iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about selling some timber.

Started by Hale87, March 12, 2013, 09:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

I have a small tract of timber I'm thinking of selling. I own 60 acres but the only mature timber is where the last guy, a one man operation, didn't want to venture. It's fairly steep so he avoided it. That was 20 years ago, and way before I owned it. I had a local guy look at it about 5 years ago and he said it was worth 7 or 8g. The greatest portion of the timber is white oak and rock oak. (don't know the correct name for rock oak) I want to upgrade on my bandmill, so I'm looking for a little cash, or I would just continue to sit on it. the questions I have are,,,,,, is it worth it to get a forester for such a small amount? Where's the market now and where do you see it going? Here's the PSU market report, but I'm not 100% sure of how to read it? I would be in the southwest region. Thanks for the help!

http://extension.psu.edu/timber-market-report/reports/2012/2012-4th-quarter
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Ron Scott

I'd suggest that you have a local professional forester such as your conservation district forester or a local consultant look at it the property for the best advice in local markets and the feasibility of your potential logging chance on the hillside areas.
~Ron

Texas Ranger

A little information about your location would help us decide what you might want to for, and at.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Hale87

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 12, 2013, 06:39:16 PM
A little information about your location would help us decide what you might want to for, and at.
Not exactly sure what you want? I'm in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, which is in the southwest part of the state. My property is "mountain" type, and for the most part has poor soil.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Phorester

Then you're in Ron's neck of the woods and he can give you the best advice. 

One point to keep in mind, talk with somebody who does not have an interest in buying your trees.  In other words, don't talk to timber buyers at this point.  I'm not saying they are dishonest, because they are not.  It's just that their focus is on buying your trees from you, not selling them for you. Talk to somebody who is working for you - either a consultant or a State forester, to get objective advice.

Thank You Sponsors!