iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbing Cottonwood and White Oak in California... pic heavy...

Started by octam1, March 09, 2013, 10:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octam1

Been reading here for a long time but have not been able to post much... internet connection issues are behind us so we should be able to post more moving forward... This post will be picture heavy cause I know everyone likes to see pictures of what others are up to... lol...

I appologize that some of the pictures may have alot of shading in them, we where lucky enough to be under the shade canopy of some pretty big oak trees on this project...

Getting cottonwood log in the mill and ready to slab

Getting the first cut started

This was two slabs in if I remember correctly

Dads working on the third slab

Lots of nice colors and grains in this cottonwood

Just under 3' worth of cut

Lots of nice figure in the crotches

Has some nice bullets embedded inside too

These slabs came out pretty good

Dad even had a good time running the Lucas... lol

for those of you unfamiliar with the Lucas Slabbing attatchment, this is the oiler side out at the bar tip...

This is the clutch and drive sprocket side of the bar

Makin some chips fly...

Nice stack of slabs, all 3" thick

we moved the 3" slabs in front of of this stack of 2" thick slabs that came off of the LT40 manual
KnottHead Custom Sawing & FabWorx
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

WoodMizer LT40SHDG38 w/AS2 & Debarker
Lucas 8-20 Swinger w/60" Slabber & Planer
Solar/Dehumidifier Kiln in the worx
Stihl - 2x 026's, 044, 046, 2x 066, MS660, 2x 088 & 3x 075AV

octam1

Here are some pix of a large White Oak log from the same project...

Loading the oak log in the mill

3" thick oak slabs get pretty heavy... Pretty wood tho...

Hard to see the grains in the picture but it looked pretty good

Oak slabs wuz kindar hard for dad to hold up, but he managed for a pic... lol...

I had to get myself in there too...

Stack of White Oak 3" thick slabs ready for drying time...

I have more pictures to post in this thread but I am on a sattalite connection so its kind of slow for me... I will get some more added in here soon...

Charles.
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

kderby

Lud

Good lookin' slabs.   How do you dry them?  Slow and long?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Charloes,

Nice work!  Those white oak brutes look heavy.  Do you have to spray for powderpost beetles?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

octam1

Thanks guy's! Yes the slabs of oak are quite heavy but these ones arent as heavy as the ones that followed them... they got stacked and stickered under sone heavy tree cover, we wighted them down with outer slab cuts and buckets of sand followed by covering them to shed water... as for moving them around, we used wedges to get some pieces of pvc pipes under them, some of them we rolled off into a stack but we used a tractor to move most of them, they quickly got to be too heavy for me and my dad to easily move them by hand... we sealed the ends with baileys end sealer but did not spray them down with anything...
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

octam1

here is one of the crotch sections we slabbed

even with the bark inclutions, still some nice slabs of oak

lots of figure in these ones

these should make for some really nice and crative table tops...

that about does it for the small ones... lol...
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

redbeard

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

octam1

we also had the opportunity to do some just slightly larger on this project...

This log was just shy of 18' long and had to be moved one side at a time... little by little... lol...

with the Lucas set up around it you can get a better idea of just how small it was... lol...

just about ready to get started

I probably shouldn't repeat the things dad was saying... lol... it was something like "this thing is pretty neat-o big" but not in those same words... lol...

wholly cow, only 9' more to go... lol

Man that's alot of bf rite there...

now we gotta move that sucker...

at this point the slabs are just about 36" to 38" at the far end...

Dang... we getting tired... lol...

pretty wide at this point, it was over 4' wide on the side closest to camera...

we tipped this one sideways while we were moving it to get a pic of just how big these slabs are... 3" thick, over 48" on the left and just under 18' long...

Stack of slabs stickered up...

usually at the end of the day, if we have not finnished the log, we cover it with sawdust... not sure if it helps but we figured it can't hurt and it's just what we always do... lol...

Dads pose'in with some of them slabs... give ya a visual reference to just how big they are...

Different view of the slab stacks... and still more to come... 

same stacks, different view...

the slabs added up quick, but that was not all of them...
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

drobertson

Nice work Octam1! real nice, what is the market for these monsters?   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: octam1 on March 10, 2013, 12:28:30 PM
Thanks guy's! Yes the slabs of oak are quite heavy but these ones arent as heavy as the ones that followed them... they got stacked and stickered under sone heavy tree cover, we wighted them down with outer slab cuts and buckets of sand followed by covering them to shed water... as for moving them around, we used wedges to get some pieces of pvc pipes under them, some of them we rolled off into a stack but we used a tractor to move most of them, they quickly got to be too heavy for me and my dad to easily move them by hand... we sealed the ends with baileys end sealer but did not spray them down with anything...
Do you raise the rails out of the way after each cut, to move off a slab? Is it easy to get the setting back?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

Prolly just slides them off onto those long multi-forks on that bucket FEL.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SAWMILL BUDDY

Nice slabs. How wide is your slabber? I sure could use one.

octam1

Market for the slabs is to be determined... Our customer said slab it, so we slabbed it...

As far as moving the rails... no we dont ususally move the rails... we usually work some straps under the slab and then put the straps on the forks of a tracktor or bobcat... The tracktor we used at that jobsite was provided by them so we just looped the straps on the tines of the orchard rake... at our place we use a fork lift or the fork attachment on a skidsteer to move slabs...

we tried moving the rails down and out of the way, but we decided it's just easier for us to lift the slabs out with hyro power, we try to be really careful so we dont damage the rails, we have done a some logs with nothing to move the slabs but people power, and we usually work some pvc pipes under the slabs and push them off into a pile... it's harder that way but it works...

if I remember correctly it will cut 60" at this time... but I do have drawings started for a another carrage I would like to make that will allow us to make some wider cuts... but thats project is a ways off, too many other projects and things going on for the time being...

as you can see... we are not affraid of working with the bigger stuff and the word is getting out that we mill bigguns...

these ones landed in our yard... still have to get to them tho...
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

customsawyer

I like the biguns. Very nice pics. There is some great looking slabs in that stack.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Woodkiller

WDH

My body hurts just looking at those slabs  :).  Have to spray oak down here or powderpost beetles are sure to get in them.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

You guys are in 8)  I looked at the slabbers, never knew how they worked, a must have for what you all are doing for sure.  I have turned down some big oaks in the past the very reason of no way to cut them.  Just can't justify the cost for the limited use.  Still makes one want one all the same,   love the pics, keep them coming as you can,  I remember the slow internet, what a pain this can be,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ayerwood

Those are some beautiful slabs for sure.  Nice work!  I got a slabbing attachment last year and am planning to do some large maple stuff this summer.  These pics have made me want to move up the start date!

justallan1

Great pictures. Now I understand a bit more about that sort of mill, thanks.
Allan

thecfarm

Nice picture of the one on edge with your Dad standing by the slab that is held up by the tractor. This dial up did fine with your pictures. Well worth the wait. That customer has the slab market cornered.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!