iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NB Native Stompin' Tom Connors passed away

Started by SwampDonkey, March 07, 2013, 05:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhauler

First i heard of him! Alot like our Curly Obrian! Seemed like Tom was a very nice guy!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

SwampDonkey

That's mainly because years ago he decided to be strictly Canadian. He had several Juno awards that he gave back in protest because it was awarded to non-Canadian musicians as well. He sold millions of albums, most all to the Canadian market.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

First time I have ever heard of him also, thanks for scharing his music.
Bill

Happycamper

Stomping Tom was a great embassader for Canada.
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I've liked Stompin' Tom Connors for many years. Since I'm married to a Newfoundlander, my favority song of his has always been "The Man in the Moon is a Newfie!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFBiN9y_bRM

Sad to hear he's gone. Always thought he was a "fine feller" as my wife would say.

Herb

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

ST Ranch

A real down to earth person and entertainer-I met him once way back in the 70's early in his career when he was going from bar to bar performing. I was heading back to work [camp job] on a Sunday afternoon south of Golden BC and picked up this fellow hitch-hiking - guy was carry a guitar case and small duffel and was hitchen from town to town. He rode with me for about an hour to the next town, where I let him off. Never let on who he was. It was a few years later when I saw him on a CBC television special that I figured out I had given him a ride a few years previous. Always liked the stories he told in his songs -all about real life and real people. 
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Ken

As I listen to CBC radio during the day I had a chance to hear many tributes to "Stompin Tom" today.  There was also many of his songs on the radio today.  Loved to hear them.  He was a devoted Canadian.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ryan D

ArborJake

The hockey song is a real good one. Now we got Corb Lund following in his foot steps. He is the most talented song writer out there in my opinion and pays tribute to Stompin Tom. If you havent herad of him I suggest you check him out.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

DonT

RIP Stompin Tom.  my favourite was Big Joe Mufferaw- a logging legend in the Ottawa valley.

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Warbird

NB?  Nebraska?  ;) 

I'd not heard of the man but being a fan of Johnny Cash, I seem to enjoy his music too.

SwampDonkey

Nebraska is the 13th province isn't it? :D

r.man

Federally we are listed as having two official languages but NB is the only bi-lingual province. Nebraska sounds like a nice place but the border would be a lot straighter and easier to patrol if we took in Maine and Vermont.  :)
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

SwampDonkey

Would've if the old fella who drew the line was sober. :D

woodandtractors

Swampdonkey--- Thanks so much for your original post-I'd never heard of Stompin Tom but now have spent several hours watching youtube videos of him. Great talent and a true national treasure of Canada.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

isawlogs

I am sure that Manitoba is also an official bi-lingual province.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Probably one of my favorite tunes from the old fella. Sudbury Saturday Night.  8) 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw7rzpvDvS0

reride82

Quote from: ArborJake on March 07, 2013, 09:14:25 PM
The hockey song is a real good one. Now we got Corb Lund following in his foot steps. He is the most talented song writer out there in my opinion and pays tribute to Stompin Tom. If you havent herad of him I suggest you check him out.

I always like 'Stompin Tom Connors', but I will admit I like Corb Lund more. I'm currently listening to 'I wanna be in the Calvary'. Growing up 25 miles from Canada, we got as many Canadian TV channels as we got American. Its sad to see a legend pass.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Thank You Sponsors!