iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If You Cant Cut Straight Lumber......

Started by WDH, March 13, 2013, 08:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Then cut curved lumber  :D.

This is red maple that had a big "S" curve in it, so I cut the 10' log into two 5' logs and cut them to accentuate the sweep to give the pieces a curved aspect.  At the bottom of the second pic of the rightmost slabs was where the cut was made in the middle of the log, so that gives you an idea of just how much of an "S" curve this log had.  When I saw it in the standing tree, I thought, "Wow, I could get creative with that shape!". 

To try and cut straight edged boards out of these sections would have been futile, so I decided to let them be what they wanted to be.  I cut some 4/4 and some 8/4.  Down here, red maple has flowered and set fruit, so even thought the leaves are not out, the buds and the cambium are active.  That means that the bark had "slipped".  So I peeled the bark right off very easily with a draw knife to leave the live edge.

It's crazy, but someone will buy these for that perfect unique project.  However, having been inspired by the "POSTON BENCH" design, I just might keep them for myself  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lyle niemi

Happycamper

You could put them in a Yerk for benches if you build one.
                                               Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

mikeb1079

that's smart thinking danny.  somebody will definitely come along who will love those.  it just forces one to be more creative.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

MEMountainMan

LT15 30 feet cap., John Deere 850 tractor with a loader bucket and backhoe, John Deere 1010 dozer. some husky saws, a 5ft Logrite cant hook, a 3ft mill special, and a 30" hookaroon. A shop full of tools and 108 acres of trees to make things out of.  Done building homes for others now it's my turn

Meadows Miller

Gday

Danny thas some bloody nice lookin timber Mate  :) ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

And I was laughin before the page even opend as where it was headin and even had my reply just cut bent stuff  Mate ;) :D :D :D :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This looks like the BACON I sawed. Keep them Danny. Send them up here....I'll attach legs.  :)

If you would have turned that log on every cut, that stress would have come out of it.  :D :D :D :D :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

As my Father use to say,I could not run fast enough to give that away.  ;D
But I know you have a market for that stuff. Location,Location,Location.
Red maple I do have. There's a lot that you have cut I have never seen in logs. Maybe I saw it standing as a tree,but not ready for a mill. My Father always called it salving,not slipped. The memories. I have no idea if that was an Old Timers phase or just his. Seem like just about every time we peeled cedar I would end up just about falling down. I would have to step on a big piece each time and try to take a digger.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

You could make a coffee table that wrapped around your easy chair  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

I can visualize benches!

I can even visualize an "over-the-door" sign!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just want to an attempt at ship lapping OR T&G.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

Danny, can you or David describe the technique you use for sawing those curves on your mill?  Mine only does straight cuts.   ;D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

hackberry jake

I would call those "around the fire pit" benches. Might even sell em all as a set
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

SwampDonkey

Build a nice canopy on posts with open sides and sit your benches around the fire pit. ;D  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nomad

I like to make curved boards like that every chance I get.  The customer usually gets a puzzled look on his face and says "you want to cut me what?"  And then it's "Wow!  That's neat!"
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

sigidi

Quote from: hackberry jake on March 14, 2013, 01:05:38 AM
I would call those "around the fire pit" benches. Might even sell em all as a set

Exactly my use for these kind of boards too  :D ;)

Good work 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

WDH

I could also cut some posts and make a replica of "Woodhenge"  ;D.

rooster 58

Looks like spars for the hull of a boat ;D

customsawyer

I like them. If anyone can sell them you can.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Mooseherder

Marketing is everything.  Nice attributes in the curved live edge slabs. 
Makes you put the thinking cap on for all the possibilities. ;)

outerbanxer

Woodworkers around here would spend hundreds of hours on just one of those...

You just cut up a gold mine 8)

WDH

LeeB

Make a template to edge one with a router leaving the inside curve as a live edge (concave), use that one (convex edge) as a template for the next concave edge,new template for the convex edge of that board and use that edge for the template of the third board as the guide for the next edge and so on to join several boards together to make a nice wide and unique table top. do this in sequence as cut from the log so ther will be a continuity of shape. Does that make any sense? Works best from the center cut boards, as they are more uniform in contour.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

rambo

I love it! Ideas!!! 8)

Slipped?? I am scratching my top knot on that one. 

Thank You Sponsors!