iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what to use to clean the glass?

Started by proteus, March 06, 2013, 10:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

proteus

I was just wondering what others used to clean the glass on their wood burners? I know it only stays clean a short time, but it is nice to sit down with a cold beverage ;) after a long week of work, relax and watch the fire :) I currently use a single edge razor blade. Does anyone have a better idea?
Greg

thecfarm

Was it on here I heard of wood ash and water?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

QuoteI heard of wood ash and water

A friend of mine does that. After an evening fire, and before the next one, he takes a wet paper towel and dips it in some of the ashes and lightly scrubs the glass clean. Saw him do it, and found it quite effective.
On my VC Defiant, I don't clean the glass very often. When I do, I remove the glass (easy to do) and soak before using a razor blade. Maybe clean once a year as they don't get very bad - most of the time.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tempforce

i've used easy off oven cleaner.  stinks real bad tho..
cleaning up wildfire damage...
making lumber and siding out of wildfire damaged trees.

proteus

Quote from: tempforce on March 06, 2013, 11:04:32 AM
i've used easy off oven cleaner.  stinks real bad tho..

I hate the smell of oven cleaner. I think I will give the water and ash a try ;D
Thanks for the suggestions!
Greg

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

proteus

Greg

trapper

Quote from: proteus on March 06, 2013, 01:00:46 PM
Quote from: Corley5 on March 06, 2013, 12:18:32 PM
Ether

you sure your'e not trying to put me to sleep? :-\

That rag of ether is the last thing I remembered when at 5 they put me to sleep to take my eye out. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Weekend_Sawyer

Windex works fine. I clean mine about once a month.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

bill m

I never have to clean the glass in my wood stove. It started to soot up one time and I found it was because of the way I was operating it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

proteus

Bill, are you going to keep it a secret? I have a Jøtul F 500 Oslo and it is non-catalytic. It has a side door, which I use for filling and a front door with glass, which I have to clean alot(about every other day) :'(
I did try the water and ash and it did work well.
Quote from: bill m on March 06, 2013, 07:48:27 PM
I never have to clean the glass in my wood stove. It started to soot up one time and I found it was because of the way I was operating it.
Greg

stumper

I know is is much more expensive then what you gentleman use, but I use MY WIFE!!! :D

47sawdust

After installing an outside air intake on my Hearthstone Mansfield the glass seldom needs cleaning.When it does,I remove the excess with a single edge razor then clean it with a fine grit scotch brite pad and windex.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Al_Smith

If you get a good hot fire blazing away it will burn the carbon off .

southernilfarm

I use Imperial Clear Flame cleaner.  It sprays on and easily dissolves the mess.  I've used about a quarter of a 22 oz bottle this winter.  I purchased this product at my local Rural King store for a few dollars.  When I'm burning good dry elm, I never have any carbon build up on the glass.  Add some of my less dry oak, and I get more of a mess.

My Harmon TL200 stove instructions explicitly states "do not use ammonia based cleaners" and "sharp objects" on the glass.  I avoid those.

Thanks,
Mike
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL and other cool attachments.

jackfork

I have an old Country Flame insert that gets sooty no matter what I do. I use wet newspapers with ash to clean the glass.
540 acres of which appox. 300 is wooded, 10 acres of water, and rest open pasture.
Timberwolf TW-5, Stihl 180, 270, 660, Echo CS-680

proteus

I tried the damp cloth with ash and seemed to work well. Then I tried just the damp cloth and it worked just as well.  8)
Quote from: jackfork on March 14, 2013, 11:01:04 PM
I have an old Country Flame insert that gets sooty no matter what I do. I use wet newspapers with ash to clean the glass.
Greg

tyb525

We replaced our glass with cast iron inserts. Now the glass never gets dirty ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

clww

We use a soapy brillo pad and water.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

LittleB

I just take a sheet of newspaper, crumble it up and 'scrub' the glass with it.  Works really well.  I've used special wood stove glass cleaner before but like the newspaper solution better.

ddcuning

For the thick stuff we use a razor blade, to clean the rest, baking soda on a damp rag seems to work well.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Richard PM

Another product that works really well and won't even damage paint is Spray Nine fireplace cleaner item # 15022, But I like the wife comment the best, I'll have to try that one!

maple flats

We also use a damp paper towel, just lay it on the finest looking ash in the stove and wipe. Then I use a clean towel and it is clean. We clean it every day, in the morning after letting it go out in the middle of the night.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

plaindriver

We use SOS pads + water. Any real stubborn spots, we chase them with a razor blade. Lasts a day or two before loading up again. Problem is, that we burn almost 24-7 in the winter, and its tuff to get the glass to cool enough to clean it.

Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

Thank You Sponsors!