iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heating two buildings

Started by stratford 50, March 13, 2013, 04:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratford 50

Looking for suggestions on what equipment is needed too plumb a seperate building using an  e-classic 2300 woodboiler. I know I need thermo pex pipe, a circulator, and some type of heater, but not sure what else to complete the project. Thanks Paul

r.man

Other than what you have listed the main things are isolation valves and fittings to pipe each component to its neighbour. Pex to pipe thread adapters, nipples, elbows etc. Your existing hook up should be a good start for what you need. Keep in mind that there are different priced options. Some companies make more expensive fittings that are generally less bulky than stacking multiple single fittings together to do the same job. Some people like the simplicity while others prefer the cheaper route. What kind of building are you going to heat?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

Another place to hook a circulator up too.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stratford 50

I will be heating a garage 38 wide x 32 deep. The heated water will circulate 24/7 and when heat is called for by the thermostat a fan should come on and heat/ blow until the thermostat is satisfied. Have I got that correct? The circulator will be located in back of the woodboiler.

thecfarm

That sounds just about right.

Here's one of my heat exchanger

This one is of the manifold,

I ran all my wire through electric PVC pipe for below ground and I filled all my trenches in with sand.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stratford 50

Thanks for the reply, do you have any issues with air in the system?

r.man

If you have sufficient valves you should be able to purge your lines and heat exchanger with house water under pressure. Mine for example has two valves that isolate a washing machine hose from the house water at one end and the furnace water at the other. When I am feeling fairly paranoid about contamination I shut off both valves. I have been known to remove the hose so contamination is impossible but I mostly don't. I also have a valve on each side of the fill tee in the furnace line. This allows me to pressure purge either line, my heat exchanger and my side arm. With a multi line system the valving becomes more involved but should be doable.

thecfarm

Stratford,air is the system? If you are asking me,no never. I did have to change those cheapy plastic fitings on the maniford,after about 4 years. But I do have a Heatmor too,but don't see why that would matter.

WmFritz

Thecfarm, how many btu's is that hx rated for? That looks like a nice unit
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

86,000. I have a basement 30X46 and I can bring the temp up down there pretty quick. I also had a variable control on the fan too. the wife does not sleep the best and I did not want the noise of the fan to work her up,even though the fan is on the other end of the house and in the basement at that. It makes the fan ALOT quieter. I'm glad I had it put in.
I also have the same unit in my oil hot air furnace. My oil hot air furnace blower pushes air through this one up into the house.

r.man

Cfarm why didn't you put a slab coil in your furnace plenum?

thecfarm

I did not design any of this. I had someone install the whole thing,be it right or wrong. No idea what a coil slab is.   ;D It works and seem to work good for me. Too late now,all brought and paid for.  ;)

r.man

So Cfarm, you have one heat exchanger in the ceiling of your basement with a variable speed fan moving air through it and you also run the fan on your oil furnace to move the heat to the rest of the house?

thecfarm

r.man

Around here the common way to heat a house with an OWB is with a slab coil in the hot air plenum of the existing furnace. The coil is basically what you have without the louvers on one side or the fan and tin on the other. A separate thermostat is added with a relay if needed to control the fan. I am thinking about going the less common route which is in floor or hot water baseboard just to get rid of the forced air fan. I estimate that my furnace fan costs me about $1.20 a day to run for half on half off which is 36 dollars a month, 228 per heating season. That is figured with a real hydro cost of 15 cents per kwh. The 15 cents is figured by taking a hydro bill with all the extra fees etc and dividing by the number of kwhs. It just bugs me to think that I could be heating the house without that cost.

thecfarm

I guess I need to take back the, Yes,I do post.  I did not know I had a slab coil.
A slab coil,now I understand.      smiley_idea    Just like my hanging heat exchanger,but no louvers or fan. What you said is what I got.  ;D  All he did was put a radiator,as I use to call it, in my plenum and the air from my furnace is used to drive air through the "slab coil" Yes,the slab is controlled with a separate thermostat too. I can still use my hot air furnace,if I wanted too. That way it would be pushing hot air through the slab.
I thought about baseboard when we had the house built. I had it put in my other house. I really like the heat from it. The only thing I did not like,if when I come in from working outside and I feel kinda cold,with forced hot air I can turn it up and notice the diferance in just a few minutes. With baseboard it's coming. But baseboard does not blow dust around either.

yellowrosefarm

I already had a Modine ceiling hung gas heater in my garage when I put in the OWB. I just made some brackets to hold a heat exchanger in front of it and use the modine fan. Thermostat turns the circulating pump on and the fan motor. I do notice pretty bad stratification in there. Over my head will be very warm and down where I need it, not so warm. Ceiling is 10' and I probably should have a fan up there to get the warm air down.

r.man

Too bad you don't need new cement in your garage because radiant floor heat is the way to go, especially in a work area.

thecfarm

I've been in a few 2 car garages and a box fan does a pretty good job at moving the air around.

stratford 50

Update, getting ready to run 75 feet of thermo Pex 1 inch pipe to new garage slab area. Will be using 2 PSU 40 Hydronic heaters to keep the garage warm. Plumbing contractor did the heat loss calculations and these units are quiet but rather expensive and take very little space. I'm using a PSU 30 to heat a 24x24 garage now and it works great. I will repost as progress is made.

WmFritz

Is the 30 and 40 related to BTU output? (ie 30,000 BTU's per hour for the 30)

Thanks for the progress report
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

stratford 50

From the heater data sheet  if the max water temp is used @ 210 deg. A PSU 30 is min 16675 btu/hrs and max 23820 btu/hrs. Hope this helps.

Thank You Sponsors!