iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i want to be logger

Started by ryguy777, March 11, 2013, 06:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryguy777

hello everyone

im 16 years old, about to finish high school, and i want to be a logger. i would one day like to be able to skid logs with a team of mules, and own a portable sawmill. as of now i have a ford 8n tractor, and few old homelites that i use for firewood and to maintian my familys property. my cousin who has a firewood buisness tought me how to fall trees (i could use more practice) could you guys possibly give me a few pointers on how to get there, maybe how you got started, ext. any input would be greatly apreiciated, thanks!

saxon0364

Its a dirty, rough, dangerous, and low paying job kid.   And most of us that log love every minute of it.  How do you start? Depends a lot on where you live.  Where I am, in PA, it seems to me most new guys start out running a skidder and bucking on the landing.  Then if they want to they start learning how to fall trees.   There's a lot more to it than just cutting them down. 
   Out on the west coast I think, (I'm not real sure) new guys out there start setting chokers with the high line crews.   
Logging is a job you learn while doing it.     Cant learn it in a college. 
    Wait till your 18, find a logging crew and go ask about a job.   When you get turned down, and you most likely will, ask them if they know any body that might give you a try.    Keep asking till someone hires you.   Dont give up till someone gives in. 
    But be warned young man, logging is something that once started is hard to quit.  Ive know many loggers that quit and came back to the woods time after time.     Its a lifestyle.   
    Im sure other loggers will ad to what Ive said and your going to hear different opinions.  Thats okay, just keep to your goal..   If I can answer any specific questions for you I'll certainly try.   
Nothing wrong with quiet.

ryguy777

thanks for the input, im in upstate new york so starting would be about the same i would think
thanks

ArborJake

First go by a mule. If you can get it to do what you want him to, the logging part will be easy.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

pasbuild

Quote from: ArborJake on March 11, 2013, 09:05:22 PM
First go by a mule. If you can get it to do what you want him to, the logging part will be easy.

:D :D :D :D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

thecfarm

Second,Get an education.Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

If you want to work for yourself I recommend taking some business and accounting classes. Cutting and skidding trees is only part of the job. The other part is running a business and managing the books.

coxy

ARE YOU NUTS  :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: its a 7day a weak job its a hard road to hall now but hopping it gets better listen to all the in put on here and go for it   GOOD LUCK IN WHAT YOU DO   STAY SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ryguy777

thank you everyone, i really appreciate everything! ive worked in the woods with my dad and grandpa almost all my life,cutting firewood. i look forward to it every year, i love every second of it and want more of it haha

JuniperBoss

I am in the same position. I want to own a portable sawmill and skid logs with our farm tractors. All I need to do now is get out of school and get some money :D. Then I'm all set.

Glad to here of your story and you have my regards.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

thenorthman

Do everything you can to get on an established crew, you will learn more, the easy way with other people around than trying to figure it out all on your own.  Its one thing to be smart and quick witted its another to be surrounded by other quick witted chaps that have probably figured it out once or twice before...

When you do get a job keep your mouth shut and eyes and ears open,

Stay safe out there and remember this is a highly addictive occupation.
well that didn't work

beenthere

I commend you both for having goals to go after, and dreams of things you want to do. Keep them in mind as you work toward them, but don't miss any chances to consider many other worthwhile ambitions. Gather knowledge and friends, and be careful with all your youthful decisions.
The most important decisions you will EVER make that have the biggest effect on your life are at your age right now. All too easy to make a small but wrong move that keeps you from making your dreams come true, or can make them almost impossible to achieve.
Keep your eye on your goal and how you plan to make it happen.
I dare say the horse logging idea would be great fun, but plan to do that after you've made your millions doing something else as it is just a great, unique hobby. That's just my thoughts and opinion.  ;D
Wish you the best.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ken

ryguy777   The opportunities for younger folks to make a living in the forestry industry will be strong for the foreseeable future.  As others have said it can become addictive.  Good luck in your decision
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Timbercrk1

