iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad Logging Job?

Started by GATreeGrower, March 05, 2013, 09:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

Sometimes I drive this dirt road when I'm wasting time...and I noticed somebody had cut their timber.  What do you guys think about this logger's use of the road?

WDH

Not too bad given all the rain that we have had.  The road can be re-shaped nicely with a motorgrader once it is drier.  However, i would not advise driving the skidder in the ditch. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Not bad to me. BUT I would have it fixed when it hardens up. Be it regraded and or more gravel hauled in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tyb525

Looks like he drove into the ditch to deepen/widen it, maybe for better drainage?

Hard not to make a mess of things with a big machine like that.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

BaldBob

Around here the state would have shut him down for continuing to log in those conditions.

MEloggah

i wouldnt call it too tough. when we file an intent to cut with the town we let them know we plan to put the road back into shape equal too or betyter then its original condition. we usually back drag and touch it up for passable traffic aty the end of every day too.

chevytaHOE5674

Doesn't look too bad to me. Once the job is finished up that road is an easy fix with a grader.

GATreeGrower

Quote from: BaldBob on March 06, 2013, 03:42:30 AM
Around here the state would have shut him down for continuing to log in those conditions.
Thats what I was thinking originally, that it was bad practice to log when its that wet

thecfarm

It's hard sometimes not too log when it's wet sometimes. Even though some loggers would like to stop,but can't due to payments and putting food on the table is a factor too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Sure a lot easier to fix this dirt road, than if it was an improved road with topping and such. And fortunate that someone hasn't slapped him with a fine for just messing it up. It will dry and it can be graded back smooth.
Obvious the road hasn't been very well maintained with lack of ditches to drain the water away. So I don't see a thing wrong with using it to get the job done and then repair it back to how it was found.
But then, it is another easy thing for the gov't bodies to do as they sit back behind their desk and issue orders to stop using their roads. Gives them the power they seek. And that power is ever increasing and surrounding our every move.
If we stopped farming every time we made a track through the farm yard, nothing would have been accomplished. The manure would have piled up, the livestock would not have been fed, and a whole lot of other related problems.  ;D
thecfarm said it well
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bill Johnson

Does not look too bad to me, and its nice to see they've put a culvert in the ditchline where the road into the block takes off.  A little grading once things start to dry up will make everything good again. So from a compliance point of view if this happened in an area where I was keeping an eye on things I won't have too much heartburn.

But if this was the final condition of the road after everything was done then that would be a different story.
Bill

Texas Ranger

not real bad, the follow up in dry weather is what will count, would like to see if they do redo (not quite a Tom) the road.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Gary_C

Quote from: beenthere on March 06, 2013, 10:09:32 AM
But then, it is another easy thing for the gov't bodies to do as they sit back behind their desk and issue orders to stop using their roads. Gives them the power they seek. And that power is ever increasing and surrounding our every move.

That is becoming more and more of a problem with cutbacks in funding.

Some of the town boards around here are demanding bonds for loggers to even use their roads. And no matter how the loggers leave the roads, they keep the bonds because they say they have to grade the roads.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ianab

In this part of the world that would be the DRY weather  :D

Unless you are going to lift the logs out with a helicopter, then logging is going to make some temporary mess of some form. Of course you should try and minimise that, but working in soft damp dirt there is only so much you can do.

Real question is what it looks like after they have left. Graded, drainage ditches reformed, a bit of gravel spread on top? All good.

Packing up and leaving it like that? Not so good...  >:(

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

justallan1

I'd say if they leave it like that or if someone presently lives on the road, that's a problem. If it's not being used for other things right now, I see it the same as Thecfarm, folks still have to feed their families and pay bills.
Allan

treefarmer87

I wish mine was like that >:(, im cutting up against a creek/swamp bottom.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

customsawyer

Wait till they leave before you get to excited.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

log cutter

Can't comment on the logging ....but the road is fine ...the main road you can make it in two wheel drive , ....the spur road nothing a little dry weather and a blade can't fix...The logger did a good job of smoothing the road up considering how soft it is.
Timbco 475E

coxy

not bad at all have seen a lot worse  the job end will tell

KBforester

Not bad considering there are no per-existing ditches or gravel. You could argue that the road wasn't designed well... but if your like me, are your closest source of gravels is cost prohibitive to use, you make due with what you have.

Just to note, as a forester/contractor, I don't appreciate people coming into my job sites and taking pictures when no one is around to explain whats going on. Its by no means illegal (unless its posted/private property), just not very polite. I wouldn't open up someone else s brief case or laptop and start making corrections or judgments on their TPS reports. Its our office, sometimes the desk is a bit messy.

If you have a concern that they are impacting your personal or a public resource, then that is a different matter.

I've had have a fella come around to my job sites on Sundays, find the worst (only) wet hole we made on the job, take pictures, and send them out in a slanderous email to as many people as he can. Its a real nightmare. Your obviously not doing that, and your not attaching a name to the picture, but some of us lose a lot of sleep at night over stuff like this.
Trees are good.

coxy

thecfarm

KB,that's how some people are with the wet hole. One pictuce does not tell the whole story but it does tell a bad story.

grassfed

The big thing to try to avoid in logging and farming is runoff. You want to prevent water from picking up speed running down hill and carrying topsoil/sediment into waterways. Other than runoff you want to minimize soil compaction as much as possible. Soil compaction is not an issue on a road that will stay a road. If runoff is not occurring from the road than I don't see any problem based on your pictures.   
Mike

OneWithWood

KB made a very important point.  We have a local group that prides itself on taking pics mid harvest and then publishing those pics all over the place to make the point harvesting is destroying the resource.
They never publish a pic after the grading, reseeding and closeout.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!