iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ZIP LINE

Started by GAV64, April 12, 2004, 03:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on October 09, 2016, 09:58:48 AM
Is this block for at the bottom as another brake somehow?  I don't see what you're doing with it yet.

I'm copying what everyone else is doing. They put a block on the zip line
with a Bungee cord attached to a fixed object.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I see perfectly now.  Thanks for that.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Here is some close pictures of the trolley. I'm real happy with it but don't
use V-belt idler pulleys. Mine are shot already. You can see where the cable
cut all the way to the outside of the pulley. That little dark line in the second
picture is the cut. New pulleys are on the way (3rd picture).

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

How may trips did it handle before it got to this amount of damage?  No danger, really, as the cable would have busted out of the pulley and just hit the pulley's bolt, right?  Maybe have a little time pulling someone up/down to get off the trolley?  Are the pulleys you're getting similar to what others are using on their zip lines?
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on October 10, 2016, 07:43:41 PM
How may trips did it handle before it got to this amount of damage?  No danger, really, as the cable would have busted out of the pulley and just hit the pulley's bolt, right?  Maybe have a little time pulling someone up/down to get off the trolley?  Are the pulleys you're getting similar to what others are using on their zip lines?

There is two pulleys and 4 bolts that the cable would have to eat through to
Get out of the trolley. Grade 8 bolts. We got around 60 rides before this problem. I seen the cable eating into the pulley so I was keeping a close
Eye on it. Even if it destroyed one pulley shifting your weight would have
Gotten you down the cable on the other pulley.  If that dint work there is a 1/2"
Rope under the seat so if any thing happens you can go down the rope to
The ground. The new pullies are the best that I could find. They are solid steel.
The first set was pressed tin.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Heh.  A getaway rope under the seat, I love it!  :laugh:
I imagine these new steel pulleys will last a very long time.  If they get to wearing out I can see you welding some friction/wear plate rod into the groove and machining flat again.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on October 11, 2016, 11:24:22 AM
Heh.  A getaway rope under the seat, I love it!  :laugh:
I imagine these new steel pulleys will last a very long time.  If they get to wearing out I can see you welding some friction/wear plate rod into the groove and machining flat again.

I would have loved to have found solid yellow brass wheels.
I don't want to cause any wear on the cable.
I will be keeping a close eye on the cable.

Getaway rope... It's all part of the same rope that holds the seat to the trolley...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Cool!  Love the rope scheme.

I was thinking after I wrote the last one that anything harder than the cable is going to wear it out which isn't good.  But it is a rolling load so likely it'll flatten it somewhat I would think.  Hopefully the steel in your new pulleys and the steel in the cable are similar so everything will be dandy for a long time.

Kbeitz

Got my Bungee cord... I never seen cord as tough as this stuff...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I got one problem...
When I put the bungee on and the trolley gets push back after it stops you
I need a way to get down off the cable. With out the bungee it's not a
problem because you can walk up the ramp to dismount. I don't want a ramp
where someone can run into it. I was thinking maybe a dirt ramp mound
back where the trolley will come to a stop.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

An old wagon?  A tree stand or similar construction?  Stack of tires?  Stack of slabs?  Stack of rocks?

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Kbeitz

Anything I put there someone might hit it.
You get up to my guess 60mph .
I'm thinking the best thing is a mound of dirt that very slowly ramps up.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Saying it that way I guess I'd agree with ya.

Ljohnsaw

KB,
With all the stuff you have on hand, I'm sure you could rig this up (hydraulic or pneumatic?).  At little fairs, they run mini-ziplines.  They have a tower you climb up (counter balanced with a BIG water tank) and a trailer unit that is staked to the ground.  They run the cables (two parallel runs) through some pulleys with hydraulic rams.  It is set up like a reverse block and tackle so a little movement of the ram changes the length of the cable a lot.  With pressure gauges, they set the cable tension.  They up the tension if they see a BIG rider :D  When the rider is done (bounces off a big, long spring on the cable), they release the tension and lower you to the ground.  I'm thinking electric over hydraulic setup or maybe air pressure?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

rjwoelk

Now for some added fun some one is below and shots at the guy ziping with a paintball gun.  :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Kbeitz

The END of the line...

Guess the last person din't use the brakes.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Building a new short cut back to the beginning ...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

:)  Love it!  Simple and effective. 

Kbeitz

Done with the walk bridge...

Inspection all done... Passed...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Almost got my second trolley finished. It's unbelievable how much
time and work goes into a little thing like this. I think the hardest
part is making the rubber block. Have you ever tried cutting solid
3" rubber before? I'm ready for spring.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Metal fabrication has always amazed me at how long it takes and what little you have to show for your time sometimes.  Chainsaws cut rubber very quick and easy if you've never tried it.  Gotta make sure the rubber is held down pretty good though.  The only other way I've found is to melt/burn through it.  Outside of course!  :D
I wonder if a tire siper would work as a cutter if you take multiple passes with it?

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on February 16, 2017, 08:56:21 AM
Metal fabrication has always amazed me at how long it takes and what little you have to show for your time sometimes.  Chainsaws cut rubber very quick and easy if you've never tried it.  Gotta make sure the rubber is held down pretty good though.  The only other way I've found is to melt/burn through it.  Outside of course!  :D
I wonder if a tire siper would work as a cutter if you take multiple passes with it?

I bought a used forklift real cheap because the seller said the axles
was bent... The axles was not bent but the tires was egg shaped.
I jacked up the forklift and fired it up. I put it in gear and let the
wheels spin. Then I took the chain saw to it. They cleaned up real
good. To cut my zip-line blocks I used a 6" cut-off wheel in a side
grinder. Sure made some smoke and now my coat stinks.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Yeah, I've cut rubber that way too when I had to.  Not by choice, though.  I remember the smoke and stench.  That crap will almost take your breath away.  Not to mention the little pieces of molten rubber flinging all over the place!

Kbeitz

Yea I learned a new word today. When you cut the rubber with a
cut off wheel the rubber melts and stays melted. So I googled why.
It's called reversion. It's when the rubber breaks down. I do know
once you get that stuff on your hands it's just about impossible to
get it back off. Many years ago I got two forklift tires that was never
put into a circle. They was eight feet long four inch thick strips of
solid rubber. They sure have come in handy over the years for
different projects.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!