Work hard in school and get good grades. Good grades and staying out of trouble equals scholarship potential. I would go to school!!! Since you are in NY and so am I. Look hard at suny esf awesome college for forestry in are area! Also look at a 2 plus 2 program to save money. Meaning going to a community college to save then a big school. Finger Lakes community college has a good program to get started and a woodsmen team to keep the saw dust in your veins while your away from home. Look at NY logger training program NYLT and get hooked up with advice etc. which could lead to a job down the road. I know from this site and friends that the industry is a tough one and going to school and learning everything you can will help you be a success. Also as you learn. Find a niche. Something you can specialize in to make you worth more then the other person. As far as running your own business go to school and work for someone hard and learn all you can before you step into the giant headaches of running your own company. Running a biz is hard very hard but it can be worth the rewards if done correctly. Just learn all you can while your young and keep your nose clean and you will be make it! Good luck kid. Ray

SwampDonkey

As others have said, get some good school'n, don't try to by-pass that important step. Never mind that grandpa only went to grade 8, that was a different era. Keep your head on straight and learn lots, then go walk a spell behind that mule. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shortlogger

Logging is the most rewarding job i have ever done I love it, there is nothing I enjoy more than falling timber . That being said dont dismiss a good education you never know where life will take you . I am only 33 and my back is in terrible shape there is no way i could cut logs for a living anymore , I now am a industrial Waste Water opperator and am working on furthering my education to keep up with technology . I havent stoped logging but its my secondary occupation along with sawmilling this  way I make a living and get my logging and milling fix . not to discourage you just dont rule out other options .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

justallan1

You are at a good age to start out during your summer months and your schools there may even have occupational programs than that benifit employers. Check with your guidance councelor at your school. Some states will give the employers tax breaks and pay for your insurance and this can make you look pretty good in an employers eyes just enough to get you hired.
Like everyone has said, learn everything you can in school! Get all of the shop classes you can, auto and diesel mechanics, welding, metal fabrication, woodshops and any forestry classes to be had.
Where I'm from there are 100 small logging operations for every large one they need people who can do several things, not just one.
Wish you the best of luck,
Allan

ryguy777

im going to welding school in the fall, i can weld pretty good for being self taught, but i want a certification in it since welding is another job i want. as for regular school, i'll be done in about 2 months. im a pretty good mechanic, when i was really young my favorite toy was a weed eater engine that i would take apart and put back together, i brang it into show and tell in kindergarden and did this:) not trying to be cocky, just trying to let ya guys know more about me

ryguy777

thank you for all your input everyone!

JuniperBoss

I plan to go to college for a degree in "Diesel Technology" or "Diesel Mechanics". I believe that I can't really go wrong with that degree, since all my interests involve burning that stuff ;D.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

GATreeGrower

I'd agree with the guys on here who say get some kind of education.  I hated sitting in class even though I was pretty good at it, but I made myself do it and got an associates in Agribusiness.  After I finished I went right back to the woods and the farm.  But I have a very official looking piece of paper if I ever need it  8)

ryguy777

its not really college, it'd be at a vocational school....just like to have another trade under my belt

SwampDonkey

Knowing a trade like welding and engine work comes in mighty handy when a logger. In fact, I wouldn't even consider it unless I could fix stuff. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

~Ron

thenorthman

I got into machining because logging was going the way of the spotted owl... I graduated in 96, the spotted owl hit hard in 94... pretty much every brush ape around here was looking for work anywhere and everywhere... good times ::)
Now I'm going back to logging, never really left, not sure I could if I wanted too.  (been part time logging off and on most of my adult life, when there was trees to cut...)

The point is have a backup plan. 
well that didn't work

ryguy777

thanks for everything guys! im gonna try to get a job in the woods this summer, hopefully i'll find something

cutter88

Quote from: ArborJake on March 11, 2013, 09:05:22 PM

LOL ive been laughing at this comment for an hour so true
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

cutter88

as a young guy my self all i can say is go for it! but one thing is for sure its not a job its a life style im only 25 my self and have been on my own logging for 3 years... and as outhers have said prepare to be broke some times mills can be sickining slow at paying :o :o  and also school is important i wanted to start logging the day i walked outa high school but my dad made me go to trade school and im glad i did becuase logging machines tend to be broke ALL THE TIME lol...
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Andrew Lawrence

there is a school in ny, trade school or college I'm not sure. I've heard great things about it from successful people.Can't think of the name.
Lawrence Lot Clearing Logging                            To God be the glory

Corley5

You need to be absolutely sure because once you're in it there's little chance of turning back.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

log cutter

Also take a business class if you can. I took accounting in high school and use it a lot. Why did i take it? Because that is where the girls were. :)
Timbco 475E

CX3

I went to college and have a bachelors degree in agriculture. But I knew I wanted to be my own boss and loved outdoors so a logger I am. I love machinery and saws too.

