iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pinus pinaster: Day 3! High toppin & droppin one...

Started by Forrest277, March 12, 2013, 05:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forrest277

heres some examples from this afternoons job;  two hinges from the same tree at different heights, first, the a high-top cut ...

client demanded a climb and felling...

these cuts turned out just great -  the spring/recoil on the main trunk after the crown falls is quite and experience:) -but not a job for the feint of heart !

you got like half the tree right above you_ you better be sure that thing goes the right way...

TOP hinge at 10m from ground.

Fell the base:

one big plunge to establish the back of the hinge, the sweep out the two last quaters.

very pleased with the way this one went - hope you enjoy this sort of thing

best wishes and all comments welcomed - big up the forum _

Giles Forrester.
===========

Love my Husky ...

Jay C. White Cloud

Nice job!  Plunge cuts are especially great for climbing cuts... ;D  Keep the photos of your work coming, I sure it will be very helpful to everyone.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

m wood

That is some real tree surgery.  Pretty cuts.  Ive never dropped a top while belted on at any height, that DOES gotta be a thrill. I bet theres a lot of us that enjoy this sort of thing forest 277.  good work
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Forrest277

thanks fellas for the kind words _ much appreciated  _

like to study the wood and to share _ maybe it helps to see this sort of thing ...

Stump Notes 3

_ Age: 80 years old
_ Species: Pinus pinaster, (Maritime Pine)
_ Height (est.) 24meters
_ Log diameter: Min 34cm, Max 40cm
_ Trunk volume cubic (est.) 2.5m

funny shaped base on this tree wide front narrow back

another proflie view _ this section cut off big end of the log

enjoy n peace

G

Love my Husky ...

Jemclimber

lt15

Forrest277

Quote from: Jemclimber on March 13, 2013, 07:59:08 AM
Forrest,
Are you new to climbing?

hi Jem _ im not new to climbing _ but with each tree being a little different _ i gotta say yesterday was a new experience for sure... i done quite a few dismantles on things like mature lime trees with loads of branches all the way to the top, but to do a high top fell on a big pine with nothing but the trunk for 18meters (est.50 foot/feet) _ that was a first for sure.

I tend to free climb if possible to keep climb weight down.

for the job yesterday I climb to height, then hawl up the saw with a belay rope attached to my harness.

I used these spurs ...

I come from rock climbing background, so I use a PETZLE rock harness, two carribeanas and a 3Tonne rated sling for the lanyard. Works well.

The propieter was like "dont cut through the lanyard!"

Peace out _ and you ?

G
=

Love my Husky ...

Thank You Sponsors!