iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hey "old guys"...they tell me my knee is about shot

Started by hillbillyhogs, March 06, 2013, 02:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillyhogs

So, knees have been bothering me terribly!  Said left one "cushion" is GONE and right one about 50%. Don't want to take the medicine they gave me..I'll be high as a kite! I'm a VERY cheap drunk :laugh: :laugh:

I know I can't be the first one to go through this...... anyone have knee replaced, etc. and still working? I'm too young for this crap!!!

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

Moved your topic in here because you'll get better information.   :)
Say when

thecfarm

My Father had one done maybe late 60's. I forgot. But he still cut wood after he had the knee replaced. When I was working he would walk up into the woods and cut trees and limb them. Than when I days off I would haul the tractor over and we would twitch out what he cut. He was in some pain as you are. I don't think we was cutting wood when he had it done. But he was cutting his firewood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Happycamper

Hillbilly,
  Live with the  knee, knees, as long as you possibly can. Try some Glusosamine Sulfate (spelling) that may help. it's cheap to buy. Works with 70% of the people that use it.Tends to recushion the knee. The procedure is much better now than it was just a few short years ago but will never be the same or as good as the original. Had both hips done one 13 years ago and one 2 years ago, one knee is shot also but will use it as long as I can W/O replacement. The dr. and I agree on that one. I still hike and backpack and just bought a mill to help keep me in shape.
                                Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

thecfarm

Happycamper,you still hiking with a bum knee? No way my Father could do that. And he was the type that had no use for doctors. In fact i think that was the first time I can remember him going to a doctor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Happycamper

thecfarm,
  You bet I still hike just love it. Photo below is hike 2.8Km or 2 miles up  3100 ft. of elevation gain a real grunt with 40 lbs. on my back but always worth it.
                                       Jim

chet

Had a total replacement on da left one a couple of years ago. Best thing I ever done.  8) I will never let da other one go as long.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Brucer

Barb had both her knees replaced. First one when she was 58 and the second one 7 months later. On her first consult the Orthopedic surgeon said she was awfully young for a full knee replacement. Then he looked at her X-rays, and said "Oh". No cartilage left at all.

We did a lot of reading and web searches beforehand. The general opinion is that you should leave it as long as you can (especially at your age) because the artificial knee will never be as good as the original. If you wait until you're having serious mobility issues then the replacement knee will seem to be a vast improvement.

That was Barb's experience. It gave her a whole knew life. Before the surgery she had a tough time with stairs, had to quit walking and snowshoeing in the woods, and found it more and more difficult to get in and out of the car. Now she does all those things. There are things you can't do afterwards, like kneel on the floor (hurts too much, even 6 years later). You can't flex your knees as much as you could with a healthy knee. But there's a good chance you'll be mobile without pain again.

Glucosamine Sulfate usually helps. Chondroitin Sulfate mixed with it sometimes works even better. The effect vary from person to person. Anti-inflammatories can help but that's something you need to discuss with your doctor. I've a friend who put off surgery for two years by wearing a knee brace.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

doctorb

Sorry.  Missed this topic yesterday.  I'll read it and reply when I have a moment at work today.  I think I avoided it because I didn't want to put myself in the "old guys" category.  I don't think I can avoid that either!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doctorb

Lots of detailed stuff in this thread-

hillbillyhogs:  Your docs are probably NOT going to put you on narcotics for arthritis pain, so you won't get "high as a kite" from the meds.  What did he perscribe?  If you undestand the meds better, you won't be so prone to not want to take them.  Anti-inflamatory drugs do not have a euphoric effect!

There is absolutely no 'recushioning" of the knee with glucosamine / chondroitin.  As a culture, we tend to believe that supplements made up of some of the ingredients of our worn out tissues will regenerate those tissues.  Sure, there are vitamin deficiencies and other dietary maladies that we can force on ourselves, but these "cartilage regenerators" do NOT do that.  Blinded studies do not show a significant effect from these meds, but many people have benefited from them.  So, go ahead and try the glucosamine (I disagree about one thing - it's not that cheap!).  It may act more like an anti-inflamatory drug than anything else.  If it works, then keep going.  But do not take it under the belief that you are rebuilding your damaged worn out cartilage.  You are not.

The number one gain from a total knoee is pain relief.  They are not meant to return your knee to NORMAL.  They are designed to give you adequate motion to do most activities with a significant decrease in pain.  They can wear out and need revision, so the tendency to wait until you are over 60 y.o. is a good one.  However, more and more younger patients have worsening arthritis, and they are commonly done in patients over 50 y. o. now.  If you are markedly overweight, your doc may be less inclined to perform the surgery at a relatively younger age because the chance of needing a revision is greater is such patients.  Good Luck.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

OneWithWood

Before you undergo surgery get fitted for a good pair of work boots.  I had terrible knee and back pain until I found a pair of boots that actually fit me.  Stretching every morning helps a bunch too and it is free.  When is the last time you touched your toes and held it for 40 seconds?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodandtractors

