iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding a decent Slick

Started by Ljohnsaw, March 07, 2013, 12:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

So I have a few smaller chisels - 1", 1 ½" - to do some work, but I will need a slick soon.  Somehow, Baileys found my daughters name and sent her an online coupon.  Looking around, they have a 2-3/8" slick that is not US made but has great reviews (except for the weak handle).  At $39.99, I'm thinking of giving it a shot.  Any other places I should look for a good US made one at a reasonable price?  The antique stores seem to think they are worth $250!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brad_bb

Have you checked with Jim Rogers inventory?  His tools are good and sold ready to work.
Other than that, Barr has a nice slick for $156.  He advertises in the For Sale section, and is also a moderator for the timberframing/log section.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

wdncno

Lee Valley Tools has a nice one for $119. comes with a steel tip guard that stays put with magnets.  My son bought one and seems happy with it.

logman

LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Brian_Weekley

Nothing like a good old tool with high quality steel.  I'd check with Jim Rogers first.  If you want a new one, I believe Barr is made in the USA.  Unfortunately, the one sold by Lee Valley is made in China.  John Neeman makes beautiful and reasonably priced tools (Latvia).  However, you'd have to get on a waiting list because his handmade tools are in great demand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64389P8_r78
e aho laula

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

losttheplot

I have some Barr chisels and I like them.
I have never used any other so I dont know how they compare.
I think the Barr chisels are a quality product at a reasonable price because it is a tool I will never regret buying.

I think the Chinese chisel for $40 is over priced.

I would rather go without, until I could afford a quality tool (A new one or used from Jim), than buy a cheap Chinese one.

I would say it is my 2 cents, but we don't have pennies in Canada anymore.
So have a Nickels worth on me  ;) :D
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Brian_Weekley

FYI:  Rooster informed me that John Neeman now sells his tools under his new company, "AutineTools".

http://www.autinetools.com/en/tools/chisels
e aho laula

S.Hyland

Ditto on the John Neeman. I have several of his tools and they are simply the best!
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

S.Hyland

I just did my research of both websites for Neeman tools and Autine tools. I hadn't realized that they split. How strange that Neeman's name ended up staying while he left. I haven't bought anything from Autine tools yet.
Does anyone have any insights as to comparing the two side by side, or is it too early?
On a superficial level, I think I prefer the aesthetic of Neeman Tools.     
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

barbender

I have a Barr drawknife, it is a very high quality tool.
Too many irons in the fire

Brad_bb

Quote from: S.Hyland on March 09, 2013, 12:00:07 AM
Does anyone have any insights as to comparing the two side by side, or is it too early?
On a superficial level, I think I prefer the aesthetic of Neeman Tools.   

Well John was the blacksmith making the blades, and I think that's the heart of the quality of the tools.  But he's also doing some very nice handles too.  Although the axes need the elm and similar hardwood for the handles, his knives and some other things are getting that awesome looking curly birch from over there. It looks like he's as good a handle maker as he is a master blacksmith!  The tools and knives are all hand made, and thus the cost reflects this.  I hope to to be able to buy one of his axes one day.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

S.Hyland

Hi Brad,
It looks like from their website that NeemanTools might have some good blade smiths too? I recently put in a pretty good sized order with them so I guess I will find out soon. Once I get the tools I'll post an update. I have a couple tools from earlier in 2012 to compare to.
― Wendell Berry

routestep

Saw this older post and thought I give a web site for tools.

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/aprlist2013.html

This tools are used for the most part. Many of them not used in framing, but for furniture making. Sometimes there is a slick in the list.

They do cost.

Thank You Sponsors!