Its a tough job but extremely rewarding.

I started with a farm tractor which I don't recommend. Get you a small skidder. Forget those mules. They'd tire out before you could make enough to get back home.

Find a good woman cuz you'll need her to rub your back. You'll get tired and sore.

Make friends with the guys at the mill. You'll need them for a check.

Get you a good Bible and read it.

That and stihl saws and you should be good. Have fun. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

cutter88

Quote from: CX3 on March 22, 2013, 05:12:35 AM
I went to college and have a bachelors degree in agriculture. But I knew I wanted to be my own boss and loved outdoors so a logger I am. I love machinery and saws too.

Its a tough job but extremely rewarding.

I started with a farm tractor which I don't recommend. Get you a small skidder. Forget those mules. They'd tire out before you could make enough to get back home.

Find a good woman cuz you'll need her to rub your back. You'll get tired and sore.

Make friends with the guys at the mill. You'll need them for a check.

Get you a good Bible and read it.

That and stihl saws and you should be good. Have fun.

very good advice right to the last word
Romans 10 vs 9 

Corley5

Find a good woman with a well paying job with benefits.  She'll need to be understanding too.  You'll need her  ;D

Ed_K

Ed K

GDinMaine

I admire your goals, but I too would suggest to stay in school until you get good at welding or diesel work or the like.  I'm no logger but I can weld pretty good and I lost count how many times I fixed farm and logging equipment for my neighbor.  Granted I do that for free because I love the fact that the guy has a real farm next door and want to help him keep going.  Have something you can fall back on, in case things take an unexpected turn.  I like the woods as much as the next guy but only so many can earn a living from that.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

GDinMaine

Quote from: Corley5 on March 22, 2013, 08:52:05 AM
Find a good woman with a well paying job with benefits.  She'll need to be understanding too.  You'll need her  ;D

smiley_clapping 
Take that and put it in the bank!!!
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

captain_crunch

stay in school and get an education Started logging at 25 worked as a pump tech now at 59 falling trees again. Love logging but lots of better jobs out there for a young man. things are busy out west now beings logs are 700.00 per thousand on truck but bet bottom will soon fall out. But if you are bound to try it find an old established company where safety comes first newbe outfits tend to be HI BALL and green horns get smashed   Just me 2bits worth
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

NH Forester

I worked in the woods until I was 25 and then went and got a forestry degree after getting hurt and not being able to work in the woods for a year. Right after graduation I bought my first cable skidder (on #5 now...). I know I recommend that my boys (6 and 2, yeah, I know, they'll probably want to be punk rockers or whatever else they have out that's worse when they are college age...I know I did) get at least an AAS in forestry or another ag related degree and work in the woods during breaks and summers. Taking this approach has opened up many more opportunities for me that I would never even have known about had I not gone to school. I get to choose which jobs I cut and which I just mark. I don't take all the gravy and I mark my jobs the same as any that I put out to bid. All of the guys that work for me are happy and say they have never worked for a forester that can cut his own hitches. I prefer cutting and yarding with a cable skidder but it is nice to get a little time on snowshoes marking timber with my German Shepherd. I worked for two huge management companies for a few years. Just long enough to know that wasn't the type of forestry I was interested in (industrial forestry). I hope this helps, I know that I would have appreciated a little push in the right direction back in the day. It would have saved me YEARS of sweat equity and spinning my wheels in this business. You'll still need to pay your dues and don't let yourself get that arrogance that most brand new forestry grads get. There's no faster way to lose a logger's respect than to think you are better than them because you went to college while they went to the school of hard knocks for their advanced degree.

Your retirement plan can be consulting as a forester until you drop. It looks like we'll all be late for our funeral because we're at work after Obama gets finished with us.

My $0.02 but it has worked for me....so far.

