iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our new(ish) toy!

Started by SPD748, March 05, 2013, 11:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPD748

So my Dad calls me the other day and says, "Hey, what's a 240 Massey worth?" I ask specifics, loader? 4 wheel drive? and so on. He says that it's 2 wheel drive with a loader and a flat rear tire. Around 700 hours. I say, "Maybe $6000 or so." He says, "Really, that much? Well I think that I've picked one up for a good deal then." The next day I go over to his place to have a look. A quick trip to the tire place yields a new tube for the flat rear. Upon installing the tube and filling the tire I say, "So, how much do you have in it?" He replies, "With that tube, $550."

:o :o :o

Now I'm in full interrogation mode. After a battery of questions, he produces the original bill of sale from 1996. The original owner used the tractor for about ten years before his health declined. It has set in a shed since then. He finally decided to sell it and called my Dad. I explained to my Dad that he obviously has a golden horse shoe hidden somewhere about his body. He laughed. Other than the flat tire, there was nothing wrong with the tractor. I ordered a quick attach adapter for the loader that cost more than the entire tractor :D.

I think it'll come in handy around the mill!

What do you guys think?

-lee

Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

beenthere

For sure a steal. Now hope he doesn't get charged for stealing.  ;D ;D ;D

Right place, right time.   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

captain_crunch

good counter weight on back and you are good to go Tires are worth more than Ole Dad paid. Loader alone 1500 here Widen out rear wheels if only used fer mill They have several settings on width
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

scully

Thank you for showing me that my dream realy could come true ....
I bleed orange  .

SPD748

Quote from: captain_crunch on March 06, 2013, 12:25:21 AM
good counter weight on back and you are good to go Tires are worth more than Ole Dad paid. Loader alone 1500 here Widen out rear wheels if only used fer mill They have several settings on width

I think we're going to install wider tires on the front. I don't think those narrow tires are rated for the amount of weight the loader is capable of lifting. Also, it's hard to tell from the pictures but the rears are a little rough. I have a friend who's wanting them if we take them off so we may upgrade those as well. I did some checking and it looks like we can put 16.9-28's on the stock wheels. If we go that route, I can add ~750 lbs per tire in water/antifreeze weight. Also, if we go wider on the rear, the rims will have to be spread out as the wider tire will hit the fender.

-lee

Serving Since 2002

Chuck White

What a deal!

Nice!

Adjusting the tires out wider will add to the stability of the tractor!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Leigh Family Farm

Can I borrow your dad to go truck shopping?  :D ;) Geez, I don't even need a tractor but if someone offered me a working one for $500, I'd buy it on the spot. Congrats on the sweet score! 
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

John_Haylow

Very nice tractor. Dad did well. The tire shop will probably recommend a heavier ply rating with the loader.

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

justallan1

I think I'd be hanging out with Dad and his friends more, plus you'll hear stories that you and I will never live.
Allan

paul case

Good deal for sure. way to go.

As for the tires on the front you are correct, they will not put up with the punishment that a front end loader can dish out. I like to use 10 ply(load range e) pickup truck tires on mine. A wore out truck tire will last a long time on the front of a tractor. They can usually be picked up fairly reasonable at your local tire shop. Mud and snow tires wont tear up the ground as bad when turning as those 3 rib tractor fronts.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

I think he stole it.. ;) With that loader, I would swap out the front tires AND RIMS. I think a standard 6 hole wheel off a 3/4 ton pickup will fit.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

Change all the filters and fuilds and it will be that much better. That is a good idea to load up the tires too. Nice looking tractor. 700 hours would be brand new to me. I put that on in one year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jd_odell

Heck of a deal but I prefer green.   ;D

Finn1903

he stole that tractor, nice find. 
Loader looks similar to the one I have on my 3930, add some forks, fix the front tires, get the water set up in the rear tires, add a counter weight or box blade to the rear and your set. 
It will be really handy around the mill especially when moving 8/4 boards onto the forks.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

4speed

Wow! And I thought my $500 1941 9N was a great deal!

