iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big White Oak

Started by Slab Slicer, March 08, 2013, 09:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slab Slicer

Not a logger, so I figured I'd post this one here. A buddy of mine, and I will be heading out again this weekend to haul out some blow downs from Sandy. There are 2 in particular that I'm looking forward to. A 36" DBH white Oak, and a 26" DBH red oak. The white oak went down first, and the red landed on top of it. They are both on a good size slope, so there will be some work to do since we don't have any real logging equipment. Here's a couple of pics of the 2 trees. The white fell directly down the slope, and the red fell across the slope. We have the red out of the way, and will be working on the white this Sunday. Here's some pics. Can't really tell how steep the slope is, but it's there.

Here's me and the up ended root ball of the white.

The red bucked, and ready to skid out. A couple 11', and a 9'. You can see a bit of the white just along the left of this pic.

The butt log of the red being skidded uphill. This was our only choice. Downhill was the neighbors property, and I don't think he would have liked us skidding across his yard  :D  You can get some idea of the slope we were working on. This is my buddy Jim with his 1985 Kubota 3750.

Even with a little counterweight in the bucket, my little kubota was pulling some logs up that slope.  :D

Here I am with the white oak for size comparison. I'm 6' 1"  175lbs . We're thinking we can get at least a couple of 11 footers out of this, along with a good crotch for some figure slabs, and a bunch of firewood.

2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

WDH

That white oak is a hoss, for sure.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

So let's see them cut up into cool stuff. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

lowpolyjoe

Sweet.  8)   Looking forward to some more pics when it's cut up

thecfarm

The white made some noise when it came down.  :o  Did the red oak stump did not fall back into the ground? I think I see it still up rooted. I suppose you know,don't trust them DanG things. Don't get too greedy and cut the white oak too long. What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Slab Slicer

Hoss is a good word for it WDH. We have some snatch blocks, and cable to make things a bit easier, getting it up the slope. After that, it's a pretty much flat skid to the landing.

As for cutting them into cool stuff mb, The white will be cut to order. All I need are some orders. I don't think I'll have any issues moving it though. The same for the red. Of course, I have plenty of red on hand. I'd hate to cut it all into 4/4 boards, and someone want something different.

Just getting the white on my LT15 will be fun. I'll be sure to post some pics of that job.

Here's a pic of the "landing". Not much, but like I said, we're not big time loggers.  :D I've hauled a few other smaller ones home already, and added some black walnut that's been down for 3 years or so, to this pile. They are ugly, but solid. Can't wait to open them up.

2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Slab Slicer

Quote from: thecfarm on March 08, 2013, 09:46:35 PM
The white made some noise when it came down.  :o  Did the red oak stump did not fall back into the ground? I think I see it still up rooted. I suppose you know,don't trust them DanG things. Don't get too greedy and cut the white oak too long. What's the plan for the lumber?

Those stumps can end your day quick if they set back up on you. The red stayed put while we were there. Not sure what happened after we left. I'll be carefull of the white stump for sure.

Any suggestions on lengths for the white. No real plan for the lumber just yet. I just know I want it.  ;D
Chuck

mesquite buckeye

Looks nicer than most of my landings......

Usually after the first few days of cutting the weeds get smashed down. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Slab Slicer

No heavy logging equipment, so the weeds will live on  :D . This is actually the edge of the landowners property, near a horse pasture. It's just along the road, so access is easy. It's a real remote stretch, so traffic is not an issue. The area that we're getting these 2 large trees from is within the setback of an area that was just logged this past summer. Since these tress were in the setback, they were not taken down. No need to let them go to waste since they blew down though. I'll bet the logger would have loved to have them though. Other blow downs on the property aren't very large, but should make some nice boards, and or fire wood.
Chuck

Ianab

QuoteAny suggestions on lengths for the white. No real plan for the lumber just yet. I just know I want it.

Probably easier to go a bit shorter, just so you can handle the butt log easier, with only a small tractor and a manual mill. An 8 ft log is MUCH easier to wrangle than a 16 ft log  ;) That big Oak would be a good candidate for quarter sawing I'd think?