Had my right knee replaced Jan. 06,left one Nov. 2010. Had been taking 800mg ibuprofen quite a while before getting the first one done til I started worrying about my liver. Best advice I can give you is to find the Dr. that replaces joints full-time AND has mostly satisfied patients! Very important. The type I recieved has a (plastic or nylon I think) wear pad that is replaceable as outpatient surgery. The original(replacement)surgery took between 2 and 3 hours,and yes,there is pain involved.If and when you do this,follow all Dr.'s orders and take all the meds they prescribe for pain-your body will heal faster when you are comfortable,and you won't become an addict in the brief time you're taking the drugs. During PT or rehab,I found that taking meds just before starting PT lessened discomfort after. I have no knee pain now. I will say that my days of kneeling down are over,unless there's a thick cushion or pillow between knee and hard surface.
Hope this helps you.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

fat olde elf

Since you do not post your age, i'm not sure if you are old enough....My wife had her first replacement 20 years ago at age 57. Changed her whole deal for the better. Other knee done five years later at age 62. Same wonderful results. Original replacement lasted 17 years and was redone at age 74. Her hospital stay was 32 hours.  She was recently diagnosed for a hip replacement on 6-4-13. She will stay overnight since we live 30 miles from the hospital....
I had my left hip replaced at 63 and have zero problems for 12 years, I operate a manual bandmill and no limitations..... Consult with a good orthopedic surgeon. Do all the therapy they suggest, especially with a knee. All of our surgeries were done on our schedule. Same surgeon did them all and he told us that we would decide when we had had (RIP TOM) enough pain and we were ready.  Good luck with your deal. Keep us posted
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

pigman

Quote from: OneWithWood on March 07, 2013, 12:23:43 PM
  When is the last time you touched your toes and held it for 40 seconds?
About 50 years ago. :( My body was not made in such a way that it could bend at the waist like a normal person.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Brucer

Doctorb, you're not an "old guy", you're our resident consultant ;D.

Many years ago our city's new (and very young) recreation director was reporting to city council on her first year of operation. Everything was up from the previous years -- more activities offered, higher enrollment in each of them, more instructors, etc., etc. The only thing she felt she had failed at was attracting more Seniors. She had run special classes for Seniors, made special presentations, tried to get "Seniors groups" involved, all to no avail.

The Mayor looked kindly at her and explained: "The reason you haven't got any interest from Seniors is that there's a bunch of 80 and 90 year-olds in this small city who think Seniors are people who are old."

:D :D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

beenthere

Amen to that!!

If they make it over a hundred, then call 'em seniors.
;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Happycamper

Brucer,
I'll second that motion.
                          Jim, Sicamous

Woodboogah

My father who is 63 just had one done and is already scheduled for his second one at the end of april.  Before the replacement he did what he could to avoid surgery, there was only so much.  He was out of his hospital bed day two after surgery, he is just about fully recovered now.  He regrets not doing it sooner.  He feels better, gets around better (his right knee is still junk)  he is excited to get his other one done and get back to the woods.  I hope this helps a little bit.  Good luck!
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

54Dutchman

I had a total knee replacement (age 54) and followed the pre-surgery and post surgery exercise and got full motion out of the knee.  The theropy was not really that much fun to strech the knee parts to gain the full motion but end result is worth it.  I have not let pain stop me from an end result (remeber this was all done under profession care).
In short you can do it.

Todd

Guess I gotta put myself in this group (sigh)
Started eating better and running the 3 flights of stairs at work this February..3 weeks ago went walking/ jogging for the first time since the weather was nicer..jogged 6 days in a row...only 1 9 min mile a day...7th day terrible right knee pain..got better last week..yesterday after 3 hours behind the push mower and other yard work I decides to take a jog..1/4 mile warm-up walk to the corner and back..get to my driveway..start the stopwatch on my phone..second jogging step "POP" in right knee..hobble back to house...this stinks!
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Sonofman

Todd, I love to run. About 4 years ago, my knees started giving me trouble and I had to stop. I was doing 5 miles in 45 min 3 times a week. I was in shape to do a lot more, this is where I chose to stop each time. I understand knee problems are about inevitable when running. If you run correctly, coming down on the heel and rolling forward onto the ball of the foot to launch the next stride, the shock of the landing is transmitted up the back of the leg, sparing the knee much of its otherwise harsh treatment.

I now ride a bike and love it. I live in the country and have lots of little country roads with good hills for a workout and almost no traffic. I am no doctor, but I would advise you to quit while you are ahead and pick some other form of exercise that will spare your knees.
Located due west of Due West.

Todd

Sonofman...yea...I think my jogging days may be history. Bad news, wanted to do some 5k's with wife and daughters, good news, Every stride of every run I was conscious of the fact that I hated running...lol

Went to my doctor yesterday..he's about 5'5" and maybe 140#...has me lay back and tries manipulating my leg side to side and twisting it to see where it hurt..looked like a kid wrestling with a telephone pole! Told him I exert a lot more pressure just walking than he could and that the pain was constant but no weakness..figures it's a torn meniscus (sp?)..going to see the orthopedic guy Fri.  Only thing I hate about riding a bike is how long/far I have to go to get the same workout as running...the limiting factor for me on rides isn't my legs, it's how long my butt can take it!
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Ken

I have had a couple major surgeries with one foot so running to get in shape will never be an option.  So is the consensus that bike riding is good for knees?  I have one knee that bothers me greatly and I think it is largely related to high intensity manual logging and competitive sports over the years. 

As I now spend much more time sitting in a seat pushing buttons, pulling levers or steering I am coming to the conclusion that I need to do more from the fitness side.  After several hours in a seat my knees are not user friendly. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Sonofman

Ken, I am no doctor but I can tell you from my experience that bike riding does not bother my knees at all, and running sure did. Ask your doctor or Physical Therapist.

Todd, I currently ride about 25 miles in just under 2 hours or so. I want to get the time down and keep about that distance. This sure gives me a good cardio workout. It does not do much for the upper body, but then running does not either.

The seat problem was solved for me by the use of a jell pad that ties onto that narrow little seat. It improves things about 100%
Located due west of Due West.

Thank You Sponsors!