iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

level blade??

Started by opticsguy, March 12, 2013, 10:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

In another post, the subject of a level blade was mentioned.  I had never thought about this before. 

When i make a cut, the blades drops about 1/8" to 3/16" at the exit. 

So what is happening and how to adjust this?

My saw does produce good lumber and am happy with the results. 

Thanks!!!

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

pineywoods

If the blade is dropping 1/8 on exit, go check the entry. Most likely it's climbing an 1/8 there. Shouldn't do that. Most common cause is worn or mis aligned guide rollers. When the blade enters the log, it gets pushed back against the flange on the guide roller, which if worn or mis-aligned, will deflect the back edge of the blade downward. Result = climb. Dull blade makes more pressure, which makes the problem worse.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

redbeard

Yes guide rollers would be main culprit. Flat spots on wheels will do that. Next time you put new rollers on paint some lines on back of roller helps see them spinning. I have been having good luck with less than 1/4" deflection. Try re plumbing guide rollers  you could have one of them toeing in or out to much. Have someone push your mill through a cut so you can watch what blade is doing see if its staying where it supppose to and not hitting the flange.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

drobertson

re checking the alignment is in order for sure, I thought also if you had an extra cant to sacrifice, pop a chalk line and make a cut, this might help the visual aid on what and where the blade doing . 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brian_Rhoad

If you are cutting hard woods the blade will rise if the blade has too much hook angle.

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: drobertson on March 12, 2013, 10:57:16 AM
re checking the alignment is in order for sure, I thought also if you had an extra cant to sacrifice, pop a chalk line and make a cut, this might help the visual aid on what and where the blade doing .

I really like that idea!
There's my new learning's for the day  ;D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

ely

low tension will cause the band to raise in the cut also.

mmartone

cooks saw blade alignment tool... With it you can probably fix your issue, mine did the same thing and now its fixed.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Thank You Sponsors!