iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Wood-Mizer option arrived today.

Started by Brucer, March 13, 2013, 01:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

I pretty much had to buy one -- I whined to Marv at Wood-Mizer Canada West for about 3 years about this before they finally came out with it. It's a cover for the fuel tank and lube tank. Same material as the console and engine covers. Part number is (wait for it) ... CBOTTLE  ;D.

I found my fuel tanks were breaking down from UV exposure after about 3 years. The corners would start to discolour and eventually crack. The lube bottles would get brittle after a couple of years and then an inadvertent thump would shatter them.

Can't show you any pictures just yet because I have to finish shoveling 3 feet of snow off the mill before I can but the tanks back on.

The cover cost me about as much as a new fuel tank, shipped to my site. Not cheap, but I've bought 4 new fuel tanks and 2 new water bottles since I got the mill so it's worth it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

VictorH

Nice to know - I've been through 2 tanks in 5 years.  I replaced an original Woodmizer this past fall with a boat tank.

petefrom bearswamp

I wonder if someone out there has fabricated such a cover for the tanks.
Seems like it would be fairly easy to do.
If so maybe they would post it on useful sawmill mods.
Spring is almost here!
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jim_Rogers

I was waiting for my logger to show up today and move some very big and heavy red oak logs over to the mill bunks for me today, when FedEx showed up.

This is what they brought me:

(The gas and water jug cover, not the sawmill....)

When I go to the new equipment show I'll have to see if Woodmizer has an bummer stickers so I can put one on the side of the cover.

Jim Rogers

PS thanks for the tip, I've been wanting one of these for a long time, also.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WH_Conley

How about a $2.99 tarp cut in about 3 pieces? ::)
Bill

hamish

Wow Woodmiser sells bbq covers for $30 dollars.

How long are they suppost to last, whats the warranty on them?

A simple board (mmm wonder where one could get a board....) will to the same thing, give it shade, preventing UV breakdown and let it breathe to limit any condesation/corrosion issues on adjoining pieces.

I didn't think the wheel was broken.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Magicman

I have been using various covers for years, but this new WM Lube/Fuel cover is awesome.

All new covers.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

It's the same material and fasteners they use on the engine covers and console covers. I got both covers when I bought my second mill in 2006. No sign of the covers suffering from UV breakdown. I don't move the mill much but I cover the engine & console every day and none of the stitching is tearing.

The nice thing about buying WM covers (for WM mills) is that they are specifically designed to fit the mill. That can be important when you're towing the mill at highway speeds.

rmack

I'm guessing that using separate covers is probably a lot more convenient than trying to drape one huge cover over top of everything every night?

btw, Bruce, we said goodbye to our snow about 3 weeks ago, though it is still close enough to see  ;D
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

It looks like you are sawing something top secret in that pic. Trash can is a nice touch. :) I use a 16'x20' tarp. A real pain to put on the mill. I've thought about one of the big covers, but am holding out for a roof. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tyb525

I'd venture to guess that WM cover will last much longer than a cheap tarp
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dave Shepard

I'm sure it will. I buy the better silver tarps, and they are good for about two years or one tropical storm named Irene. Every time I tarp the mill I imagine I'm trying to tarp a 900 pound porcupine. Too many sharp edges and things to catch on.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

The covers that I just retired were 15 years old.  There were no holes anywhere, but I had restitched the exhaust boot a couple of times.  They were still serviceable, but the new ones surely look better.

I too, am really liking the fuel/lube cover.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 17, 2013, 12:31:07 PM
It looks like you are sawing something top secret in that pic. Trash can is a nice touch. :) I use a 16'x20' tarp. A real pain to put on the mill. I've thought about one of the big covers, but am holding out for a roof. :D

Ya the trash can keeps the canvas on the seat, and good to move sawdust, and the top secret under the big canvas is a log all clamped up, hard to steal the mill that way :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brucer

Quote from: rmack on March 17, 2013, 01:15:47 AM
btw, Bruce, we said goodbye to our snow about 3 weeks ago, though it is still close enough to see  ;D

We finally got some warm weather. I got the mill shoveled off last week and I've dug out the infeed side with the FEL. Still 30" deep on the operator's side but with the snow off the top of the mill the frame is soaking up the sunlight and radiating some heat back at the snow.

AvT

This is annoying, my warrenty just ran out a few months ago!   GRRR

Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

beenthere

Looks like something plastic... ??

A "whatz it" ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

I would imagine that is a green diesel fuel jug.

I'm on my third fuel jug now. But I solved that problem by buying a "new" cover for my fuel and water jug.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

AvT

Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

barbender

AvT, I thi k I've had my '97 for 2 1/2 years now, I never cover up my tank, and it's still going strong (it will die tomorrow now that I said something ::)). Is your mill just a bit over a year old? It looks like your tank might be getting collapsed, do you open your tank vent when sawing?
Too many irons in the fire

AvT

Quote from: barbender on May 05, 2013, 11:33:02 PM
Is your mill just a bit over a year old? It looks like your tank might be getting collapsed, do you open your tank vent when sawing?

I purchased it end of December 2010 so it is 2 years and 4-1/2 months old.  I think it had 2 year warranty.   I may have collapsed the tank a bit a couple of times before I opened the vent but it seems really weak where it cracked.  I just noticed it today so I searched the internet for UV damaged wood-mizer tanks and found this thread and after reading it am convinced that the tanks have a lifespan that is rather short if the mill is in the sun.  I actually have not used my mill much at all an have it covered with a tarp most of the time.  I will be covering my tank or removing it when not in use and storing it inside in the future.  What is surprising to me is I have a few plastic gas cans that I have had for many many years and they seem to have no damage other than some fading.  I am disappointed in this..

Brucer

The discoloration and cracking always seems to happen at the corners. I suspect there's a weakness introduced there during the molding process, and UV attacks it more quickly. Most plastic fuel cans I've seen have more rounded corners.

John_Haylow

Thanks for posting this Bruce, it should help keep the tanks and lines protected from the weather.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Magicman

AvT, even though your tank may be out of warranty, I believe that it was either manufactured too thin on that corner or was damaged by some way on that corner.  Closed vent or whatever.

A replacement fuel tank will probably last many years.  I have been covering mine for about 5 years, but the fuel tank is original 1998. (it will probably fail next week) The marine type connector failed years ago due to UV damage

Thank You Sponsors!