If the root balls are still standing up I'd give them a push with the tractor and see if they will flop back. That way you aren't leaving a trap for neighbourhood kids. If the tractor can't move them, then they are probably safe enough to leave.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

It probabley would not be a bad idea to Anchorseal those logs if they are to me milled  shortly .If a long time roofing tar works better .Just cut a cookie off the ends and reseal with Anchorseal before you saw them .

Slab Slicer

I can see the reason for the shorter logs, since we don't have the heavy equipment. At least some that's minimum grade length, plus something for checking. Will do on the stumps also. I was thinking the same thing. I'd hate to have someone injured or worse because I didn't take the time.

Anchor Seal for sure on all my logs. I've been through alot of since I got the mill. Deb likes painting the ends of the logs with it  ;)  She grabs up her brush, and the gallon can, and "goes to town".  :D
Chuck

Peter Drouin

Nice job, if you can push the stumps back up right with the tractor ,
maybe get the bucket under the stump and lift, or put a long chan and pull it over , good luck :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

On a log that size 10 feet plus trim is about all you can physically manage on the LT15.  I would also cut the butt log 8.5 feet and quartersaw it.  Since you take it apart in sections to quartersaw it, the sections are easier to handle.  This makes a huge difference if you are working alone.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Slab Slicer

Quote from: WDH on March 09, 2013, 06:55:00 AM
On a log that size 10 feet plus trim is about all you can physically manage on the LT15.  I would also cut the butt log 8.5 feet and quartersaw it.  Since you take it apart in sections to quartersaw it, the sections are easier to handle.  This makes a huge difference if you are working alone.

I may have to quarter this log even before I saw it, since the LT15 only handles a 27" log. Or at least "half it".  It's not perfectly round though. Sort of oval shaped. 36 x 26 IIRC, si may be able to set it up that I can saw it, without quartering first.
Chuck

WDH

Take some pics.  Every time I try one that big, I swear off doing it again.  It can be a painful experience  :).

Woodhauler

Quote from: Slab Slicer on March 08, 2013, 09:51:06 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on March 08, 2013, 09:46:35 PM

Those stumps can end your day quick if they set back up on you. The red stayed put while we were there. Not sure what happened after we left. I'll be carefull of the white stump for sure.

Any suggestions on lengths for the white. No real plan for the lumber just yet. I just know I want it.  ;D
Take your tractor and try and push the stump back over! A guy up here in maine a few years back was cutting a blow down off the stump and when he got done his grandson couldn't be found..... They found him under the stump dead.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Slab Slicer

Well I guess this will have to wait a few days. Just got it of the cardiac cath lab at the hospital . I had severe chest pain this am while working in the yard.  Tthought it was heartbeat but it would quit so Deb called 911. Turns out I had a good size blockage. This will keep mw layed up for a few.days. I hope we can get back to it in the next couple of weeks
Chuck

beenthere

Sorry to hear about the setback, but sounds like you are in good hands now to get the problem corrected.
In the meantime, enjoy the rest and rehab.
Keep us posted.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Age 49 I see. Do what they tell you to do, They know thier job.!!!  Good luck. Please keep us all posted on what is going on. Test,test and more test. They just want to make sure you are OK. We can wait to see them logs sawed.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Wow Chuck, thankfully the steps were taken to get you the correct treatment.  Please keep us updated.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slab Slicer

Will do on listening to the docs . This surprised the he'll out of me. I don't see why though Dad had this happen at the same age. All my nbers are good and no meds . Just the family history.
Chuck

Sonofman

Take it easy til the docs say so, the logs will wait.

I just finished splitting the rounds on a large red oak that blew down near here about a year ago, about 36" dia at the butt. I cut up the limbs and got them out, then sawed the main trunk into 20"rounds. As I cut the rounds and got closer and closer to the butt, I just knew it was going to sit up on me, I was expecting it each time I finished a round. It never did, though. About 2 weeks after cutting all the rounds, I went down to do some splitting, and the stump was sitting up. Glad it did, but did not do it with me.
Located due west of Due West.

samandothers

Sorry to hear of your issues with the blockage!  As said follow the docs orders and recover quickly!

Look forward to you continuing the thread!

drobertson

Slab Slicer, real sorry to hear of your issues, take care, the logs can wait, the weather will only get better as you get things worked out and flowing again,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!