Good luck.
A head on a pike no longer conspires.

Norse Proverb

NH Forester

Quote from: GDinMaine on March 22, 2013, 11:18:11 PM
Quote from: Corley5 on March 22, 2013, 08:52:05 AM

smiley_clapping 
Take that and put it in the bank!!!

Amen Brother!!

I met mine in college. She was an Animal Science major (vet tech) and is now an RN. A big help if you work in the woods.... She can take care of the dogs and/or me when we get banged up. And yes, we are on her insurance now. When I started out I could buy my own health insurance at $125/month. Not anymore.
A head on a pike no longer conspires.

Norse Proverb

thecfarm

Start saving for retirement too. 401k were it 25 years ago,I have no idea what's out there now,3% is nothing a week to put away.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gwilson

Everyone on here has some good advice and has experience to back them up. I'm glad to see so many people with a bright outlook on the future of the forest industry and helping people get into it instead of discouraging them! I am just a couple steps ahead of some of these guys in that I am in school working on a Forestry Degree and log in the summer. I recently upgraded from a farm tractor skidding to a timberjack grapple skidder  :) which also makes you a better mechanic. Every break i get I go home and fix something on it. I knew in highschool that I wanted to do something Farming/Timber related and wanted to have options so a four year forestry degree and some logging experience in college are building the base so I will know where I am headed after graduation. 

OH logger

i am also young (32) so i have been there. no one in my family has ever logged or even thought about it as there arent many loggers around here at all. just farm fields. i did grow up on a farm though which was  a great experiance. i went to hocking college for timber harvesting (why i did is a long story) and im sure people thought Why are you going to school to cut trees. but i have no regrets cause i learned a lot bout business anf how to cut and skid lay trails out, etc. i had maybe ran a saw for 10 minutes beforew going to college (i told you it is all feilds around here). then i interned with a sawmill /logging crew and worked for them for 3 years and worked for a land clearing crew for 4 years before going out on my own. then i contract cut and skidded to learn off of others and bought my own timber. now i do my own timber almost exclusively and am very happy. thats what worked for me.
john

ClarkF66

You know if you want to be a logger. When I was 16 all I wanted to do was to run a skidder. Between the lights on my Timberjack 215 and the moonlight I saw enough to get the trees on the ground and most of the limbs off at night after highschool was out. Both my parents where academics and wanted me to go to college, but I had to log. After 15 years the 'bug' wore off enough I went to college and got an MBA.
If you really want to go logging you should. I know I would do it all over. Good luck!

ryguy777

thank you everyone! i forgot to check back on this, i dought anyones still reading it now but oh well.... yeah i think id like to start working on a forestry degree in the somewhat near future.... i really like what cx3 said, i happen to own a fancy mossy oak bible, and pray every night, and my girlfriend wants to be an orthodontist (sssssccore! yeah shes a keeper) i want to be doing about what NH forester is doing, id like to be able to do marking jobs, and be able to cut and maybe do some sort of timberlot management plans/timberstand improvement for people.... i also want to make maple syrup like my grandpa, and great grandpa

beenthere

Oh yes, we are still reading. Once you pull up a stump here, you are not sittin alone.   8)

Lay out your plans and start by visiting a forestry school, or two. Talk to some people in the department and let them know your interests.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ryguy777

ryguy777

so what do you guys think, a 2 year forestry degree or 4 year? and would it be worth it keep a team of mules around so i can pick up a few more jobs here and there where the land owner doesnt want his land torn up by skidders? it just seems like theres alot of people with good timber they'd sell, but just dont want the land torn up by skidders and bull dozers

Corley5

Mules eat whether they are working and earning their keep or just hanging out in the barn.  A small 4wd tractor with a skidding winch is just as low impact as draft animals and it doesn't require food and water when it's idle.

celliott

I just finished up a 2 year AAS Forest Technology degree at Paul Smiths College in upstate NY. As for a 2 year or 4 year degree, I think the general consensus is your gonna need a 4 year. I am probably looking at going back to school in a few years to complete a bachelors degree. Whether that degree is in forestry, or something else, we'll see. I can go to a local state school for alot less $$$ than out of state forestry school.

