iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biodegradable hydraulic oil

Started by Offthebeatenpath, March 06, 2013, 04:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offthebeatenpath

I found a thread from 2005 about this, but I was wondering if anybody has recent experience with vegetable based or biodegradable hydraulic oil for agro-forestry applications?  I know that it is supposed to work the same as petroleum based hydraulic fluid, but I would love to hear testimonials...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

OneWithWood

I use it in some of my old equipment (who am I kidding, it is all old now).  You can dump a lot of oil in a hurry if you blow a hose in the woods.  I wish the price differential would come down some. 
I did not notice a major difference in performance.  If you use it in cold weather give it plenty of time to warm up.  I have not tested it but I would assume the gel point is a good bit higher than the petroleum based oils.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Offthebeatenpath

Glad to hear someone is still using it OnewithWood.  Anyone else?

I hear what you're saying about the retail cost being higher, but there is the larger picture of environmental cost.  I don't mind paying more up front if it's a one time payment, but every value system has it's ceiling.  If using biodegradable oil is going to hurt my equipment in the long run, I don't think I can justify it.  I would be using it primarily in cold weather.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Thank You Sponsors!