iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Went down to the woods today

Started by Happycamper, March 09, 2013, 06:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happycamper

Took the old H and chain saw down to the woods today and de limbed  a cedar that had broken off and dragged 16' home. Cut it 8' and put it on the mill. Mill did a fine job of cutting it and I was happy to finally get sawing
                        Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Peter Drouin

Nice job, whats the plan for the cedar :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

rimshot

You have some nice timber out your way Jim.  Looks like a nice cant on the saw bed too.  If your mill is a 10 h.p., did you figure out a way to deflect that exhaust away from the verticle post on the head. I had a nice little elbo rigged up but they hit the top of the mill horizontal piece when I muscled the head wide open (up).

rim                                               
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

drobertson

Happy for you!  and glad to see the power feed block working out ;D  hope you get things worked out soon,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Where's all your snow there? The ground here is still covered with at least 6 inches in the field. Did you learn how to pick up logs from Magicman?   :D   Much easier than the CSM,the sawing part anyways??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

Quote from: rimshot on March 09, 2013, 07:02:41 PM
.  If your mill is a 10 h.p., did you figure out a way to deflect that exhaust away from the verticle post on the head. I had a nice little elbo rigged up but they hit the top of the mill horizontal piece when I muscled the head wide open (up).

rim                                             
I was not too concerned with where the exhaust was going, except I didn't particularly like breathing it.  Until I get the elbow thing done, I walk on the other side away from the muffler.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Happycamper

Peter,
The best of the cedar will be saved for cedar chests.
rim,
I put an elbo on right away but found that it won't clear the top so took it off till I figure something else out. Back to the drawing table.
drobertson,
I hope this week Wm comes up with a solution.
thecfarm,
Still a little snow left in the fields. Log lift idea I saw on the forum somewhere a while ago, works great

5quarter

Happy...is that a white cedar you have there? I've only sawn ERC and WRC and your log doesn't look like either of those. What other types of trees do you have? Any Maple or Birch on your place? very nice tractor BTW...
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Happycamper

5quarter,
  It's western red cedar, we have a maple but it is a soft variety not like the eastern maple. Birch we have which is the hardest wood available. I burn birch for heating my house, longer lasting and has nice coals. I made my shop floor of white birch, screwed down with plugs.
                                  Jim

Happycamper

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

samandothers

Very nice cedar chests!   

Watch out going up those steps could be a bit tricky!   ;D

Happycamper

Stringers and treads are for an elderly lady in a trailer park. I visited her last fall and saw her entrance stairs were not well so made a new set for her.

drobertson

After fixin them steps, there will be two happy campers ;D

Woodkiller

I sawed 3 8" cedar logs in trade for 1 cedar that was pushing 18". I have it stacked and stickered for a cedar chest for my daughter. She doesn't know about it.

samandothers

You are a fine fella to help the lady!

5quarter

Happy...the floor in your shop is nicer than the floor in my dining room.  :D  WRC...very nice. Ive never sawed one with the bark on. All I can get around here are what's leftover wrc from log cabin builds. Those are some great blanket chests, btw.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!