iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

30 miles from my mill. This is all the info the public has.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 05, 2013, 09:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

High-tech sawmill buzzing into county
By LARRY HILLIARD Ledger Staff Writer larry@gaffneyledger.com
Cherokee County has landed a state-of-the-art sawmill operation.

Associated Hardwoods, based in Granite Falls, N.C., plans to invest $7 million in the project, which will employ as many as 29 people.

The company could close on the proposed site on Gaffney Ferry Road near Cherokee Speedway by the end of the month, and the sawmill could be operational by this fall.

Cherokee County Development Board Director Jim Cook said the facility will bear little resemblance to sawmills of the past.

"It's not what people think when they think of sawmills," Cook said. "It's completely state-ofthe art and very computer automated."

The company was founded in 1978 by Dick Jordan, an Army veteran with a forestry degree from the University of Georgia.

Cherokee County Council on Monday approved an inducement resolution for the project that includes a fee-in-lieu and infrastructure tax credits.

Monday's announcement wraps up negotiations that have been ongoing for about a year. The project was originally known as "Project Buzzsaw."

"The company is going to be a good fit for the county," Cook said.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I heard, just a rumor, there gonna just mill hardwood and ship over seas. Just a rumor though.

Peter Drouin

With that kind of mill they will put all the loggers to work and the land owners will make money too , but that sawmill wont cut 10 or 20 of the land owners logs , to little to fuss with, so the land owners will ask the loggers to leave some logs for them, and they will bring them to you, because they have a pocket full of money from selling there trees :D :D and some one like you will be so busy cutting out barns and all kind of things, ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

There will still be plenty for you to cut, David!

For example, a few years ago I was contacted to cut cull logs after a logging operation was finished cutting on an old homestead in this area!

I ended up cutting over 12,000 board feet of lumber from that cull log pile!

And besides, you're mobile.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 05, 2013, 09:51:30 PM
........ little resemblance to sawmills of the past.

"It's not what people think when they think of sawmills," Cook said. "It's completely state-ofthe art and very computer automated."

But isn't this is what people say about your Woodmizer already?   :D :D    I think Peter and Chuck are right.   Life's never boring.  Wishing you the best.   8) 8) 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

That will be good for the area. I was in a big commercial mill about 5 years ago. Everything is controlled in a big booth with bunches of screens to watch and I suppose bunches of computer and scanners. We got to talk to the "sawyer" and he had plenty of time to answer questions and talk. If they give a tour,take it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

After they get set up and going find out what there capacity limits are and then fix it for them.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on March 06, 2013, 05:43:03 PM
After they get set up and going find out what there capacity limits are and then fix it for them.  ;D

Good idea Jake.  :D  I know they will be giving out invites once they get set up. I feel sure the Forest Service will get one and you can bet I will be there. I don't know how long it will be before the place is built but one day, I can assure you, I will get some pictures of this mill.  :)

Ga Mtn Man

Jake is still "fixin it" for those boys down in Hazelhurst. :D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ohio_Bill

David, I have 2 Big Mills within a few miles of me. They both cut well over 100k a day. I have a business relationship with one of the mills and I don't feel they have hurt my opportunity for customers in anyway.  I think if anything they actually help by establishing or reinforcing true value to your service and products. The one large Mill regularly sends me customers. I also sell them some of my grade logs because they will pay me more for some of the logs than I could get out of the lumber. At this time I only saw part time. 2 or 3 days a week. This year I plan to work at sawing fulltime and I hope to expand my working relationship with the one large Mill.  When Cherry was up a few years ago I sold green grade lumber to one Large Mill and that went well. I think your new neighbor will be a good thing.

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

SAWMILL BUDDY

The one big mill close to me only cuts up to 16'. They send customers that want longer boards and beams to me.

gwilson

I sure hope this comes through. Give us loggers/foresters another market for the logs. Now we need a good home for pine saw logs to compete with the veneer mill near us. I'm not too far from Cherokee county well within trucking distance.  8) :)

outerbanxer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 05, 2013, 09:51:30 PM

infrastructure tax credits.

If you continue the relationship with your clients, and stick to your principles of sawing....the text I quoted is your saving principle.

State gave them a deal they couldn't refuse with tax credits to build there. They will rape the area and then move on. You won't be affected not one iota, probably get busier when the word gets out about the corporate world, and how long it takes them to pay for logs that have been sawed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm not worried at all. Most of my business comes from the opposite direction. But there are a hand full of good bandmills closer to this Company than me. I'm thinking this place will be selling lumber by the train car load and shipping over seas.

barbender

Poston has been supplied with cull logs from a commercial mill before :D How did that work out, David? :D
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on March 07, 2013, 10:32:53 PM
Poston has been supplied with cull logs from a commercial mill before :D How did that work out, David? :D

You're right Barbender,  :D They pull up in the yard with a load like this and said, "I got a load of logs for Dave".
I take one look and them and say, "DAVE AIN'T HERE".  :D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 08, 2013, 09:56:11 AM
Quote from: barbender on March 07, 2013, 10:32:53 PM

You're right Barbender,  :D They pull up in the yard with a load like this and said, "I got a load of logs for Dave".
I take one look and them and say, "DAVE AIN'T HERE".  :D

Hmmmmmm....

Brings back memories of Big Bamboo.

Herb

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!