iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How fast does a board walk?

Started by Kansas, March 07, 2013, 07:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

Okay, horrible pun. We are in need of cut lumber and the Amish contacted me yesterday. Guy said he had an EZ Boardwalk. What would be the realistic capacity of the mill cutting one inch random width lumber, possibly some 4x6 8 foot stuff. Mostly cottonwood. I am trying to figure out how long it would take for him to put together a semi load, and if he could get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

drobertson

kansas, I know lil bout this mill,  a friend had a similar one, 1000 feet a day,humping, good logs  8 bundles to a load?  lil over a week, , this is just a early morning guess, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

The Amish have a lot of help, I'd guess 1500 to 2000 at least.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

paul case

Yeah that 1000 ft is very doable with 1 man. I would guess much more with help. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Possibly something to consider...Cottonwood is subject to blue stain in warm (over 50 F) weather.  So a semi load of 12,000 bf might take up to two weeks and the wood that was over a week old would be likely to have stain unless stacked for air drying, which would take more time.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Kansas,

I agree, there are some variables here to consider, particularly Gene's.  Just left working with one of the Amish crews we routinely work with, they are fast and efficient folks.  So 1500 to 2000 is doable depending on logs.  What is the wood for?

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Kansas

Its all for pallet/dunnage. Blue stain won't matter.

Thank You Sponsors!