iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Posts for the mill shed.

Started by Happycamper, March 13, 2013, 08:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happycamper

Sawed 4 posts for the LT10 shed today. Trusses and beams are built just waiting for the remaining snow to leave. Had one 24" fir log that was split in half which made two 6 X 6's plus a few boards.
                                         Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Jasperfield

I'm tellin' ye; Sawmills are something, aren't they?

thecfarm

You are gaining. I have to get going on my mill. I have some ceder to cut up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Happycamper

Jasperfield,
  You sure got that one right. Don't know when I enjoyed myself any more even though I can't stay at it all day it is a pleasure to work with it. The Cascade that MM suggested using works really good, nice and slippery, keeps the blade clean going through the pitch fir.
                                         Jim

rimshot

How well does that fir hold up below grade. Jim

rim
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rimshot on March 13, 2013, 09:30:49 PM
How well does that fir hold up below grade.

I'll ask a Groundhog next time I see him.  ;D

Way to go Jim. Your mill looks like its working for you now.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Banjo picker

Glad you got your problem worked out....It's nice being able to not buy lumber...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Happycamper

Poston and Banjo,
  The mill is still very hard to work with with the up of down of  the head. I lift it with the pulley and rope system and have to pull hard to get it to come down. It's a genuine (manual) mill.Still to my surprise have not heard from wm this week. I do hope that soon they will fix the problem as it is hard to work with.  Last I heard is that they are testing (other) type cylinders. The mill itself works good and I am very happy with what it does. It's well made with good thickness steel and should last a long time.
                                             Jim

MEMountainMan

Jim, Are you putting the fir posts in the ground or on an above ground masonry footer? Fir is what I have the most of and it's what I plan to use for my sawmill shed posts. I too am using the Cascade that MM suggested and it's awesome. I can't wait to see more pics from your sawmill shed once you really get rollin. Mark
LT15 30 feet cap., John Deere 850 tractor with a loader bucket and backhoe, John Deere 1010 dozer. some husky saws, a 5ft Logrite cant hook, a 3ft mill special, and a 30" hookaroon. A shop full of tools and 108 acres of trees to make things out of.  Done building homes for others now it's my turn

Happycamper

Mark,
  The posts will be above ground. Will post a picture once I get going on the project. Of course now there are projects  everywhere no matter which way I turn. Slabs, flitches, boards, cants, sawdust although the sawdust I catch in 5 gallon plastic pails hung from the mill. Bring more logs to the mill, clean the mill, gas the mill, check the oil. Tires me out just thinking about it. But it's fun ain't it?
                                         Jim

sigidi

You are right about it being fun Jim  8) ;D haven't 'worked' a day on the mill yet  ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

arlostone

looks like the snow in b.c. is melting faster than it is in vt..but to the fir question,i buried untreated balsam fir posts in well drained soil with the roofline 2' out from the posts and 15 years later they're still strong maybe 1/2 '' of rot/punk at grade.i'm very impressed because i heard they would be gone in 5 years.posts were peeled and round.nice pics happycamper looks like your having fun!!
tk 1400

Brucer

Douglas-Fir is considerably more decay resistant then the other firs. That's probably because it isn't actually a fir ::) ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!