iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beach time

Started by JustinW_NZ, March 12, 2013, 06:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

I took my red-head friend down by the beach yesterday.
She didn't want to go but I dragged her along..
I got an ice-cream, she got some redwood.  ;D

Cheers
Justin  :D
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

drobertson

I'm pretty sure that beach scenes are not allowed at this time :D Due to the fact we are still having frost, ice, snow, and bare trees,  thank you for your cooperation 8)   Glad you are enjoying the weather Justin,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JustinW_NZ

I was waiting for someone to take a shot at me from somewhere snowy  :)

We are in drought here so we could do with some bad weather!  :(
Up where IanB Lives is worse than down here, many farmers having a very hard time.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Ianab

Yeah, getting a bit dry around here, but nestled up under the Mt like we are it's not as bad as some areas.

Been hitting the beach with my Babes as well  ;)

Wai-iti beach is about an hour Nth, but a typical West Coast beach. A bit crowded that day  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ian....when does your Winter start?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Oh yea Ian, I see what you mean by crowded :D 8)  thats' the kinda crowd I like at the beach,  beautiful weather for you boys, ours is coming soon enough,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ianab

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 12, 2013, 08:11:09 PM
Ian....when does your Winter start?

Technically it's Autumn now, not that you can really tell. Usually starts to cool off after Easter. Winter we would count as June - August.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

NZ from space.
This time 12 months ago, compared to this week.

Pretty dry...  :-\

We do have some rain forecast for the weekend though, hopefully it will be enough to green things up again.

Ian

drobertson

No question about it, you guys need some rain, amazing difference, how do you get the imaging so current?

thecfarm

Justin and Ianab,where abouts are you guys on the above map? That brown does not look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Handy Andy

We've been having a drought here too, but lately picked up a little moisture.  Your winter months are our hot months.  Wheat harvest is usually June, although has been as late as July 4.  Hard to think of June, July and August as winter.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Ianab

Quotehow do you get the imaging so current?
Nasa sends it to us, well at least they send it to Niwa each day, which is our Govt Water and Atmosphere research outfit, and they put it on their web page. ;)

Today's image has a bunch of promising looking rain clouds rolling in from the upper left.
http://www.niwa.co.nz/ei/nz-from-space

QuoteJustin and Ianab,where abouts are you guys on the above map?

Edited to put some "X"s on.

By world standards it's not much of a drought, but when you are relying on grass growth to feed cows, 6 weeks without rain becomes a big problem.  :-\ Normally the farmers would milk though to maybe May, but with no grass they have to dry off the cows early, and start feeding winter feed now.

Ian

Chuck White

We've got about 4 months to go before we even think about doing the beach scene!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ianab

A whole 1mm of rain so far..   ::)

More rolling in though, and showers forecast for the next 2 days. But we need about 100mm just to get things back to normal.

thecfarm

Thank you Ianab for the locations. What are the winter temps too by the way? I do realize one side is diffeant than the other side.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Winters are generally pretty mild, Island climate and all that ocean etc.  We are inland, and 1.000ft up, so we get some frost, and occasionally some snow. But cattle live outdoors all year round. Biggest difference is North to South. Northland is sub-tropical, Southland is more like Scotland with more snow in the winter.

Compared to the US, climate is more like Nth Cali / Oregon. Same coastal climate, and that's where some of the best growing imported trees come from.

Ian

thecfarm

Sounds like a nice place to live. Thank you again.

JustinW_NZ

Cheers for pinning me down on the Map Ian.

Been raining here today all day, just lightly, hopeing the hills have mad more of a dumping.

We are only 100m or so above sea level here, so frost in winter yes, but no snow.
An hour away at the Nelson Lakes at 900m and more inland, snow yes, cold yes.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Ianab

Same here, drizzle most of the day. Not enough to really break the drought, but 13mm so far, which is a LOT better than nothing  :) Normal rainfall for this month is ~100 mm (4") and we would expect ~1,500 ( approx 60") for the year.

10 miles away, up on the slopes of the Mt it averages 5,700 mm (over 200 inches) a year.

Ian

SwampDonkey

You mentioned being on the beach and redwood in one breath, so I figured you had found those 9 giant redwood logs off the California coast. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 17, 2013, 03:29:57 AM
You mentioned being on the beach and redwood in one breath, so I figured you had found those 9 giant redwood logs off the California coast. :D

Man, that would be one LONG barge trip?!?!  :D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Thank You Sponsors!