iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

World Record Production set on Manual Mill

Started by opticsguy, March 07, 2013, 11:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

World Record Production set on Manual Mill

Day #1
Rolled a "big" log, about 27" diameter X 10' long onto my manual mill.  After cutting off some elongated portions, cleaning the bark and getting things set up for the first cut.
2 slices later requred a blade change followed up by two more cuts.  New blade installed and began the new cut but the cutting is going SLOW and I smell the belt rubber smoking and the engine struggling.  Investigation showed my newly professionally sharpened blade diving straight to the center of the earth.  A second attempt at cutting with the same result and now onto my 3rd blade. Now time to rotate the log. UUUHGGG, this log is heavy!!!   Nothing works.

So, to the scrap pile, the drawing table and design up and build a manual winch for log rotation.

Day #2
Finished the new log winch, wraped cable onto the winch and attached to the log.  Started up the winch which promptly sucked the cable under tension to the center of the drum and no amount of pulling, yanking and cussing could free up the cable.  Got out the tractor and carefully pulled out the cable and reset again.  Inserted a lag bolt into to the log and almost got the log rotated only to have the 3/8" bolt bend over allowing the cable to come off.  So, off to the store for a 5/8" lag bolt and attempt number 47??   Got the log rotated. 

Wait, whats this?  One of those vertical log holds is bent over and crushed . . . . .  how did that happen?????   

And, oops, the log is too high for the machine which of course is at the wrong end and had to remove the blade to reset the mill.

Ok, now set up and made a couple of edge cuts and now another log rotation.  For some reason, there were no difficulties with the rotation other than the log is darned heavy and care is needed. 
Log rotated . . . . . Whats this???  Another vertical log hold is bent over and mangled.  how did this happen????? 

New cuts made on the third side, cutting is slow, what makes cottonwood such a slow wood to cut? 

Ok, now for one more more rotation and the the third log hold is just fine.

Day#3
Ok, now got the log set up and cutting 2" x 12" lumber and the boards are coming out just great!!!
Final production was about;
12   2x12x10"
Several 2X8, 2X6 and lots of dust, two broken log holders, a sore back, and 3 blades sent to retirement.

Ok, so is the world record for production on a manual mill?
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

roger 4400

:D :D :D Almost beat you once... see you had 3 nice days.....hang on.
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

mesquite buckeye

I think I have done something like this.  ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Barney II

I am no longer the self proclaimed record holder :D :D :D :D
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

submarinesailor

Just wait until you drop a really BIG one off the back side of the mill and you can't get to it with the tractor.  Now that will slow you down....just a little bit.  BTW - it was a good thing I could still run at the time. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ::)

Bruce

WDH

:D :D :D :D :D

I have been down that road, too  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I yield and my sawmill is not even manual.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!