iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speaking of Morels

Started by oklalogdog, March 13, 2013, 07:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklalogdog

Should have some Shrooms here in Oklahoma in about 3 weeks.  Can hardly wait - I love em'.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

wesdor

Last 2 years have been dry around here and morels were scarce.  We are hoping for a good year this time around but are probably at least a month away.

Good luck. Morels are one of my favorite finds in the forest

Autocar

I can't wait eather  :D between turkey hunting fishing and mushroom hunting logging goes on the back burner for a few weeks.
Bill

mesquite buckeye

mmmmmmmmmmm.........shroombled eggs..........mmmmmmmmmmmmm

food2 digin1 digin_2
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ND rancher

I'm thinking venison chops cooked with morels and onions digin_2. and a side of fresh asparagus sauteed in olive oil! digin1 digin1. Hope we get some this year!
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

oklalogdog

Yeah - hope we all have a good shroom season!
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

SPIKER

was really dry here last year & I didnt find ANY the year before I got maybe a dozen nice ones and a few smaller half dried up ones.

looking for them is the fun part to me, eating is OK too ;)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

JohnW

Man, I wish I could teach my dog to hunt mushrooms.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: JohnW on March 14, 2013, 09:58:45 PM
Man, I wish I could teach my dog to hunt mushrooms.

You can, if the dog is smart.....

Reward for finding the smell of the shroom

Could find a lot......
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Weekend_Sawyer

We have had plenty of rain so I'm ever hopeful for a good crop this year.
Ours come in around April.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

francismilker

I usually (before the drought cycle we've been in) find loads of them.  The last three years it has been too dry for me to find very many.  We have had some moisture this winter so I'm hoping for some fried mushrooms as soon as the dogwoods start blooming! 8)
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

OneWithWood

Usually I am finding the blacks by now.  Need some warm weather to come our way...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

I've not had any morels in years.  :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Autocar

Jeff Ive been told storys for years how guys use to go up around Cadillac and pick them by the bushel said they would come out of the woods and would walk by them they had so many. Then the last few years the story goes its had to get permission anymore on propertys.
Bill

mesquite buckeye

Look for dead elm trees...... ;D

sawguy21

Little road side diner near my sister's place makes the best DanG mushroom soup and mushroom cheese burger on the planet with wild 'shrooms picked fresh daily. They use three or four different varieties including morels.
An old gentleman was once asked which ones were edible. He replied "They all are, some only once." ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ND rancher

After over 8.5" of rain and some sun between showers they have came out in full force! We have picked 10 grocery bags full so far(well over 100 lbs.) I have never picked like this in my life,I think I need to stop.   Keith

mesquite buckeye

If you dry them, they will keep indefinitely. Don't know about freezing, but it might be an idea. We see them rarely in the store retail for $50-75/lb if you could find a buyer.

cinnabar

I found 3 last weekend in southern WI.  Just popped up after a little rain.  Haven't cooked them up yet.

wesdor

I forgot this thread

On Mothers Day weekend we found about 120. A mixture of gray and yellow.  My brother found probably triple that number. 

Not the best year of my life, but certainly a good one.

Drying mushrooms has worked for us, but freezing them resulted in freezer burn. We didn't freeze them again

Jeff

Gray and yellow?  Never heard of such in Morels. I thought the two recognized species were the black and white. Perhaps our names are regional?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wesdor

You are probably on to something regional.  I've never heard of a white.  My wild guess is that yellow here is called white in Michigan - but that is just a guess.

The gray are smaller and come out first.  Yellow are typically much bigger and come out a few weeks later.

We watch the lilac bushes.  When their buds are about to burst open you are likely to find the grays.  When they are in full bloom you are more likely to find yellows.  Of course that is only a guide and is not always correct.

ND rancher

Heck if I could get that kind of money, I should get to work.Picking is easier than working with cows! I came in the house last nite and just about gagged,my wife had started to dry some in the dehydrator,don't try that! She had moved it to the garage already,had the windows open and was on the couch saying she was sick to her stomach.Lesson learned for us!

Chuck White

I found one (1) at Sheila's aunt's camp last week.  I've never seen one before.

I thought it should be left there for "seed", no one there would have been willing to pick and eat it.

The ones that liked mushrooms all said "I'll get mine at the store".

I did tell them that they are Morels, look just like the one's ND Rancher has in his pic.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

trapper

Found a couple quarts about 2 weeks ago. Lilacs were blooming when I found them.  Lilacs blooming also signal when the white bass are in the rivers around here for their spawning run.  Filled a 5 gallon bucket in just over an hour.
Wife cooked some. son smoked some and we froze the rest.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!