iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this? Canker?

Started by GATreeGrower, March 10, 2013, 11:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

BaldBob

It looks like a canker caused by Fusiform Rust.

SwampDonkey

Since it's pine, I would say a rust got at it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VT_Forestry

Yup, Fusiform Rust.  In a few weeks (depending on temperature) you'll see that turn bright orange as the spores develop.  This is one that got missed during pre-commercial thinning a few years ago.  Time of year was around the first of April.

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

WDH

Yes, fusiform rust.  The fungus uses oaks as an alternate host.  Part of the life cycle is on oak, the other part on the pine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

Thank yall...should I go on and take it out or leave it?

BaldBob

I'd take it out - it's likely toast anyway. Getting it before the spores form would reduce the amount of spores getting to the alternate host.  Though that won't do a lot in controlling its spread, it may have some effect.

Claybraker

Just so I understand, since it requires oak as an alternate host, a good hardwood control program is about the only defense?

WDH

Yes, but a poor one because the spores are wind blown, and it is impossible to get rid of all the oaks.  They could be a quarter of a mile away and still be in play.  The good thing is that after the trees get up to about age 6 - 8, few new stem cankers form.  After that age, most of the infection is on branches, and the rule of thumb is that if the canker is about 1 foot away from the stem on the branch, it will not impact the stem wood over the life of the tree. 

A tree with a stem canker can and often does live a full life.  The biggest issue is breakage in strong winds.  Otherwise, the cankers don't seem to impact the tree too much from a growth standpoint, but the cankers ruin that portion of a future log.  They cannot be sawn in lumber as the canker wood is weaker than normal wood.  Most times in logging, they are cut out or the stem goes to pulpwood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

Can a cankered branch less than a foot away be cut off to "save" the tree or would it just stir up the spores? 

GATreeGrower

And again thanks so much for the feedback

WDH

By all means cut it off.  The spores are only active for a couple of weeks in the Spring anyway. 

SwampDonkey

I experienced a sad state of affairs with white pine plantations. There was an old lady that wanted white pine on her old field. The marketing board had them planted by contractor. Anyway, what the blister rust didn't get, the weevils did, some trees got the double whammy, weevil and rust on same. Nasty rotten disease.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Yes,that does look nasty,the yellow spores one.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GATreeGrower

I went back and looked around the stand, sure enough...

thecfarm

I know you don't burn wood down there much,but there would be some nice sticks of wood to keep a house warm.  :( That looks some nasty.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GATreeGrower

Im afraid to cut em down now, its been so much like spring lately

WDH

It won't matter.  Cut away.  The spores will do as spores do.  Heck, if you cut them now, you might even thwart a few spores  :).

GATreeGrower

Might be a good time to bust out the clearing saw I just got :)

GATreeGrower

So I have one more question...what to do with the infected trees?  Remove them completely? As in far far away from the stand or can they be left?

WDH

The spores from the cankers from the felled trees will not infect the surrounding pines.  They have to spend the next part of their life cycle on an oak.  It is probably futile to try and remove them.  I would let them lay and rot.  The spores will only be viable for a very short period of time.  Plus, moving them will only just spread more of the spores in the wind.

Thank You Sponsors!