iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bent backstop - LT40

Started by JustinW_NZ, March 12, 2013, 07:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Ok, while sawing yesterday on a 6m long LARGE log we had to shuffle it down the mill slightly after getting it on the mill.
A gentle nudge with the tractor while the roller toe-boards were up looked like the trick...
until a knot in the wood caught and held the most forward (to operator end) of my LT-40 hydraulic backstop.
The customer and tractor operator did like to push hard with his JD tractor  :-\  :'(

Now the backstop is awfully bowed.
So I'm guessing some good heat and a straighten up should be the cure?
Or once stressed just give up and buy a new backstop?

Anyone else care to admit going down this path?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Dave Shepard

It is just mild steel, so straighten it if you can and realign. I don't allow anyone near my mill with heavy equipment, I can bend stuff all by myself. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

Sounds like a bummer, knots and nubs are a pain for sure, I once had a fellow try to help with the log deck, big cat, knocked the mill off the blocks, turned side ways,  just ugly, all while I was gone, saw it the next day,   Hope you get that rascal back straight soon enough, go slow,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

My sawmill 's previous owner was setup at a commercial sawmill operation and sawing cants.  His logs were regularly loaded by the big grapple machines and both of the side supports were bent outward. 

A rosebud and cheater pipe were needed to straighten both of them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CalebL

Quote from: Magicman on March 12, 2013, 09:53:32 PM
My sawmill 's previous owner was setup at a commercial sawmill operation and sawing cants.  His logs were regularly loaded by the big grapple machines and both of the side supports were bent outward. 

A rosebud and cheater pipe were needed to straighten both of them.

Was it you or Bibby that made the manual backstops work like the hydraulic ones?  I seem to remember someone saying Woodmizer took a look at it and made a kit to retrofit their mills.  I have been searching for it on Woodmizer's site and on here but can't find it.  I would like to add that to my mill. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

isawlogs

It bent cold, it will bend back cold, take it off , it aint a big job put it under a press and straighten it up, theres no need to heat it, unless you don't want to take it off the mill. Either way you will need to check the square after you're done.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

moandrich

I always say if it is already broke I can't break it, I would try to straighten.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Magicman

CalebL, that was Bibbyman.  He actually invented the 4 powered side supports.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

haywire woodlot

I'm surprised it bent, I got a little over enthusiastic loading a log with the hoe and tweaked the 2nd log stop once. It broke the weld where the pivot for the logstop attaches to the mono-tube. It was a lot easier to weld that back together than to heat and beat the stop back into square.
Dave

Brucer

Bibbyman "invented" the "four hydraulic side stops" and it is now available from Wood-Mizer as an option on new mills, or as a retrofit package.

My 2006 mill had that option already installed.

My friend John just showed me his version and as soon as I can get the picture uploaded I'll post it here. It's a heck of a lot simpler :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

petefrom bearswamp

I agree with Dave Shepard, any breakage on my mill, saw cuts in bad places in steel etc,  is done by the only person I can blame.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

CalebL

Quote from: Magicman on March 12, 2013, 10:10:51 PM

Do you or anyone else know where I can find it on Woodmizer's site? 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

OneWithWood

Be sure to check the pin and adjuster thingy also.  If the backstop is bent the holding hardware is probably also tweaked.

I bent the whole shebang turning an oversize log with extensions on the backstop.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

CalebL

Quote from: CalebL on March 13, 2013, 12:40:46 PM
Quote from: Magicman on March 12, 2013, 10:10:51 PM

Do you or anyone else know where I can find it on Woodmizer's site?

I got tired of looking and just called Woodmizer.  You can't find it on their site because it is standard equipment now.  I ordered the kit.  Should be here in a couple of weeks.  Thanks Bibby!
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Thank You Sponsors!