iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

D5 vs D4

Started by MICKEY108, March 07, 2013, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

i was thinking about buying a new dozer to log with i was wanting ya'll input thanks 4 any help cat is the closes dealer

beenthere

Whereabouts are you located?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

keloo.comly slagle

If you get a dozer for logging only.Dont. To slowe Try used skidder. Half price usually. Cheaper parts less diesel

MICKEY108

lynde37avery

I own both a JD crawler and franklin skidder. I prefer the dozer. easier maneuver , slower yes. but no tire chains to deal with and tippy top heavy riding. I want a CAT D5 xl series one day.
Detroit WHAT?

coxy

just ask the bank thay got millions :D :D :D :D :D been trying to get for years :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MICKEY108

cat dealer priced a D3 with forestry package $130,000 $2400 dollars a month 2.3% for 60 months

lumberjack48

Quote from: lynde37avery on March 11, 2013, 07:50:36 PM
I own both a JD crawler and franklin skidder. I prefer the dozer. easier maneuver , slower yes. but no tire chains to deal with and tippy top heavy riding. I want a CAT D5 xl series one day.
Take your Franklin and load the tires, setting in the seat will feel the same as setting on your dozer. I ran chains year round on the front of my S8 IH, i had to repair a broken link once in awhile, but no other issues. What issues are you having with chains ?

I ran a Case in Montana, it would spin around in its own tracks, fast skid dozer. I was trying to get the guy i was working for to try a rubber tired skidder, no way he'd kind of laugh at me. We were on a job that had to be done in x days. There was noway we could get it done with his D7 and the Case. There was a guy in town with a C5 that wanted to help, i told the boss to get him out here. To make a long story short, when he started skidding, we were in his way. He went up an down the mountain in a cloud of dust, that ole jimmy just a screaming. When he came down the hill fling by us and dropped the logs on the landing, i couldn't even see him unhooking in the cloud of dust. Then you'd here the Detroit bark, he'd make a loop, push the logs up on the pile and fly by up the hill again. He looked like Raccoon all i could see was the whites of his eyes, he was one hell of an operator. 8) He was pulling 200 logs a day, the best i ever did with the Case was 75 to a 100. This all took place up in the Yaak back in 1967.

If i went Dozer this is the one I'd want, grapple and winch on it.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

MEloggah

ide rather deal with chains no more hassel then they cause thyen deal with broken pads, loose tracks and the occasional track coming off. 

lumberjack48

I got a new 450 JD feller buncher, i could only run it about 3 hrs before i got a pounding headache, from the pounding i took running it. I had it 3 months and i told-em to come and get it, if i wanted to get beat up i'd go to the bar.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!