Take a look at UNH, Definitely Umaine Orono, and Paul Smiths college as well. I know a few people from New Hampshire that went to\are going to PSC.
You can't park a hayburner when you go to college and just leave it alone. Diesel engine doesn't eat or get sick when you're away either. JMO on mules and horses  ;)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ryguy777

thanks for the info celliot

celliott

If you want any more information about Paul Smiths, I can give you a student's perspective, not the jazzed up admissions information you'd get if you visited. PM me if you have any specific questions.
It is a good forestry school, with good emphasis on the technical, field portion. The school has a skidder, bulldozer, prentice log loader, circular sawmill and woodmizer lt40 hydraulic bandmill, and a 1700 tap sugarbush, plenty of stuff to learn with. Alot of people go there expecting to do all the fun stuff right off, but your first couple semesters are pretty straightforward classes, and it puts some people off a bit, I think. Just something to think about.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

ryguy777

man that sounds like an awesome place! im deffinetly going to look into that. where abouts is it? id deffinetly be interested in anything you can tell me about it

ryguy777

is that the one wayyyy up there almost in ontario? when i was really little my grandparents got me a brochure from there cause they knew i wanted to be a logger, even back then

celliott

Not in Canada, Paul Smiths is in the Adirondack park in New York. Near Saranac Lake, or Lake Placid.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

ryguy777

yeah not in canada but way up in the adirondacks almost on the border? i remember theres one up there

celliott

It's maybe 45 minutes from the Canadian border. Quebec province though, not Ontario. Maybe 2 hours from Montreal. Whereabouts are you from? I think I mistakenly assumed you were from New Hampshire.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

ryguy777

im from upstate new york, the southern tier part near pa. im from ny and spend my summers there and i am moving back this summer. ive been in indiana for the past 3 years.... kinda hard to be where its so flat and no trees when home to me is mountains and woods

harrymontana

come to Bolivia and start logging some real ipe, massaranduba or tigerwood logs. For the weekends it is easy women logging too.
everything on hardwood

beenthere

Quotefrom upstate new york, the southern tier part near pa. im from ny and spend my summers there  and i am moving back this summer. ive been in indiana for the past 3 years....

Been in high school there, and home for the summer ??
south central Wisconsin

JRod

From the forester's perspective, I'd second what most others have said. Learn as much as you can about business, accounting, economics, etc. It might be a little more dirty, but supply and demand exists as much in logging as it does at Wal-Mart and McDonald's. Even in my short career, I've seen that the loggers that do the best are the ones who understand business. They don't take jobs they can't make money off of (but sometimes you don't know that until it's too late  :-[). Going along with that, having a forestry degree would definitely help you figure out which ones are worth the time. Besides learning all the different inventory methods, you'd have the opportunity to take more business classes that you might not be able to find outside of college.

And if you're like me and everyone else I knew when I was 16, we changed our career paths a couple times along the way. You might drive a skidder for a couple summers and realize it's not what you want to do; you might decide you'd rather stick more with being a forester and go that route; or you might take a random class in college and decide you want to do something completely different. I didn't even know forestry existed when I started college. In other words, have a goal like others have said, but be able to realize when your goal might not be quite what you want anymore or when an opportunity presents itself that you never planned on.

CX3

My Bible happens to have a fancy mossy oak cover as well!
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

ryguy777

cx3, yeah there about the coolest bible ive seen haha  and beenthere, yes but i might be moving back for good soon, hope so anyways. i usually get back for summer and deer season and a few smaller trips inbetween

ryguy777

just a little update..... im back in new york now, im hoping to get some work in our woods done soon.... also gonna visit an old family friend who is a loggerand get some advice from him. and last but not least, im visiting paul smiths college this weekend:)

beenthere

Good to hear from you, and let us know how your visits go.  8)
south central Wisconsin

ryguy777

the visit went good, looks like an awesome place for me. the downside is its about a 6 hour drive from home so getting back on weekends or whenever would be not so convenient. im gonna keep the place in mind but id like to look into some other forestry schools too

beenthere

Skip those weekends going home. More fun staying and even getting some additional study time.   ;D ;D

Time to move on......
south central Wisconsin

ryguy777

i may just end up going that route 8)

Thank You Sponsors!