iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Walnut

Started by Tree Feller, March 13, 2013, 09:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

About three months ago, my friend Gaylon and I felled and bucked some dead Walnut trees on his cattle farm. Today I pulled my mill over there and we started sawing it.

We got a late start but in about 5 hours of sawing, we produced around 600 BF of Walnut in 4/4 and 8/4 sizes. Gaylon used two of his tractors, one to load the logs and the other to handle the slabs. We filled up my utility trailer and didn't get done with the first whack of logs. I'll be flush with Walnut for a while.

Here's the load i brought home. The Corona bottle is just for scale.   ;D

There were two 4' logs that were cut by a pipeline ROW. I sawed them 8/4.

The stickered stack. There are 3+ whacks of logs left to saw. I have no idea where I will put the lumber.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

mesquite buckeye

Is the bottle used as a leveling device???
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Awesome!  I love walnut.  Now you are set.  You make some beautiful stuff, so I know that it will be put to fine use  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Cody; If you don't have a shed to store the lumber in, put some roofing tin over it, and some weight on the tin!

Let the tin overhang the wood by a few inches all the way around.

Nice whack by-the-way!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That Walnut will make a lot of Pens.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on March 13, 2013, 09:15:21 PM
Is the bottle used as a leveling device???

It usually works as an unleveling device.

:D
Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2013, 09:40:34 PM
Awesome!  I love walnut.  Now you are set.  You make some beautiful stuff, so I know that it will be put to fine use  8).

I have Period Furniture in mind for it. A bonnet top secretary is high on the list.  :)

Quote from: Chuck White on March 13, 2013, 09:44:28 PM
Cody; If you don't have a shed to store the lumber in, put some roofing tin over it, and some weight on the tin!

Let the tin overhang the wood by a few inches all the way around.

Nice whack by-the-way!

That is probably what I will do. I have about 3 acres available for air-drying stacks.

;D
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 13, 2013, 09:47:43 PM
That Walnut will make a lot of Pens.  ;D

Only a few thousand.   :D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Seaman

How lucky to find a half full beer bottle just laying around!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

rooster 58

I have plenty of room up here in Pa. for you to sticker those boards. Bring em on up and we can add a Molson bottle to the corona ;D

Tree Feller

Quote from: Seaman on March 14, 2013, 07:06:49 AM
How lucky to find a half full beer bottle just laying around!

LOL, maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket.   :D

Quote from: rooster 58 on March 14, 2013, 08:05:32 AM
    I have plenty of room up here in Pa. for you to sticker those boards. Bring em on up and we can add a Molson bottle to the corona ;D

I wouldn't mind visiting Pennsylvania or tipping one with you but I think I'll hang onto my boards. The friend that gave me the logs and helped me saw the lumber has 182 acres. I'm sure he would let me store them in one of his hay sheds.   ;D

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Tree Feller

Another day of sawing Walnut. We got started earlier today, around 9:00 a.m. We quit at 4:30 p.m. and most of me got home around 5:00 p.m. I say most because my butt is still dragging behind me somewhere along the way.

We sawed another trailer load but took a lot more care stacking it and got a lot more lumber on it. I believe there is close to 800 bf but I won't be sure until I sticker it. It was a very good day's work for a manual mill. My friend Gaylon got familiar with the process yesterday and we made a great team today. Even though I'm sunburned and flat out tired, it was a great day sawing with one of my best friends.

We even had a couple of local cattle raisers come by and they were duly impressed with the mill and the lumber coming off it. Just before they left, LOML drove up with Little Man (grandson) and he stayed with us until we finished. Just a fun, satisfying day.

We won't saw tomorrow as I have to be home to recieve a package and Gaylon has to go see about a cow he is having AI'd. We'll get back at it saturday, though.

My friend Gaylon holding a 2" x 10" x 8' Walnut plank.

Another trailer load of Walnut.

A 20 inch Walnut log on the mill. It yielded over 80 bf of mostly 1x12's.

The 4 yr old grandson laying in the pasture with Gaylon's dog, "Biscuit."

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

WDH

Looks like a very special day.  Sometimes the "butt dragging days' are some of the best.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!