Tim Lea

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Tractor looks confiscated due to the fact the owner was manufacturing within the proximity of a school or park.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

captain_crunch

Wheels off 1/2 ton will not fit and 3/4 ton are 8 hole where as 1/2 ton are 6 hole Have tried it before :P :P Just be careful about over loading it spindles are weak point on them. Should last forever long as you go slow and stay on decent ground and don't turn sharp with heavy log. Don't ask me how I know this ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

SPD748

Quote from: captain_crunch on March 07, 2013, 12:55:51 AM
Wheels off 1/2 ton will not fit and 3/4 ton are 8 hole where as 1/2 ton are 6 hole Have tried it before :P :P Just be careful about over loading it spindles are weak point on them. Should last forever long as you go slow and stay on decent ground and don't turn sharp with heavy log. Don't ask me how I know this ::) ::)

Does anyone know exactly what the weak part is? The connection between the spindle and down tube maybe? The main beam assembly? I noticed that industrial tractors seem to always have a heavier fabricated beam or even a cast iron beam. Would something as simple as a gusset in the right place strengthen the assembly?

-lee

Serving Since 2002

beenthere

I don't know exactly where the weakest part is, but suspect if you strengthen it then something else will become that weakest part. So it goes.....

I'd not worry about it, as normal use with a counter-balance behind the rear wheels, that the front end will take anything that the loader is going to lift.

Not hot-rodding fast with a load, and not turning against an immovable obstruction (hole, ditch, buried log, etc.) will save some grief.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

circlesawn

Nice tractor for the money.  What I would do with that tractor is repair all the small issues and swap it for a rough terrain forklift.  Then you will have a real piece of handy equipment for use at your mill.  Nothing is as aggravating as a farm tractor with a FEL and loaded heavy when it's bouncing and rocking trying to move logs or lumber fast and accurately.

Just a couple of pennies tossed in.  Roger

SPD748

Quote from: circlesawn on March 08, 2013, 11:16:35 AM
Nice tractor for the money.  What I would do with that tractor is repair all the small issues and swap it for a rough terrain forklift.  Then you will have a real piece of handy equipment for use at your mill.  Nothing is as aggravating as a farm tractor with a FEL and loaded heavy when it's bouncing and rocking trying to move logs or lumber fast and accurately.

Just a couple of pennies tossed in.  Roger

I seriously thought about that very thing. A RT forklift would certainly be more suited for the task. My Dad is busy busy busy fixing all the small issues on the tractor as we speak. I did a quick search and it looks like a decent RT forklift can be had for about what this tractor is worth.

-lee

Serving Since 2002

bandmiller2

Lee,do you know what the loader is rated for.? Most logs worth cutting are around a ton,if its rated for much less,you will be wanting.Also power steering is very handy.Even as a loader with a bucket it would be handy  around the mill for sawdust,and pulling a slab trailer. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SPD748

Frank,

The loader is rated for ~3000 lbs at the ground and ~1500 lbs at full lift height. Also, it has power steering.

The 'rating' thing has me wondering about tires. Well, I'm down right confused about tire ratings to be specific. Ok, my 410 Deere backhoe has 11L-16SL Titan 'Contractor F-3' front tires. According to the manufacturer, they are rated for 2470 lbs @ 52 psi. That's 4940 lbs for two tires. With a bucket full of dirt, the machine will have WAY more than 5k lbs on the front axle. What gives? Is it just a 'safety' rating meaning the tires will hold more than indicated on the sidewall?

-lee

Serving Since 2002

beenthere

I suspect plenty of safety built into the specs. I just don't see overloaded tires ever failing, IIRC

Until you see a problem, I wouldn't suggest trying to "fix" it. ;)

You say the loader is rated at 3000#, yet you think you will have way over 5000# with bucket of dirt?  ??  (or that be the Deere backhoe/loader? )
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!