iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pricing suggestions?

Started by DaleK, March 11, 2013, 07:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaleK

Got a guy coming to look at some wood today and I really have no good idea what it's worth. 1x26"x102" red oak, no defects and great grain, been drying about 5 years now and it's nice and straight with no splitting. Called around but nobody else seems to have a good idea either. What would you guys charge?
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

WDH

My price for clear, wide oak is $3.00/BF.  However, your boards are exceptionally wide.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kansas

No less than 6 dollars bd ft. If you aren't in a hurry to move it, bump that price up.

When we first started years ago, I was so naive, and the internet and this board wasn't around, I didn't realize we could charge more for special stuff. First person I ever hired got me straightened out about that. He was a woodworker.

DaleK

Thanks guys. Sounds like he only wants one board out of the stack so I think I'll try $100
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

woodworker9

I think pricing is very geographically sensitive.  Around my neck of the woods, I can purchase all the wide white and red oak I want for $3.50 to $4.00 per bf..  I pay $6 for 12/4 cherry, walnut, honey locust, etc...... and can get it readily in long, wide slabs from a local supplier who specializes in thick, wide slabs of hardwood. 

I also think that discounts should come in volume, and a someone buying just one board from you shouldn't be able to get any discounts.  On the other hand, though, you have to remember that he may come back and buy more, and he can also tell his friends where he got such a nice, wide, clear piece of timber from.

WW9
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Jay C. White Cloud

Your price (~$5.432/bf) is more than fair for that width in your area, you could even go to 6 or 7/bf as this is premium wood past 20" wide.  I agree, a discount for volume is in order, feel him out for future interest.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

beenthere

QuoteGot a guy coming to look at some wood today and I really have no good idea what it's worth. 1x26"x102" red oak, no defects and great grain, been drying about 5 years now and it's nice and straight with no splitting.

Seems if he is coming for one specific board, then he (and you) have already discussed this board.
The $100 price seems fair.
If not discussed yet, the buyer may have no idea what piece you have in mind to try to sell to him.
But if he walks without it, then you will need to find another buyer (and continue to store it). ;)
So the question, what is it worth to you to have it "gone" ? :)

That must have been one huge log to have a board that wide with no defects.  ::)

Hope you can and will post a pic of that one.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

A gimmick used by buyers of just a board or two is to ask the price per thousand and talk like they are interested in quite a bit.  But only want to take one board now to try it out and if it works out, then they will come back for a lot more.  I sell it to them at the single board price and tell them that when they come back for a stack then I will figure in a discount on the board they are buying.  I tell them this way, they won't feel bad if they decide not to come back.  This puts the onus on them to come back or not come back and you will come out fine either way.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Jay C. White Cloud

:D :D :D Cedarman, we do the same thing...love it when they try and pull that trick out of their hat. :D :D :D
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Thank You Sponsors!