iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time for a new tractor

Started by hackberry jake, March 06, 2013, 07:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

That Mahindra is a good looking tractor, Erik and 50 hp will do about everything you need. My little Kioti is only 30 hp and while it is limited, it's still as handy as a pocket on a shirt. I wouldn't take for the hydro tranny.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

beenthere

Quote from: flyboy16101 on March 13, 2013, 09:43:40 PM
Thats a nice machine OlJarhead, you wont be disapointed. Mahindra actually builds Deere's tractors in that size range. The only difference is the paint, the price, and the green tractors have cheeper bushings (at Deere's request)

I do not believe that is true. Where do you come up with that?

Back in the early 90's, Deere did rebadge Yanmar tractors, until they built their plant in Augusta, GA. For a few years, the smallest compact utility remained a Yanmar painted green.
Now they are green, ground up as I understand it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

flyboy16101

I thought it was mahindra but it could have been yanmar that makes them. I was talking with with some factory reps a few years ago at a farm show and that was there claim that if you set the two machines side by side there was only the three differences.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

rmack

Quote from: OneWithWood on March 13, 2013, 05:28:47 PM
I used to think standard trans were the only way to go with tractors.  Then I used a e-hydro out in the woods hauling logs and doing other clearing chores.  My land is comprised of ridges and gullies.  I can hold the tractor in place on a slope or close to the edge better than I ever could with a clutch, plus I do not need to fear slipping the clutch inadvertently and taking a dive.

X2

manual in the field, hydro in the bush.  8)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

OlJarhead

Last year I was told they were Yanmars when I was looking at a new Yanmar and made the claim that it looked an awful lot like the Deere's I saw.....
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

scottmtfarm

I have a 263 MF 4WD with FEL and love it. I bought it new in 2000 and it has paid for itself many times over skidding and loading logs, mowing and baling hay, plowing, and general farm work. It has manual 8 speed with shuttle fwd/rev.  We have many brands of tractors on our family farm including JD, Ford, A/C, and IH.  The main reason I chose the MF was because there is a dealer and parts place 20 minutes from home.  The features I would look for and enjoy the most are: FEL with bucket and forks with quick change system, 4wd, shuttle transmission, and enough weight to to the job safely.  As far as brand I would go with a close and dependable dealer/parts network.  I can't comment on hydro vs manual because all I have ever used is manual.

Finn1903

I do like the hydro tractors, my friends Kubota L3800 will run circles around my shuttle shift tractor.  I would argue for the Kubota over the compact Deere, the Kubota drive train is cast steel and I think the the Deere is  aluminum. 
For lifting and moving logs, the little Kubota will move logs nearly just as big as my 3930, but I can pick up the logs no problem with my forks, where as the Kubotas rear comes off the ground pretty easy.  The Kubota ends up half dragging logs around. 
I am looking for more of an industrial tractor to use around the mill and on the farm.  Maybe a 4x4 backhoe with flip over forks.  Farm tractors are ok, but they take a beating moving logs, that is why the big boys use skidders instead of large farm tractors.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

thecfarm

scottmtfarm,my NH dealer is twice that far,but the salesmen lives in the same town as I do. Does it count that he drops off any parts I need right to my door step?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scottmtfarm

thecfarm, you can't get any better than that.  Thats customer service and that is what counts.  Any tractor is worthless if it isn't running.  We use mostly NH hay equipment. The local NH dealer here stocks very few parts.  There is another about an hour away we use because they will meet us with parts and they usually have what we need in stock.

arlostone

i have a shuttle shift kubota my boss has almost the same model in hydro,for baling and brush hogging i'll take the hydro although it can be noisier,but for plowing snow i'lltake the shuttle because you can use the steering brake to spin on a dime.i've not run one but the mahindra's look like a hell of a rugged tractor for the money.just my 2 cents.i've run a few deeres as well and have no problems with them except price,prefer shuttles on them.
tk 1400

thecfarm

If I was going to buy a tractor to work in the woods and could not use wheels brakes,I would not want it. I use my brakes alot in the woods and even when digging with it too. Or even a tractor to work. It would be a bother without the brakes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GDinMaine

I don't know where the claim comes from, that he hydro tractors have no steering brakes.  If I understand right it is the split brake...right?.  If so, my hydro tractor - for one - has the steering brakes and I agree, they do come in handy at times.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

thecfarm

hackberry jake

When I brush hog around the pond bank, the uphill brake is usually the only form of steering.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Al_Smith

Yeah and if you get too close and sink a front wheel in the pond real quick like you'll be in it too .Ask me how I know . :D

Oh it wasn't so bad ,only in to the radiator .Left it run and fired up the dozer ,out it came .

arlostone

Quote from: GDinMaine on March 14, 2013, 10:01:35 PM
I don't know where the claim comes from, that he hydro tractors have no steering brakes.  If I understand right it is the split brake...right?.  If so, my hydro tractor - for one - has the steering brakes and I agree, they do come in handy at times.
just saying the kubota hydros i've used had the hydro pedal right under the split brake pedal making them almost impossible to use unless you had the ground speed lever set,i've seen JD's with the hydro pedals on the opposite side.just depends on the setup i guess.
tk 1400

arlostone

well iscrewed that up and got gdinmaines quote in my reply his words stop at handy :D :D
tk 1400

Handy Andy

When I bought the 4020, it was my big tractor, but now it is my small utility tractor.  I even got a new tractor the same size, except for FWA and cab heat AC radio etc, that I use to bale and feed in the winter, but can't part with the 4020.  Put a new clutch, rebuilt the shift linkage and new radiator this winter, the whole bill was 2600.  Bet you can't fix up a new one for that money.  Today I heard an ad on the radio for Mahindra, said they have a factory in the US, and are built here now.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Norm

Those 4020's are getting rare and have really increased in value in the last couple of years. We run a couple of open station 4320's and they are one of my favorite tractors to use.

thecfarm

Give me a hand guys,Model numbers I get last mighty quick with any kind of tractor. What kind is a 4020,hp? I take it kinda old? I suspect it's a 2wd, more of a field tractor?

chevytaHOE5674

4020 is about 95hp and was made from the mid 60's till the early 70's IIRC. It is/was a field tractor.

Larry

4020's are the best way to riches I know.  It seems the secret is to buy one, put a zillion hours on it, let it set outside with no maintenance, and sell it for double what you pay for it.

The first used one I bought years ago I put 2,000 hours on it, depreciated it out, and learned about paying federal taxes out it when I sold it.

I can't see the attraction these days as they are expensive to run and maintain.  There are a lot cheaper alternatives if you're looking for horsepower.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

The more I look at used tractor prices, the more I am thinking about getting a used backhoe.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

chevytaHOE5674

If you don't need a 3pt hitch and PTO then a backhoe is a very handy tool to have around. I would be lost without mine.

Left Coast Chris

We picked up an ex city owned 580 superD backhoe with the 4-in-1 bucket (clamping bucket) and it has been really handy.  It does weigh about 15k pounds.  I would not recommend it for rough or steep terrain.  Alot of weight up high with the hoe on it.  We only paid $8k but it had the engine rebuilt since the city idled it alot which over heats the rear cylinder.  Runs great now and only shows 3400 hrs.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Thank You Sponsors!