you get a lot done
still lots of hours put in , then getting equipment ready for the next day

I   Cut fire wood for self and others for years
 When around others it was always  How much can or do you cut????
Everyone tells a different tale about it and when your cutting in the same area as everyone else and we see the results some excell and some suck
 If your great with a saw and paid to cut it all you might cut a load an hour or less  in good pickings
Or spend half of the day in the crap
   I would be happy if I could do a third of what I could twenty years ago  :D

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Offline Tmac47

• It's timber time!
    • Timber Update
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2013, 12:12:49 pm »
I don't know how relevant to the topic this is, but I'm working on a smartphone app that tracks timber from the landowners property to the mill, in real time, and uploads all of the important data to the cloud.

So, at any given time a dealer or landowner can login to the website and see what's been delivered to the mill and what's en route to the mill.  Plus, they'll have access to all other relevant data like: quota, tons delivered totals, product totals, tract estimates vs cutouts, etc.

Got a call yesterday from the big dawgs at Weyerhaeuser saying that want to see it in action.

----

To bring it full circle, essentially, when enough companies are using the app, we'll be able to generate price averages for timber and distribute them to landowners for free.  So, for the first time ever, landowners will actually know what they can expect for their timber...in real time...for free.

Offline ahlkey

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2013, 02:50:00 pm »
I just did three loads with my small log trailer last week of various species and grade levels.  Most of it was low grade beech and low-grade hard maple but I did average $1600 a load.  My trailer can hold around 1900 bft or close to 4 cords of wood.  Couldn't get anyone to haul it for me given the band on trucking & the lateness of the season as I normally try not to do any trucking. Cost me roughly $225 in total fuel expenses for three trips to haul 5700 board feet.

Not a lot of money in those logs given the overall effort but worthwhile to me as I own the stumpage.

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Sanbornton Construction L.L.C.
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2013, 05:59:08 pm »
I just did three loads with my small log trailer last week of various species and grade levels.  Most of it was low grade beech and low-grade hard maple but I did average $1600 a load.  My trailer can hold around 1900 bft or close to 4 cords of wood.  Couldn't get anyone to haul it for me given the band on trucking & the lateness of the season as I normally try not to do any trucking. Cost me roughly $225 in total fuel expenses for three trips to haul 5700 board feet.

Not a lot of money in those logs given the overall effort but worthwhile to me as I own the stumpage.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)   

nice trailer,what size truck pulling it? and with all that gvw you must have a TT license :)
2008 LT40 super, And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
  • Steering a Steam Lombard Log Hauler, 1989
    • Johnson Hollow Sawing and Shingle Making
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2013, 06:21:34 pm »
Well an old time logger who  died  a few years back at 80 something told it to me best, when were in the bars we brag about all the wood we cut, while were back in the logging camp we brag about all the women we had, and booze we drank !!!!! ;D ;D in most good logging chances i would average a trailer load of hardwood a day, in pine a trailerload and a half including the pulp . didn't set the world on fire ,and didn't break a bunch of equipment. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offline logging pete

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2013, 09:26:10 pm »
I liked lumberjack's and swamp donkey's posts. I understand both your fustrations, Aspen is production wood almost regardless of size or how you put it up. I have pole skidded aspen, here in WI. You can pull alot stringers in a day. My brother and I bought a new 540B in 1980 to pull aspen. Back then when you cut wood in the bar you were cutting aspen. When you were buying the beer you must have cut hardwood. We were got $14 to$16 8ft.pulp roadside. Lumberjack I don't doubt any of your #'s. MN has or had great stands of aspen. SwampDonkey We had to milk cows  and feed and water hiefers at noon,we didn't get big prodution then. We took alot of pride in amount of wood put up and how hard we worked. You are right, my body would not allow me to keep working with a saw. One march day I felled aspen for my brother, he had a swamp island he wanted to get before breakup. I cut 13 tanks, my left arm hurt for a month, my brother's shoulders are worn out from pulling mainline. I now run a 133 processer,646 valmet forwarder,and a peterbilt truck and pup.
 I have a friend with a 544 valmet working with me, we are the only ones left logging from large logging familys.

Offline ahlkey

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 09:43:49 pm »
My truck is a 4X4 RAM 4500 flatbed with 4.88 axles and the trailer/log loader is rated rated at 26K.   Pulling is easy with my setup and having the exhaust brake and larger brakes is the way to go.

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Away down south in the land of sweetgums. . . .
    • Genesis Hardwood Lumber
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2013, 10:01:24 pm »
Ahlkey, sounds like you were getting better than $800 per board feet for "low grade beech and hard maple" ?

Goodness gracious, if we had prices like that, we could be filthy rich down here! The best we can do nearby is sell oak at $300 / bf (Scribner) and if we go about 50 miles we can sell good oak for $400-500. Nothing else, not even walnut or cherry, sells for higher than white oak at the wholesale mills.

Guys are grapple skidding here for the $300 oak, $21/ ton hardwood pulp, and $17 / ton pine pulp, $190/ k yellow and white pine, $175 / k hardwood pallet logs, $250 / k poplar, $225 / k red maple. No actively developed market for cherry, walnut, beech, locust, sweetgum, hickory, or cedar, although we have a fair amount of each nearby. Firewood is a joke. Even a guy with a processor and every efficiency would have a hard time making ends meet selling firewood here. Too many people literally giving it away for free.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

"By pith and power, til my last hour, I'll mak this declaration-- we are bought and sold for English gold-- such a parcel o' rogues in the nation." --Robert Burns

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2013, 10:11:20 pm »
I miss lumberjacks posts. Hope SD fetches him back on board for us.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Online snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2013, 05:58:14 am »
  did he run him off??

Offline ahlkey

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2013, 10:07:02 am »
Okraframer, thanks for pointing out my error on prices.  The Hard Maple was over $800 per load and one load was all Maple which is what I had in my mind.  However, the Beech loads and White Ash was much less averaging under $400.   I should of posted $1200 as the overall average for three loads as the total mbft was under $650.  Agreed, still not terrible but on this location I hauled out over 120 full cords of firewood hoping to make up on the sawlogs so after all my expenses I didn't do the best.   

Offline ga jones

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2013, 09:37:45 pm »
  did he run him off??
Did he?
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars

Offline NWP

• Nicholson Wood Products LLC
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2013, 12:05:31 am »
Must have. He only has had one post since the last post in this thread.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1994 Duratech HD8, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 1990 Peterbilt 378 w/ Hood 7000 loader, 2001 Chevrolet, 2005 Chevrolet, several trailers, and Stihl saws.